arm9loaderhax questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Mistie, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    I have some answered questions to bring to the table regarding arm9loaderhax (or a9lh for short)
    This post *was* outdated, and may still contain obsolete information. Please try to use other sources.

Is it in any state to be used yet?
    Is anyone currently using it to boot into CFW?
    Is it recommend to go through the trouble to get it set up (risking brick)?
    How fast is booting into CFW?
    Is a hardmod needed?
    If I brick can I used my decrypt9 sysNAND.bin backup to restore with a hardmod
    What happens when the console is booted without the a9lh files on an SD card?
    Can a9lh alone brick my system?
    How easy is it to install a CFW with a9lh?
    Can someone provide me with a precompiled version of a9lh?
    Assuming I have all the required files is installing a9lh really as easy as running a .3dsx?
    Any quick tips you can throw at me?

Demo of a9lh booting into ReiNAND CFW (thanks ihaveamac)

Huge thanks to daxtsu for letting me ask a crap ton of question!
    I guess if you have more questions I can add them to the thread?​

Last edited by Mistie, Mar 19, 2016
    daxtsu likes this.

2. Svaethier

Svaethier GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
    If you're on a o3ds/2ds then don't bother just yet as there isn't a cfw that currently work with a9lh just yet. The downgrade process is OK but upgrading back to 9.2 is causing people's systems to brick sometimes I have read unless you have a hardmod so don't try it until the safer method comes out which can days or weeks from now.

3. Toiry921

Toiry921 Maki Best Girl

Dec 10, 2015
    United States
    ラブライブ
    If you don't know how to downgrade to dump OTP or compile don't do it, as of now there is not a good way that it is stable at all, Downgrading is never safe and the actual arm9 exploiting after you're back on 9.2 is still risky and can brick with a bad file, just overall ITS NOT SAFE FOR USERS. If you don't know what you are doing just use menuhax as it probably won't ever be considered anywhere near safe.
    Edit: I had a O3DS brick when I thought I was safe

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    1. It's usable on N3DS, but not really O3DS yet.
    2. Rei and a few others are using it for Reinand on N3DS, like you mentioned. I'm on the fence, but I'm thinking of moving over to it myself.
    3. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're very comfortable with hex editors and using terminals/command prompts. All of it is manual work right now. There's no easy 3dsx file which will downgrade you, get the OTP, and then bring you back up.
    4. There's a guide on getting the OTP in the tutorial section, but no there's no real guide on installing ARM9LoaderHax yet. It's still a WIP and has a few bugs, not to mention O3DS users have no CFW to actually boot from it yet, so it's pointless for them.
    5. For me it boots ReiNAND in approx. 8 seconds, only one or two seconds slower than sysNAND booted, even with a 64GB SD card.

It's evolving slowly. I imagine it will be somewhat safer in a while (maybe a few weeks or so), but there will always be some inherent risk when downgrading and such. I myself double and triple checked every step to ensure I wouldn't brick (and saw that Aurora Wright posted some useful safety checking tips, which I was able to match/verify against).

Edit: Answered the last two as a bonus, since I took the plunge.

Last edited by daxtsu, Feb 18, 2016
    Mistie and peteruk like this.
  5. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    Do you have a hard mod? And is https://github.com/Plailect/OTP/blob/master/New_3DS_Spider.md the guide you used to get the OTP? What cart did you use to update?

Last edited by Mistie, Feb 18, 2016
  6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    No hardmod. I used that one, yes, but the author of that guide is planning on overhauling it to be safer tonight, so you might want to wait if you're going to do it. I did not use a gamecard to update. I used 2xrsa hax via the browser to run Decrypt9 and restore my sysNAND to 9.2 ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/otp-guide.415140/page-19#post-6084203 ). Rename decrypt9.bin to arm9.bin and replace arm11.bin that you used to dump OTP with the one from that post.

Mistie likes this.
  7. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    I am really looking into doing this myself as I have a n3ds and use ReiNAND anyways. But I do not have a hardmod. If I dump my sysNAND from decrypt9 can I use that to restore in the event that I brick and get a hardmod to fix it?

8. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    You should be able to, yes. You could alternatively use the Gateway menu to do it, but Decrypt9's been pretty thoroughly tested.

