1. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It's not because just choice. As other poster explained, 1.0.0 has been widely opened for developers, so implementing CFW, EMUNAND and such would be easier. After getting the CFW at workable (especially for end user), you get to the phase of debug and revise it to get more stable version or add more feature. 3.01+ is more difficult and debug would take more time to get a stable release.

Last edited by tivu100, Feb 20, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  2. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

United States
    @SciresM EmuNAND or RedNAND? Or both?

3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    I think the bigger issue is that the bug affecting 3.0.1+ could still potentially exist in later Switch versions if they don't release it

loler55, tivu100 and DayVeeBoi like this.
  4. loler55

loler55 GBAtemp Maniac

Gambia, The
    modchip win..

5. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So I've noticed that a lot of developers tend to favor C over C++. For instance, the Vita, 3DS and Wii often had devs use C over C++. What's the reasoning? Personal preference? I figured C++ would be much better due to features such as overloading, automated memory management(and the choice to manually manage memory if you'd like), etc...

6. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

United States
    @SciresM Honest Question:

Whats the reason to develop a Custom Firmware for lower software versions than the current one? as example, why not force users to update to the current version and develop the Firmware for it, avoiding to write the core for several firmwares?
    This way its just update the core of the code for the ongoing versions?

I see the idea of supporting other firmware, but wouldn't that just make users stays on lower versions when they can update right now? again this is very honest question, not a demanding nor a troll.

repa4ok and mendezagus like this.
  7. yardie

yardie Banned
    Banned

United States
    some people want to separate sysnand from their emunand

8. SciresM

SciresM Developer
    Developer

United States
    If a user on 4.1.0 wants to create an emuNAND with a copy of 1.0.0 and boot into that, we should support that.

If a user on 1.0.0 wants to create an emuNAND with a copy of 4.1.0 and boot into that, we should support that.

If a user on 2.0.0 wants to boot into linux, we should try our best to support chainloading into that instead of Horizon.

The core of the CFW shouldn't be firmware-specific at all -- it should generally support everything that it can.

I think they're pretty damn interchangeable.

uyjulian, Alex1234, normal19 and 12 others like this.
  9. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

United States
    Got it, Thanks!

10. Bullseye

Bullseye GBAtemp Advanced Fan

I have a switch on 3.0.0, bought it new on that FW. I have a BotW cartridge version 002 and I might buy another game to try play on FW 3.0.0, but I wanna play my game cartridge and maybe others without upgrading. You think it would be a good idea to hold off updating?

11. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Homebrew. The homebrew launcher developing group is very against piracy. They deem staying a little behind the latest fw now is better to kickstart homebrew scene than just allowing people focusing on piracy. SciresM made no judgement on people using CFW for piracy but developers from one group to work with other group and find an agreement is better for the community in long term

12. NintendAddict

NintendAddict Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    Oh man! What bad news!
    I thought that people in 3.0.1-3.0.2 would not have to wait that long.
    Anyway, thanks for your great work.

13. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    C++ doesn't have any type of automatic memory management or garbage collection. You have to delete what you create, and though some generics from boost could be used to help with it, I don't think it's the popular way of going around.
    Other than that, perhaps many developers prefer pure procedural, you know, it may be the case.

Also many may argue that the typical style of programming of OOP may lead to the creation of many new objects that are later deleted, rinse and repeat, and that this adds overhead. Also they may argue that the whole concept of polymorphism adds overhead, because you know, deciding what is the right method to call in base of the actual class of an object is done in real time and requires some extra code to be executed.

Are those overheads relevant? I don't think so, but sure one may argue so.

Quantumcat and tivu100 like this.
  14. HiSpange

HiSpange Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    One question, do you have to own the game Tetris Jap to install a CFW on FW 1.0.0? @SciresM the info would be very helpful, thanks

Last edited by HiSpange, Feb 20, 2018
    loler55 likes this.
  15. loler55

loler55 GBAtemp Maniac

Gambia, The
    yes. welcome

HiSpange likes this.
  16. HiSpange

HiSpange Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thanks for the quick reply, I have to pay attention when buying? Card version? or is there only 000?

Last edited by HiSpange, Feb 20, 2018
  17. loler55

loler55 GBAtemp Maniac

Gambia, The
    no you can buy any copy

Last edited by loler55, Feb 20, 2018
    HiSpange likes this.
  18. mendezagus

mendezagus GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    So this long wait is where the modchip makes sense right? because if i understand correcly both TX modchip and this Atmosphere cfw do the same thing right? TX is trying to beat SciresM to the goal, at least in 4.1 (Besides the TX claim that the chip will work on all future firmwares)

19. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    If you're all and only aim for for piracy, that is. CFW is still very much rooting for homebrew scene. The slower approach of release is to nurturing the homebrew scene

20. SoslanVanWieren

Banned

Australia
    yeah idk if the the next one will patch it but the one after that will definitively patch it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

are there any deflections Nintendo can do to tell if the consoles modded because whats the point of genning if your just going to get banned.

TheMCNerd2017 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - development, Atmosphere, Firmware