Hacking ARM11 Error, SD Card Read-Only

c00000lin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone! Just bought a used New Nintendo 2DS XL online. Not knowing anything about homebrewing or Luma3DS I did a system update to access the Nintendo eShop and got the ARM11 error. Figured out how to access the Luma3DS screen as well, and it's currently v10.0.1 configuration. I went to upload the latest versions of Luma3DS to the SD card (Samsung 64GB) but it's currently locked as read-only. Kind of stuck at this point, so I'm hoping someone has some sort of advice on how to proceed. I'm assuming doing a complete wipe of the SD card is a no-no? Is this a hopeless cause?

For reference if that matters:
Using a Macbook Pro for all of the Luma3DS downloading, etc.

ARM11 (core 1)
undefined instruction
pm (0000000000000000)

Only selected item on the Luma3DS menu is "Show NAND or user string in System Settings"

Thanks!

Last edited by c00000lin,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone! Just bought a used New Nintendo 2DS XL online. Not knowing anything about homebrewing or Luma3DS I did a system update to access the Nintendo eShop and got the ARM11 error. Figured out how to access the Luma3DS screen as well, and it's currently v10.0.1 configuration. I went to upload the latest versions of Luma3DS to the SD card (Samsung 64GB) but it's currently locked as read-only. Kind of stuck at this point, so I'm hoping someone has some sort of advice on how to proceed. I'm assuming doing a complete wipe of the SD card is a no-no? Is this a hopeless cause?

For reference if that matters:
ARM11 (core 1)
undefined instruction
pm (0000000000000000)

Only selected item on the Luma3DS menu is "Show NAND or user string in System Settings"

Thanks!
you need luma 10.2.1 on your sd card for the boot.firm, but the sd card read only means you need a fully new sd card.

Reactions: c00000lin

c00000lin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you need luma 10.2.1 on your sd card for the boot.firm, but the sd card read only means you need a fully new sd card.
Alright! I saved everything on that SD card to another folder on my desktop including the 10.2.1 versions of the boot.firm and the boot.3dsx. If I transfer all of those files to the new SD card will that work? TY :)

c00000lin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the new SD card is properly formatted first, and test it with h2testw to make sure you don't have another bad card.
Thanks! Did some digging around and found some old forums with similar issues. Assuming that I get another 64GB SD Card, MS-DOS(FAT) is what I should reformat it to since I'm on a Mac? And for the bit clusters should I set it to 64KB for a 64GB SD card? Saw that mentioned in the same thread as well, but it was a few years old.

Will probably use Quick Disk Test or something as a h2testw alternative.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not familiar with the options for formatting an SD card on a Mac. If your 3DS can boot without an SD card and you can access Godmode9, then sometimes that is the most straightforward way to format a card – but it is by no means the only way.

Saw that mentioned in the same thread as well, but it was a few years old.
Nothing has really changed in the last few years as far as SD card formatting goes.

Will probably use Quick Disk Test or something as a h2testw alternative.
The Mac equivalent discussed in the Guide is F3X.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/f3x-(mac)

(Except I'm told that the F3X GUI is actually no longer supported, and so you might have to use F3 from the Console instead.)

Reactions: c00000lin

c00000lin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with the options for formatting an SD card on a Mac. If your 3DS can boot without an SD card and you can access Godmode9, then sometimes that is the most straightforward way to format a card – but it is by no means the only way.

Nothing has really changed in the last few years as far as SD card formatting goes.

The Mac equivalent discussed in the Guide is F3X.

(Except I'm told that the F3X GUI is actually no longer supported, and so you might have to use F3 from the Console instead.)
Thanks for all of your help!

I went to go save a copy of all of my files off of the original SD card a couple hours ago, and for whatever reason I had the ability to write on it. I was using my boyfriend's work laptop last night so I'm assuming it was just locking any sort of SD card that wasn't company-approved...? Backed everything up in the event that SD card ends up being a mess, but in the meantime I've been able to update the Luma3DS files, restore access, and even add a couple games :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +1