Are turbo buttons possible?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by mocalacace, Feb 19, 2011.

Feb 19, 2011

Are turbo buttons possible? by mocalacace at 5:17 AM (4,838 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. mocalacace
    OP

Member mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So I've overclocked my GBA SP and was wondering if there was a way to make turbo A and B buttons so I dont have to constantly press them when playing pokemon?

2. Speculant

Member Speculant GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How exactly do you overclock a GBA SP? And, for what purpose?

3. TheTwoR's

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    I know that N0$GBA (if that's how you spell it) can do that, but if you actually wanna use a GBA/SP, then just check these pages:
    http://www.google.ae/search?sourceid=chrom...a+turbo+buttons

EDIT: At the ^ guy above.
    Because GBA Pokemon games are extremely slow they can bore a person to death. Not just Pokemon, many other games too.

4. mocalacace
    OP

United States
    I've googled it a couple times and all the results turn up stuff for no$gba which is what I don't want. I actually want to add a turbo a and b button to my gba

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I'm pretty sure that around the time of the Afterburner kits (for non-SP GBA) came out there were a bunch of mods, like overclocking and turbo button switches, but nothing that added an extra button, since that would be near impossible because you'd need to modify the motherboard in some way to add the actual extra buttons.
    I suppose you could have some kind of non-contact button (all the buttons on GBA on have a 'membrane' that when pushed down bridges a connection and however long the button is held down is how long that connection stays open) them wired in some fashion to the existing buttons and have them 'pulse', but I think getting the whole thing compact enough to fit inside a GBA/GBASP would be difficult.

6. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    The only GBA turbo button mod I've ever seen made use of the DS' X and Y buttons in GBA mode.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I recall the thing thaddius is on about but if you really cared would it be that hard to wire an oscillating signal onto the GBA somewhere (without checking I am not sure but there should be test points you can latch on to and if not the pads/traces themselves are not too hard to play with)?
    Have a look at some of the "simple" 360 controller mods (those people charging $50 for such a hack are chancers) for rapid fire as it is an almost identical idea.

Personally though if it was just for one game/genre/series I would head down the hacking patch. Most control hacks are a fairly similar in nature (find where the button IO memory location is copied to, if it is copied, then make it alternate/oscillate under certain conditions- usually if shoulder buttons and the A button are pressed or something like that).
    It is for the DS touch screen but the idea is almost identical http://crackerscrap.com/ (documentation -> StarFox Command Control Hacking Tutorial ).

8. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Turbo buttons are for losers who can't rapidly press the A button.

JK, If you want to make turbo buttons you will first need to find space on the gameboy itself. And you will need to know programming and circuting. Circute the turbo buttons to the main board and then you will need programming to programm the gameboy to identify the buttons as "rapid a/b" and then make a patch for the game ( This can only work on flashcarts) to identify the buttons. Well its hard and instead of doing this you would rather build a DS flashcart.

9. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    As opposed to the losers who think there is some skill involved in rapidly pressing a button?

pasc likes this.
  10. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Not true in the slightest. I'm pretty sure you'd just wire up buttons in such a way that when they are held, they constantly start and then stop the signal sent by pressing the button. A very common mod on most consoles, which does NOT require modification of the game in any way.

EDIT: A google search tells me it may require a "NE555 chip" (which is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC), but not sure what exactly you'd do with it etc.

EDIT: I think this is what would be needed : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC#Astable_mode (one mode of operation on that chip, which sends repeated pulses)

11. mocalacace
    OP

United States
    Yeah I was thinking about add a switch so it makes the a and b turbo then flip the switch to turn it off. And I have some 555timers to work with so I'll do some more research

12. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    [​IMG]

13. TRVP STVR

Newcomer TRVP STVR Newbie

United States
    • Yes if you buy "my boy" gb & gba emulator for $5.00, you are allowed to make your own layouts of the gba buttons which they give you an option to put turbo buttons

14. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You join and bump a 3 year old, mostly answered, thread for a soft sales pitch for something that basically every PC emulator will have for free? Did this thread come up especially high in the search rankings or something?

15. Vipera

Member Vipera GBAtemp Maniac

Antarctica
    Looks like telemarketing to me.

16. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    I was thinking the same thing too. There seem to be a lot of necroed threads lately, in general, though.