Hacking WIP Audio Driver (We don't know if it works)

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 14,614
  • Replies 53
  • Likes 7

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-
It's easier to just assume in this forum. Idk who he is, but a comment like that is not welcome imo. He can choose not try it. But for anyone to put down someone giving potentially useful work, is not ok.

Also, a sound driver is just a sound driver. You can enable the device without actually using any output, so the whole "blow my speaker up" thing is just bullshit. To even think that a driver can blow your speaker is a bit preposterous. Now, if you were to tell me, "here are some modified mixer files, try them out", that's a different story.
Anyone who know anything about compiling a kernel, will tell you that adding a sound driver to the kernel and enabling via menuconfig is the least risky thing you could do

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isnt the Audio chip made by Realtek? They usually have good support on PC hardware even though they are kinda crappy soundcards, at least they support very old chips on recent systems unlike soundcards we buy and they stop supporting them in like 4 years...

Also what if you try some oem realtek drivers to see what happens?

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, aren't you a kind person!
I hope you get a Joy-Con lodged in your trachea.
Reminder: you liked two of my posts...
View attachment 122937
If i liked them, they were good posts. This other post, bad post.
I did go a bit over, and i apologise for that. I've just been extremely frustrated on this forum, in the switch and PS4 subs. So many people wanting everything while doing nothing.

Reactions: SimonMKWii

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If i liked them, they were good posts. This other post, bad post.
I did go a bit over, and i apologise for that. I've just been extremely frustrated on this forum, in the switch and PS4 subs. So many people wanting everything while doing nothing.
I'm sorry too, it's just very hectic times in the world of console hacking, everyone's getting a bit flustered, I understand!

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
How about you get your useless ass out of this section. People like you who know NOTHING about development don't belong in this forum, shitposting bullshit like this. This is not a forum to handfeed all you noobs. It's for hackers and developers to do their work, and share with other hackers and developers.
This is not a "show me what the fuck to do and let me bitch at you because im an idiot forum". So fucking tired of this shit. GTFO and go to facebook to do bullshit like this.

I do not understand how there are people who get angry about things outside their existence

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Another thing. I do not know if they have tried with the Audio driver that uses Shield TV. Daah ...

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try compiling and testing hopefully later tonight. Depends if i get some time to do so

I do not understand how there are people who get angry about things outside their existence

Another thing. I do not know if they have tried with the Audio driver that uses Shield TV. Daah ...
Is the shield tv the same soc? Do you have source files for that driver if so?

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you people should stop arguing. if you think it will brick your switch, go prove it to us if you have the balls to do it.

I know I don't, so I'm just gonna shut up :P
yell at me if you want. I probably deserve it

How about you get your useless ass out of this section.
...Can do! *goes back home*
I laughed at that quote. I'm not trying to stir up drama I promise.

I can't wait to see a working everything for Switch Linux.

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'll try compiling and testing hopefully later tonight. Depends if i get some time to do so

I'm not sure if the Nvidia Audio Hardware is the same as in Switch. But they share the same processor technology. The files can be found by downloading the OS kit to flash.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's kind of both actually, but not much actual development happens here because the devs don't want to deal with all the shit.
Now that you mention it, maybe it would be a good idea to have a separate forum for development, where developers can discuss without having noobs flood their thread with questions and complaints. XDA has separate subforums for development and discussion/help and that seems to work well for them.

The SoC seems to be identical (as confirmed by the markings on the chip) although it is underclocked to save power and generate less heat.
I don't know a whole lot about mobile hardware, but if I'm not entirely wrong the DSP on the SoC is what handles audio on modern mobile devices, so the driver should be identical. I believe there is a Tegra X1 dev board, which means there are probably Linux drivers available for the chip. No idea if those are open source though.

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*screams incoherently*

But no really, let's all try to get along. If you have a disagreement with someone, that's *okay*. Just don't be rude about it, talk it out like civilized people.
Yes I was quite rude. Apologies to all for going overboard.

You gotta admit though, s reply with the trachea/joycon thing. That was unexpected and made me LOL irl lmao... Was a good one.

Last edited by Tilde88,

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a small update. I tried to compile that commit with the audio changes in OP, but it wouldn't compile... Breaks at brcmfmac4356, and i cant find that in the menuconfig, may have to edit the makefile.
Probably a toolchain issue. I'll try it again at some point after the weekend, but it will probably be officially fixed by then.

Reactions: Fadi5555
D

Deleted User

OP
Just a small update. I tried to compile that commit with the audio changes in OP, but it wouldn't compile... Breaks at brcmfmac4356, and i cant find that in the menuconfig, may have to edit the makefile.
Probably a toolchain issue. I'll try it again at some point after the weekend, but it will probably be officially fixed by then.

The Device Drivers are already available but they need a certain routing its hard to explain , like you would need a bit more knowledge as compiling the drivers

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Device Drivers are already available but they need a certain routing its hard to explain , like you would need a bit more knowledge as compiling the drivers

Lol yea. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to linux, but indeed, this is beyond me. I got the kernel to compile and boot, but nothing. I can test sound but it still only shows dummy output.

I try to do an lshw, but the thing crashes before I can even SSH into it. I'll just leave this for the true switch devs. Strange that they went to upstream to 4.17, but I can understand.

D

Deleted User

OP
Lol yea. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to linux, but indeed, this is beyond me. I got the kernel to compile and boot, but nothing. I can test sound but it still only shows dummy output.

I try to do an lshw, but the thing crashes before I can even SSH into it. I'll just leave this for the true switch devs. Strange that they went to upstream to 4.17, but I can understand.

strange that lshw crashes @natinusala

but i guess if @shinyquagsire23 tells me on twitter that It's certainly a large project that I don't personally understand (yet?) at the very least.

we can count that this will take a little bit more time i guess

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
strange that lshw crashes @natinusala

but i guess if @shinyquagsire23 tells me on twitter that It's certainly a large project that I don't personally understand (yet?) at the very least.

we can count that this will take a little bit more time i guess
well the command doesnt crash, the system just crashes before I can do anything of use; like get into the terminal lol

They'll get it, im sure. Probably like a week or two. Or, you know, maybe shinyquagsire does some magic like the joycons :-p

D

Deleted User

OP
well the command doesnt crash, the system just crashes before I can do anything of use; like get into the terminal lol

They'll get it, im sure. Probably like a week or two. Or, you know, maybe shinyquagsire does some magic like the joycons :-p

well the magic is so big that i can atleast play crash bandicoot on linux with the joycons :D using pcsxr

Reactions: Tilde88

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He wants us to be his test dummies lol. Honestly though, I wouldnt worry about this bricking your system.
I wish people would stop spewing bullshit.

First, OP does not want anyone to be "test dummies"
Second, compiling a kernel, with proper toolchain, is not a very basic thing that most noobs in this forum could do.
Third, he shared information for those who may not have known was out there. I for one, had not realized there was an upstream 4.17 kernel being worked on.
Fourth, installing a kernel WILL NOT BREAK YOUR SPEAKERS.
Fifth, if you don't know what the hell something is, stay out of the way, let someone else do it. Clearly, this post was NOT for beginners.

I could go on, but this is just ridiculous. So many millenials in this forum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: