at@Games Genesis Compatibility List

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Black_Heart, May 10, 2018.

1. Black_Heart
    OP

Black_Heart Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2018
    United States
    I've noticed there's a lack of compatibility lists for the at@Games Genesis/Mega Drive (specifically the console. There's a big list for the handheld). I figured I'd start this thread for anyone that wants a compatibility list. I only have three Genesis games so far (another one will come in the mail in a few weeks), so anyone else that has an at@Games Genesis/Mega Drive, please feel free to contribute.

I highly recommend listing what year/model your system is, as the compatibility is different with each model.

If it's the home console, say (Date), home
    If it's the handheld, say (Date), handheld
    If it's the HD Flashback, say Flashback or HD

Compatibility List:
    *Note: Any model, but the HD Flashback, can't save. So any games with batteries will not save, requiring you to play in one sitting or never turn the console off. HD Flashback can save games.*
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    - Works (2013, home)
    Mortal Kombat - Works, but crashes when fading out of the Game Over screen. (2013, home)
    Tazmania - Works (2013, home)
    Puyo Puyo 2 - Works (2013, home)
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Not Working This is an issue with all at@Games consoles. The way the emulator reads cartridges makes it impossible to recognize Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It will either only read Sonic 3 or only Sonic & Knuckles. There's a slight chance it will read both together, but it's very slim and usually requires messing with the cartridge.
    Street Fighter II Turbo - Works, but doesn't recognize 6 button pad (2017, home)
    Genesis 6-Pak - Works (2017, home)
    Zombies ate my Neighbors - Works (2017, home)
    TMNT Hyperstone Heist - Works (2017, home)
    Mortal Kombat 2 - Works (2017, home)
    Mortal Kombat 3 - Works (2017, home)
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - Works (2017, home)
    genesis-1.

Last edited by Black_Heart, May 29, 2018
  2. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    It's ridiculous that this console can't play Sonic 3 - arguably the most iconic game on the system.

NutymcNuty likes this.
  3. Black_Heart
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2018
    United States
    But it can play Sonic 3. I listed it as working. You simply can't save your data, so you have to play it in one sitting.
    You, however, can not play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You'll have to play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately.

x65943 likes this.
  4. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Okay - but doesn't lack of save data sound broken?

Or was that the case with the original?

5. Black_Heart
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2018
    United States
    Any model, but the HD Flashback, can't save. With a game like Sonic 3, it isn't so bad since the game is about 2-3 hours long, depending on how good you are. Sonic 3 has a battery back up so you can save. The at@Games Firecore emulator simply has no way of accessing the battery. It's the same reason multicarts and flash carts won't work on the system.
    RPGs are where lack of saves sucks. I purposely avoid getting Genesis RPGs because of this. If I really wanna play something like Phantasy Star, I'm better off with the PS2 remakes anyways. Better graphics, UI, music, and actual in-game CGs. Of course, that's just Phantasy Star. If there's a Genesis RPG I can only play on Genesis, then I'll just emulate it.

x65943 likes this.
  6. vacuumnoise

vacuumnoise Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    I hope this list becomes more expansive.

All I know is I read Virtua Racing will not work but I have not personally tried it.

7. Casey-Strange

Casey-Strange Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United States
    Hi, I saw this on reddit via a google search.
    I'm not sure if this was released in Europe and I kind of was under a rock during it's initial release. I own a Genesis Model 1 but my AC adaptors are both bricked. Would love to play my Sega CD. After putting them away for a few weeks, I came across this at Gamestop while chatting with an employee about how badly the PS classic tanked and how the NES/SNES classic were doing so well. When I explained to him my Genesis situation, he pointed this out to me. I all ready have an NES Classic and not fully interested in the SNES Classic (yet) but I immediately saw it could run Genesis carts. It made me put my cheap 1 dollar EA games I was going to buy away and get this instead. I am aware of the sound issues at the time but I don't care. I can play some of my Sega games upscaled on HD, it's a deal breaker until I can get some AC adaptors and hook the original thing up to my old CRT.

Anyways here is the info on my model:
    Model #: FB3680
    Batch Code: D10708

On a very rare occurrence, I was able to get it to run Sonic 3. But at the time of this post, no dice.

Rich of ReviewTech said in his review and showed proof that his model crashed during background issues with Stage 6 of Castlevania: Bloodlines. I just beat the game on Expert mode earlier with John Morris. No issues.

He showed issues with sound occurring on Sonic the Hedgehog 1. my model sounds fine.

There is some issues with sound on my model and it's evident during the sound test in Shinobi III.
    But overall, it's not a bad investment. I am unware of the system specs as I hear they vary model to model. But mine does have an SD cart port, is powered via mini USB and of course displays HDMI.
    I have tested all of my carts on this console, which are not many to begin with, and so far most of them run fine. And yes, all 3 Streets of Rage games seem to work on here but I have not fully played through them to confirm further details.
    I even tested games I had that are all ready pre-loaded onto the console. With the exception of 1, each of them that I own seem to work. Including both retail and not for resale copies of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I do not own Sonic 1 at this time. Surprisingly, Family Feud loaded up the fastest of all my carts. The load times on this thing bug me when dealing with carts, I am not sure if it is dumping and pre-loading the rom or not. If I find out it is, it will leave a sour outlook on my semi-positive view of this console. It can run original 3 button Genesis controllers but it won't read 6 button ones as AtGames would rather you use their wireless pads which are not bad but are clearly cheaply made. The Z button sticks out and it's weird. Sega Master system controllers won't work which sucks because there are Master games pre-loaded as bonus games on my model including Snail Maze, which means a copy of the Master System BIOS is on this console!

Incompatible games are:
    Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Ironic because it is pre-loaded on the darn thing!)
    Hit The Ice (Taito)
    John Madden Football 93 (EA)
    Madden 94 (EA)

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Will run sometimes but most of the time it won't.)

This post makes me want to go thrifting for Sega Genesis games now.

Last edited by Casey-Strange, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:41 AM
  8. dcuk7

dcuk7 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    United Kingdom
    If you just want to play your actual cartridge games reliably you should get something like a Retro-bit Super Retro Trio Plus. Being the in US, you are lucky to be able to get the new Mega Retron HD by Hyperkin. That thing looks great compatibility-wise, can use original controllers and isn't it something like under $50 over there?

Also, I'm finding that my 2018 Flashback console has a lot of issues recognising cartridges (rather, it will try to load the cartridge but it isn't selectable after loading). The 2017 seems much more reliable in that regard!