• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,411
  • Replies 15
D

Deleted User

OP
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/449711

There are some good looking gaming laptops on sale right now. Last time I bought a laptop that looks good I made a thread complaining that it performs like shit.

The one I’ve got my eye on is the Dell G3 15. Will it be able to run The Witcher 3 and Sekiro: Shadows die twice on high settings at 1080p 60fps? Is there anything important I should know before buying one?

Edit:
Are you greek?

That’s a joke. I live in Australia.

Last edited by ,

ZeryOs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the same conundrum. I have been looking for a gaming laptop since January and either are too expensive or perform like s**t. Anyway, I think I might build my own PC or wait for an AMD chip with Ryzen for laptops (or laptops with Intel go cheaper) because in Mexico prices are sky-high.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I havent been involved with latest tech but from my experience gaming laptops are foolish. Buy a desktop and if you want to game on the go, buy a switch.
Only rich people with a lot of disposable income should be buying these things

ZeryOs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I havent been involved with latest tech but from my experience gaming laptops are foolish. Buy a desktop and if you want to game on the go, buy a switch.
That is actually a really good option. Unless you really use your laptop for productivity or have to move a lot, a Switch+PC would do the trick just fine.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My recommendation is to check out Youtube for a review from someone like Gamers Nexus or LTT. Thin gaming latop ~= under-performing laptop that regularly thermal throttles giving you really horrible performance. At least, that's what I've consistently seen whenever benchmarks are shown. If you've got the money to burn, though... Personally, I'd go for a cheap laptop and a more decked out desktop as the latter gives a lot more flexibility. If, however, I absolutely wanted a gaming laptop I'd look for thicker ones and again check Youtube for reviews. Most of all, I'd not rely upon one source.

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

There are some good looking gaming laptops on sale right now. Last time I bought a laptop that looks good I made a thread complaining that it performs like shit.

The one I’ve got my eye on is the Dell G3 15. Will it be able to run The Witcher 3 and Sekiro: Shadows die twice on high settings at 1080p 60fps? Is there anything important I should know before buying one?
I think all suck.. get a ryzen

Reactions: ZeryOs

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Seeing how these cost north of 1500 bucks, hes quite correct with his statement
Those prices are in Australian dollars which are worth like 2/3 of USD so they are actually pretty cheap.

Will they ship it to Greece though?

General rule is a 1050 Ti will handle current games at 1080p@60 well. But that's the rule for desktops, the equivalent GPU in a laptop will perform maybe ~10% worse (assuming it gets adequate cooling), not enough to make a big difference in FPS though.
In my experience, some games are too demanding for 1080p60 on my GTX 970 but are still fully playable with ~40 FPS stable on high/max settings. Notably Ark which is very demanding, but I think it might be CPU bottlenecked as I'm still rocking an i7 920. Atlas runs like shit but that game is poorly optimized.
And according to benchmarks, the 970 is much faster than a 1050 Ti.
So with that in mind I would suggest a GTX 1060 minimum if at all possible, which according to benchmarks is slightly faster than a 970, it will give you more leeway to run demanding games. But those games you suggested should probably be fine, surely those are not the only games you intend to play though.

All that being said I really would not recommend a gaming laptop unless you really need one because 2-3 years down the line it's going to be trash at running new games and you can't do anything to upgrade it, besides get an eGPU if the laptop supports Thunderbolt, and those are expensive and bulky. It's just money out the window. But if you are going to be traveling or going away for a while and you need a gaming laptop for that, or you need a powerful laptop for other things while you're travelling, then and only then should you buy one.
This gaming laptop was top of the line (HD 7970M) when I bought it, maybe 6 years ago now, still runs many new games fine but it only took 3 years before I started noticing it struggling with some newer games (not running it acceptably in my opinion with sub-30 FPS)
The HD7970M is actually slightly faster than a 680M which was the other option available for top-end gaming laptops at the time but for a much higher price.
The 1050 Ti and even the 1060 are far from top-end, they are not going to last long as they are only just about capable of 1080p@60 on high settings currently and nothing higher. And don't think you can just turn the settings down to medium/low and keep using it for gaming for 5 years or more, in my experience turning down the settings only gives a few extra FPS in many modern games, which doesn't help when the game runs at 15-20 FPS.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Those prices are in Australian dollars which are worth like 2/3 of USD so they are actually pretty cheap.

Will they ship it to Greece though?

