Gaming AT&T Experimenting with Bandwith Cap!

Jran Sakarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SOURCE:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333966,00.asp

A month after Comcast imposed a bandwidth cap on its residential customers, AT&T announced this week that it is experimenting with a similar system that would limit usage to 150 Gbytes per month.

As of November 1, new AT&T customers in Reno, Nevada will be allowed to use between 20GB and 150GB of bandwidth per month depending on their speed tier.

The test is intended "to evaluate a usage-based model that could potentially help address today's trend of explosive bandwidth usage, [and] may be extended to one other market by the end of the year," according to an AT&T statement.

Existing high-speed Internet customers in Reno who use more than 150GB of data per month will automatically be enrolled in the bandwidth trial by year's end, AT&T said.

If trial participants exceed usage limits, they will be notified in writing and will receive a one-month grace period for their first infraction. If they do it again, however, customers will be charged $1 for every GB over their usage amount. AT&T will notify customers 60 days before overage charges appear on their bill.

How do you tell how much bandwidth you're using? AT&T said it will provide its customers with a "bandwidth measuring tool" to determine their usage. The company will also notify customers when they reach 80 percent of their usage amount.

Service will not be terminated for overuse, according to AT&T.

"A small group of customers are using the majority of bandwidth on our network," according to AT&T. "In fact, almost 50 percent of total bandwidth is used by just five percent of customers – customers, for example, who are uploading and downloading the equivalent of more than 40,000 YouTube videos or 40 million e-mails a month. This kind of heavy usage has an impact on all of our customers."

Comcast announced in August that all its residential customers will be subject to a 250GB per month data limit starting October 1. Comcast came under fire last year for cutting off service to customers who consumed a large amount of bandwidth but refusing to provide those customers with information on how much bandwidth they were able to use.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) also handed down an enforcement action against Comcast in August for what the commission considered to be unreasonable network management.

In April, file-sharing service Vuze also accused AT&T of throttling traffic on its network; a charge AT&T denied.

AT&T has notified the FCC of its bandwidth cap plans, according to filings.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like how Comcast says we can't go over 250 GBs a month, but gives us no way of monitoring our bandwidth. They say it's up to us to do that. I mean, my $100 a year internet at college has faster speeds, 300 GBs a month, and an hourly updated usage graph we can monitor.

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
ISPs have been doing that here for as long as I can remember. One of the worst -> Telstra Bigpond $129.95/month 60GB 30Mbps down/1Mbps up 12 or 24 month contract. One of the 'better' ones, TPG $79.99/month 200GB/month 60GB peak/140GB off peak. You guys still have it good.
dry.gif

QUOTE said:
"A small group of customers are using the majority of bandwidth on our network," according to AT&T. "In fact, almost 50 percent of total bandwidth is used by just five percent of customers – customers, for example, who are uploading and downloading the equivalent of more than 40,000 YouTube videos or 40 million e-mails a month. This kind of heavy usage has an impact on all of our customers."

Another way of saying...TORRENTS AND FILESHARING.

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Aussies have it bad but they're on an island, they'd have to use lots of bandwidth to communicate overseas to anywhere.

also i have comcast at home, roflmao... now it's capped it's time to switch i guess

hm, phone company in my town switched to AT&T... keeping comcast then since it has like 100gb more :/

urge to move back to Korea rising

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow, be happy you at least got great internet!
Belgian internet is like this all the time, and it will be for at least another 3 years! I can download only 12GB per month (!) and the max I can download at is 500kb/s.

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In Turkey there are capped and totally uncapped plans. I'm payying 50 TRL (32 $) for it.
The down side is it's only 1 mbit! With horrible ping. Best you can get is 4mbit for 64 $
So I can't ever download more than 40gb/mo with 90mb/s !!

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
it's the same in the UK i pay £25 a month and i cannot download in peak hours (4am-9pm), if i do i will get my internet connection reduced by 90% and they advertise their connection as "unlimited" too which annoys me.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll add to the moaning here and say while Virgin Media have great speeds during off-peak, during peak-time speeds are horrible. Plus, internet seems to get capped after about 30-50GB at an estimate.

It's even more stupid that they don't tell customers what limit they have. They just cap willy nilly if they think you're downloading too much
frown.gif

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Leave virgin then
smile.gif
. Go to BE or o2 or skymax. Be is totally unlimited for now , no cap , no throttling £18 a month , up to 24mb. Not gonna get that unless your right on top of the exchange , I only get 8mb
frown.gif
, but rather 8mb that is unlimited , than 20mb that gets throttled back soon as you attempt to use. I've pulled 300GB+ at times and they don't even blink.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I heard about it a few days ago. Poor Reno people. Well as of now I have no caps on 16/2 connection and I whore that BW out every month, so being capped would be a huge hit on me and I would find another internet company as well as get every I know to switch and most of them will listen to me :-)

• AT&T Basic (DSL only) Up-to 768 Kbps 20 GB per month
  • AT&T Express Up-to 1.5 Mbps 40 GB per month
  • AT&T Pro Up-to 3.0 Mbps 60 GB per month
  • AT&T Elite Up-to 6.0 Mbps 80 GB per month
  • AT&T Max (U-verse only) Up-to 10.0 Mbps 150 GB per month
Those are the Cap's per download speed. I would blow through that in a very short time.

Jran Sakarra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now they are starting charging when you go over a bandwith limit.
Dang we are just getting AT&T too.....
Wonder how my grandpa feels about cable.....
I download & upload at least 5 gigs a day already....
Plus what is really gonna hurt is online gaming.
No more Halo 3/ COD4 parties with 3-4 360 online....

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I escaped from my 30GB cap with Bell here by switching to the top rated ISP for support in North America (Canada ISP tho, TekSavvy) and now I have a 400GB per 2 months, which is really good for me, plus awesome support and a better speed for about 20$ less than with Bell. I usually do about 40-60GB per month now
biggrin.gif

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Leave virgin then . Go to BE or o2 or skymax. Be is totally unlimited for now , no cap , no throttling £18 a month , up to 24mb. Not gonna get that unless your right on top of the exchange , I only get 8mb , but rather 8mb that is unlimited , than 20mb that gets throttled back soon as you attempt to use. I've pulled 300GB+ at times and they don't even blink.
Sounds good, I'll get my Dad to switch at the next opportunity. And yeah, I was angry when I found out he signed for like a year deal with Virgin. First 2 weeks was hell, it was back to dial-up speeds for some unknown reason.
And of course, Virgin advertise as unlimited, so it took us a good few months to twig they were capping our speed because we downloaded too much.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ATT DSL, and hearing about Comcraptastic's cap a few months ago, I found and installed NetLimiter2 (which is free). Now, I use Netflix, and watch a bunch of stuff on Hulu/elsewhere in HD, it's scary how much bandwidth that I use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)