• Former Pirate

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
kisspng-emoticon-smiley-piracy-emoji-clip-art-pirate-5ace03606b4b72.5291625015234507204395.jpg
Arrrrrrrrrr.....

..but no,I am a decent person who buys everything legally.

b37d4468ccb40a56837aed319c7d4b7c.gif

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is a good and hard question (and seemingly got interpreted as a source for winkingly making jokes oozing with irony).

According to copyright laws I technically did copyright infringement before. Ironically it is old cartridges (NES, SNES, N64) I cannot backup myself since it needs special hardware I not (yet) have. Since downloading ROMs counts as "piracy" even if you legally own a legit copy one could argue I am a "pirate" (hate this word for multiple reasons).
When I can backup myself (GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS1, PS2, GC, Wii, Wii U) I avoid illegal downloads.

A few times I did what could be described as "try before buy". More often than not there are no demo versions.

However, I never have any bad feelings or conscience about my downloads. Some copyright laws don't make any sense. I pay for a license (or even multiple) for every commercial game I play. Should be good enough.

The usage of custom firmware and flashcarts for playing games illegally is something I dislike very much.

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
That is a good and hard question (and seemingly got interpreted as a source for winkingly making jokes oozing with irony).

According to copyright laws I technically did copyright infringement before. Ironically it is old cartridges (NES, SNES, N64) I cannot backup myself since it needs special hardware I not (yet) have. Since downloading ROMs counts as "piracy" even if you legally own a legit copy one could argue I am a "pirate" (hate this word for multiple reasons).
When I can backup myself (GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS1, PS2, GC, Wii, Wii U) I avoid illegal downloads.

A few times I did what could be described as "try before buy". More often than not there are no demo versions.

However, I never have any bad feelings or conscience about my downloads. Some copyright laws don't make any sense. I pay for a license (or even multiple) for every commercial game I play. Should be good enough.

The usage of custom firmware and flashcarts for playing games illegally is something I dislike very much.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

View attachment 244004 Arrrrrrrrrr.....

..but no,I am a decent person who buys everything legally.

View attachment 244005
of course not! what kind of person do you think I am!? :P
A pirate. Duh!!!

Last edited by Deleted member 546149,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Short answer : yes (also the TL;DR)

Long answer : sorta.
Most of the PC and Android games I keep playing I end up buying nowadays. It's also because after a while the hassle to pirate just isn't worth the price. Do I really want to dig through shady sites for torrents that seemingly are only shared by a Tibetan monk with a 56k modem, that can never be patched and that contain weird cracks (sometimes riddled with viruses or malware)?
Oh, and that only contain the windows version for obvious reasons (I'm running Linux) . The answer is no : I usually just fork out some cash so I've got it in my legal account so I can download and play it with little hassle.

But on (portable) consoles? I just pile up every single game I can find and take comfort in that I can play all those games if I want busy getting more games.
Fuck... I barely even PLAY any of it. So karma works itself out that way : all the games I want for free and none of the time for it. :P

It's worse on music, though. I paid the industry more on taxes on blank cd's than I ever did on buying music.

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That may come down to a technicality.

I don't like boats so I don't go out to sea to liberate others/their cargo by force.

However when they drag it back into port I am the one to strip it of valuable parts to resell and sort selling of the liberated cargo as well as sort ransom payments.

To that end not strictly a pirate but very much move in their circles.

Been looking to move into planes and spacecraft too.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I won't lie that I have "pirated" some video games in the past (because I was young and had no money, obviously), but these days I avoid doing it and I have bought physical copies of a lot of the games that I had "pirated" in the past. Unfortunately, today some game companies are so greedy and evil that for some things I'll only have the choice of piracy or not having the thing at all. Looking at you, DRM-protected digital games!

Cdiddy1122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only pirate games that are a pain to get a hold of (ie they haven't been rereleased on newer consoles), like GBA games and Gamecube ones. I'm not gonna pay 120 dollars to play melee, or buy a GBA to play GBA games, as I am in highschool saving up for a car. I don't pirate new games though.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but I've become more of an ethical pirate as time goes on. I'll pirate what I want, be it a game, movie, or CD... and buy a physical copy when I have some slush money to kick around. (Then I usually delete the pirated version and rip my own copy, for bit-rate quality reasons. (FLAC & MKV)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.