are the banwaves still around?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Duskie, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Duskie
    OP

Duskie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Sweden
    I didn't use a CFW 3DS when the alleged banwave was present (august-june?) but I was wondering if Ninty is still banning people who use CFW?
    Also if I'm signed in to my NNID on my 3ds and get banned does this mean I won't be able to play online on another console with the same NNID (like the switch) or is it just local to the 3ds?

Last edited by Duskie, Aug 8, 2017
  2. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    just that 3DS. its a Effectively a Console Ban.

3. coinblock

coinblock GBAtemp Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    It's pretty easy to avoid getting banned, just disable the 3DS' telemetry:

-Go to Internet Settings, Spotpass, and set "Automatic Software Downloads" and "Sending of System Information" to No
    -In your friends list settings, set "Show Friends what I'm Playing" to No

Last edited by coinblock, Aug 8, 2017
  4. Duskie
    OP

Duskie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Sweden
    a decent move on nintendo's part, I might actually forgive them on this one.
    Imagine if they gave a NNID ban just for using CFW. That would cause a boycott and would be a very bad thing for them if they accidentally banned false-positives.

Maybe that's why they only banned the consoles, and didn't go full king garon

Last edited by Duskie, Aug 8, 2017
  5. Treeko

Treeko GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2012
    I don't know if they are still actively banning anyone with shady activity, but I do know they banned the public seed a week ago, so just follow the steps outlined by other members to keep your shady business from falling into nintendo's hand.

6. Duskie
    OP

Duskie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Sweden
    wouldn't want nintendo to know that I'm using a theme on my 3ds. that's the shadiest thing ever

7. vinstage

vinstage ラメ?

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Welp, if you're using CFW/Homebrew it's counted shady, may this include the usage of installing CFW simply for a theme (highly dubious but meh).
    Just follow what the other users have outlined, and try not to be the kind of idiot who places their favourite title as FBI.

8. Duskie
    OP

Duskie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Sweden
    ohh I thought adding an unauthorized CIA file as my favorite title makes me look cool D:

sarcasm intensifies :D

vinstage likes this.
  9. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Considering a NNID is manly a disadvantage to have on a 3DS...

(advantages: can download free apps, due to a stupid artificial restriction - install from cdn
    pokebank - use pksm and screw the worst megabytes to price ratio cloud storage in the world
    badge arcade - gtyb
    miiverse - well there's no alternative on this one indeed lol

disadvantages: can't change country setting on your console to claim country-locked promotions)

10. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    This isn't confirmed as far as i know. It's certainly a good thing to do but isn't confirmed to be 100% safe.

Memoir likes this.
  11. Duskie
    OP

Duskie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    Sweden
    every safety precaution is necessary before someone comes up with the greatest way to hide your sweet CFW features from nintendo