Are these good gamming laptops?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by tagzard, Jul 20, 2011.

Jul 20, 2011
  1. tagzard
    OP

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    Okay i'm going to list some laptops and you guys tell me if their good gamming laptops for games like minecraft and sims 3 and half life 2 and team fortress 2 and games like that.

FIRST LAPTOP:Laptop #1

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Personally for gaming, many here highly recommend Alienware.

I don't use them though, my laptop is for school use (yeah nerd)...

3. tagzard
    OP

United States
    I know but i'm just going to show you the ones i find. So can you tell me if the top one is good?

4. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    List them in one post otherwise people will blame you for spamming and it will lead to less responses if all of them are scattered about.

I'd say thats pretty good but again you should list the others so we can compare.

5. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I don't really like HP. their hardware breaks down really often. In fact, my uncle's laptop (HP) had a motherboard failure after 2 months of purchase

6. tagzard
    OP

United States
    Thanks and i'm not spamming. Okay laptop 2:#2

7. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    Or you can still do the individual posts but put them all in the first post as well.

The second is better then the first.

8. tagzard
    OP

United States
  9. naruses

Member naruses GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Whats your budget?

If your budget is still ~1000

I say get this Laptop

It has i7 and for like a hundred bucks more you can go for a 1080p screen.(Much Better)

Or get this one.

Good Luck!!

10. ecko

Member ecko GBAtemp Regular

Afghanistan
    the gfx chip of the first is listed as a class 2, whereas the 2nd laptop as a class 3 on www.notebookcheck.net, and since it's mostly for gaming i believe the first one is better than the 2nd.

ontopic:1st is best, 2nd comes after and 3rd laptop listed is not even an option(intel gma)

11. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Gaming --> Desktop

Browsing the web on the go, spreadsheets, FarmVille --> Laptop

Unless you're willing to pay a fortune for your device, you're not going to find anything that comes even close to a "Gaming-Friendy" performance.

12. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    Minecraft, Sims 3 and HL:2 don't require godly specs, you know...

13. ihackedit

Member ihackedit GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I have the pavillion but without touchscreen. It will run it nicely, not godly or really good, nicely.

14. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Gaming laptops burn the hell out of your battery, making the whole purpose of a 'laptop' irrelevant. If you want to be serious about gaming, don't get a laptop. My personal one (see sig for specs) was purchased about half a year ago for ~$750. It can run games like Team Fortress 2 on high settings without any issues. However, the battery is barely holding out over 4 hours. If you're still looking into laptops, I'd keep away from HP, Dell (including Alienware sadly despite being dedicated gaming laptops, since they're made by Dell), and Acer, as they tend to break really quickly. I recommend ASUS.

15. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    First one is pretty good, but don't expect too much. Second one's not as good, -1 core and lower end GPU. Last one isn't for gaming, has a crappy IGP.
    If you want a gaming laptop, just get yourself an Alienware or Asus laptop. BTW Alienware laptops now have Nvidia Optimus tech in them which allow you to use them for 6 hours (provided you're not gaming). It beats having only 2 hours of battery life even when you're barely doing anything.

16. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You don't need a gaming computer to play the games you listed. They will run on a shitty integrated graphics card, but if you care about quality you should defiantly get a computer with a real graphics card.

17. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Sure, he wants to play those games this year, and what will he do next year? What if there will be a new game that he'd like to play which will become an annoying slideshow rather than an actual experience? When buying a device for a specific purpose you have to think ahead. Laptops are just not the best devices for gaming - the really good ones that'll stay fairly "up to date" for at least 3 years are usually pricy as hell.

18. Sop

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    1st ones probably the best, I would list better if I wasn't so lazy.. Uhh.. Are you sure you want to be "gamming" on a laptop? I mean, those would run all of those games just fine but they don't have the highest standards.
    BUY FROM NEWEGG

19. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Hmm...I seemed to have missed the part where he named the games he wanted to play... [​IMG]
    You absolutely DON'T need a gaming laptop if that's all you're going to do. Just go look for some dual-core PC from 2007 and it'll do the job.

20. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The first laptop is the best listed for gaming. For those who say laptops are not for gaming, would you rather have to carry a desktop computer when visiting friends for some coop gameplay?

With a budget of $600-700, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than a HD 5650M. With a budget of $1000, you can start looking at Optimus graphics and Sandy Bridge CPUs. No matter which way you go however, gaming laptops will burn. They produce a lot of heat, so you will have to find some way to compensate for that.