General rule is a 1050 Ti will handle current games at 1080p@60 well. But that's the rule for desktops, the equivalent GPU in a laptop will perform maybe ~10% worse (assuming it gets adequate cooling), not enough to make a big difference in FPS though.
In my experience, some games are too demanding for 1080p60 on my GTX 970 but are still fully playable with ~40 FPS stable on high/max settings. Notably Ark which is very demanding, but I think it might be CPU bottlenecked as I'm still rocking an i7 920. Atlas runs like shit but that game is poorly optimized.
And according to benchmarks, the 970 is much faster than a 1050 Ti.
So with that in mind I would suggest a GTX 1060 minimum if at all possible, which according to benchmarks is slightly faster than a 970, it will give you more leeway to run demanding games. But those games you suggested should probably be fine, surely those are not the only games you intend to play though.

All that being said I really would not recommend a gaming laptop unless you really need one because 2-3 years down the line it's going to be trash at running new games and you can't do anything to upgrade it, besides get an eGPU if the laptop supports Thunderbolt, and those are expensive and bulky. It's just money out the window. But if you are going to be traveling or going away for a while and you need a gaming laptop for that, or you need a powerful laptop for other things while you're travelling, then and only then should you buy one.
This gaming laptop was top of the line (HD 7970M) when I bought it, maybe 6 years ago now, still runs many new games fine but it only took 3 years before I started noticing it struggling with some newer games. The HD7970M is actually slightly faster than a 680M which was the other option available for top-end gaming laptops at the time but for a much higher price.
The 1050 Ti and even the 1060 are far from top-end, they are not going to last long as they are only just about capable of 1080p@60 on high settings currently and nothing higher. And don't think you can just turn the settings down to medium/low and keep using it for gaming for 5 years or more, in my experience turning down the settings only gives a few extra FPS in many modern games, which doesn't help when the game runs at 15-20 FPS.
File, (friend in greek), they do ship in plaisio for 1500€ you read it correctly, Ryzen is more vfm, and ebay ships too, but honestly, 2060 is shitty in reliability, but it has drastic performance improvements.. i think it's a bottle neck.. an i3 with a 1060. 1060 needs 8400 at least, else it sucks.. I built a ryzen 3 2200g way better system, and it plays aaa

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

File, (friend in greek), they do ship in plaisio for 1500€ you read it correctly, Ryzen is more vfm, and ebay ships too, but honestly, 2060 is shitty in reliability, but it has drastic performance improvements.. i think it's a bottle neck.. an i3 with a 1060. 1060 needs 8400 at least, else it sucks.. I built a ryzen 3 2200g way better system, and it plays aaa
also in 1 year this won't even play at 10fps I know from pc systems.

Reactions: x65943

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am definitely never buying another gaming laptop. This one didn't last long despite it being top of the line at the time, and that money could have bought me an entire new desktop, or several GPU upgrades, and if I want to play on my laptop I can just use Steam In-Home Streaming. Very rarely do I need a PC to game on when I'm not at home. Feels like a waste of money and I kind of regret buying it. So I hope OP listens and gets a desktop or an upgrade instead.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yup.. fortnite is 80 gb alone, gta 80gb, another small game (roblox haha) and you are full. I got scammed in 2011 with 60gb ssd

because in engineering they have to think even 3 years after the release to find something that isn't a bakery, and by the time they come they are shit.. its something like the cure for cancer, it's cheap and nice, but they don't want to release it
Not quite sure what you mean by "bakery" but bakeries are a good thing no?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better hope there's space (and a SATA port) to install a hard disk or SSHD, because 256 GB is abysmal for gaming.

Sure you could upgrade the solid state drive itself, but that's probably not why you're trying to get these laptops at a bargain.

I was talking about the CPU, as it is rare to see a 6 core cpu on a laptop.

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Better hope there's space (and a SATA port) to install a hard disk or SSHD, because 256 GB is abysmal for gaming.

Sure you could upgrade the solid state drive itself, but that's probably not why you're trying to get these laptops at a bargain.
yup.. fortnite is 80 gb alone, gta 80gb, another small game (roblox haha) and you are full. I got scammed in 2011 with 60gb ssd

I am definitely never buying another gaming laptop. This one didn't last long despite it being top of the line at the time, and that money could have bought me an entire new desktop, or several GPU upgrades, and if I want to play on my laptop I can just use Steam In-Home Streaming. Very rarely do I need a PC to game on when I'm not at home. Feels like a waste of money and I kind of regret buying it. So I hope OP listens and gets a desktop or an upgrade instead.
because in engineering they have to think even 3 years after the release to find something that isn't a bakery, and by the time they come they are shit.. its something like the cure for cancer, it's cheap and nice, but they don't want to release it

Not quite sure what you mean by "bakery" but bakeries are a good thing no?
I mean furnance, you can fry hotdog lol

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Are you greek?

Last edited by Joe88, , Reason: Please post only in english

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)