ATI 4850 with a Pentium D 830

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Raki, Mar 3, 2009.

Mar 3, 2009

ATI 4850 with a Pentium D 830 by Raki at 8:05 PM (889 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Raki
    OP

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Well - atm I'm using the Pentium D 830 with a Geforce 6700 XL which is a little bit faster than a 6600GT...
    This graphicscard is a bottleneck I want to get rid of. So I figured out the 4850 is a good graphicscard for my budget, but I'm wondering if my Processor will limit it much?
    BTW: The 4850 equals what Nvidia card? It should be faster than a 9800GT?

2. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Yes, 4850 is faster on paper. I have one myself. Though in many games where Nvidia is preferred the 8800/9800 outperforms it by 1 or 2 fps. Shouldn't be a huge deal as you should be able to run everything on max except for Crysis.

That processor is kinda old though, it should give you a HUGE boost but I dunno how much it would bottleneck. What are your full specs, PSU included?

My opinion? Go for it, 4850 is cheap as dirt and you should be able to play all games on that setup.

3. Raki
    OP

Germany
    P945 Chipset
    Pentium D 830 3.0 GHz
    1 GB RAM (in Dual Channel (2*512 MB)) 533 MHz
    Geforce 6700XL 128 MB GDDR3
    400 W PSU - but it should run a MSI 4850 allright (someone with the same PC and the standard PSU could use it)

yeah I should upgrade the RAM to 2 GB and maybe 667 MHz (the PC should be able to use it at that rate)

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Your computer sounds almost like my old computer with the exception being that I had a Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz instead.

I upgraded it from a Geforce 6800GT to a Geforce 8600GT, added 2 GBs or RAM and a new HDD and after that it felt like I was using a totally different computer. Games were running much smoother, I could use more programs at once.

I beleive that in most games you won't be too limited by the power of your CPU, but in a few (such as GTA IV and the likes) it'll be the bottleneck.

5. Raki
    OP

Germany
    hm... but I should be able to run GTA IV at least on low graphics but full resolution? (1280*1024 or 2560*1024 if it supports my dual screen resolution)
    After all the PC isn't bad, but I want to play games like CoD 4/5, Crysis and other on higher graphics then low [​IMG]

6. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Personally, I'd say you build a whole new computer. That is, if you got 500 euros to spare. Because it really is an outdated system from the looks of it and who knows, maybe some parts aren't functioning at their top game anymore and one might bite the dust. Otherwise I'd recommend you save up.

But if you really want to go through with it. Update RAM to 2GB, and be sure the PSU has enough amps on the v12 rail and you should be able to run everything high to max at 60fps and Crysis on medium at 30.

7. Raki
    OP

Germany
    well - a new PC won't fit the bill + I play not that much so it wouldn't be worth it really...I don't even know if I'll get to play through any game in the near future so I'll carry this PC until it breaks or is really outdated [​IMG]
    high to max on 60 FPS sounds perfect...ok crysis is a special case...but this sounds ok
    the 12 V rail is used for the extra power supply of the graphicscard? If yes there should be enough amp avaible...the 6700XL was overclocked a lot so it was cooled by a bloody crappy fan which should draw power like hell

8. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the proc and RAM will be the new bottlenecks