Mistie likes this.
  9. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    Also how do I go about installing ReiNAND with arm9loaderhax? How do I uninstall arm9loader if possible? What happens if I boot my console without my SD card in with arm9loaderhax? Can arm9loaderhax alone brick my console if I screw up?

10. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Assuming you've an emuNAND already (and your rei folder contains the 3.2 final files, not 3.2b or anything older), it's literally as simple as dragging and dropping the precompiled build Rei posted in the Reinand thread.

You would need to use a payload to boot either:
    1. Decrypt9, once the devs get graphics working, and restore sysNAND that way
    2. Use a mod of Aurora Wright's mod of Reinand which boots sysNAND directly, and then launch Decrypt9 (see the AuReiNAND thread, Shadowtrance posted a .bin file there, but I'm not sure if it's working or not)

it will hang on a black screen, looking as if it bricked, but it won't be.

Yes, if you, for example, use somebody else's OTP dump, it can and will brick your console. However, as long as you're using your own OTP dump and are building ARM9LoaderHax from Windows (and not Linux, as there are reports of people making it on Linux are bricking* ), then you should be fine.

*: There have been fixes, but no reports confirming if it's fixed or not from what I know.

If you want to. Just make sure people know the risks. Even if it's getting safer day by day, there will always be some degree of risk involved. You might want to help contribute to the OTP guide in the tutorial section though, I would guess it'll eventually include ARM9LoaderHax installation as well.

Audioboxer and Mistie like this.
  11. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    *head bow* Thank you *head bow* Thank you

daxtsu likes this.
  12. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Ok, so I bricked my N3DSXL attempting to get the OTP. All I get is a black screen no matter what I try. It happened when I copied my 2.1 emuNAND to my sysNAND.

I'm pretty sure my only option to fix it is a hardmod, but what do you mean "supposedly"? I've been looking around and I can't seem to get a definite answer about the decrypt9 dumped sysNAND.bin.

Also I've only been able to find stuff on how dump the NAND with the hardmod, but not flash onto it. Any help, or hints, or anything at all would be great.

13. Conan179

Conan179 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    Germany
    giv it a cfw, to boot the sysnand with arm9loaderhax?

14. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Did you by any chance, forget to unbrick your 2.1 emunand? And have you tried to taking your sd card out and trying to boot? It doesnt like to boot with it in.

15. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    No, I didn't forget. I did the hardmod and bricked it a million more times. I finally managed to get the otp yesterday.

16. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    ah i didnt see that you posted that sunday xD

17. TheHaxForU

TheHaxForU GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    United States
    okay i'm kind of nervous im on the step where i have downgraded my emunand and all went well i have an o3ds and currently dumping emunand with OTPHelper
    from what i understand i do not need to unbrick emunand because its not a n3ds
    so now i just restore my emunand backup to sysnand and hold my breath?

just stumbled upon [validate emunand downgrade] so for kicks i ran that

xD both validation stage 1 and 2 failed
    TWL titles 4
    TMD succes 99
    TMD not found 0
    TMD hash mismatch 9
    APP fragment 0
    APP hash mismatch 0

im confused because looking at that id assume restoring that to my sysnand id brick but had i followed Plailect's guide i would have just restored it to sysnand :wacko:

Last edited by TheHaxForU, Mar 19, 2016
  18. naivegirl2411

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    Hmmm...

1. Im using aureinand fine on o3ds and installing cias is much more simpler compared to having emunand
    2. I also have a boot time of probably 5 seconds max as it boots extremely fast 100% of the time
    3. With an o3ds you dont even need a hex editor so its easier to install if you read + know what youre doing

Just my 2 cents

19. Mistie
    OP

Mistie Legit Furry Trash

Jan 20, 2016
    Canada
    Hyrule
    I just updated this post, didn't realize a few people were still looking at it. If you are really concerned you should be able to find better information elsewhere.

THIS POST WAS ORIGINALLY FROM WHEN ONLY ABOUT 4 PEOPLE IN TOTAL HAD a9lh INSTALLED.

daxtsu likes this.
  20. LiquidAudacity

LiquidAudacity GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    It would probably be a good idea to have some sort of official post like this around too so as to lower the amount of questions we get about it