Are snes super scopes legit?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by eggmanfat120, Oct 12, 2014.

1. eggmanfat120
    OP

eggmanfat120 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2014
    Canada
    What I mean by this is, Do they function right? I'm thinking of buying one at my local game store once I get my birthday money, but do they work? Do they at least work at a playable rate?
    What about the power pad?

2. thaddius

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    Unless you're an avid collector I wouldn't bother. The six AAs needed to power the scope make it a pain in the ass. The scope-only games aren't worth the effort.

3. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    You need an old curved tv, but it worked for me as a kid, I loved it

4. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    That's one of the few instances that I would advocate the use of emulation, a Wii remote as a zapper/super scope is absolutely fantastic.

5. eggmanfat120
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2014
    Canada
    I have two old crt tvs in my house, the others are hd, but it should work. And I don't mind the 6 AA batteries required.

6. superspudz2000

superspudz2000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 23, 2007
    Canada
    A light gun is a pointing device for computers and a control device for arcade and video games.
    Modern screen-based light guns work by building an optical sensor into the gun, which receives its input from the light emitted by on-screen target(s). The first device of this type, the light pen, was used on the MIT Whirlwind computer.
    The light gun and its ancestor, the light pen, are now rarely used as pointing devices due largely to the popularity of the mouse and changes in monitor display technology—conventional light guns only work with CRT monitors.[citation needed]

-wikipedia

Veho likes this.
  7. XiTaU

XiTaU GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2008
    United States
    i remember using one at a friends how many years ago i wouldnt recommend it unless ur hardcore collection snes stuff.
    playstation 1/2 has the best lightgun collection if u wanna lightgun.

8. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    I owned the Super Scope 6 when I was a wii little lad. It worked infinitely better than the NES Zapper, if that's what you're wondering. There was a setup screen that you could use to calibrate the aim, so accuracy was not an issue. And it would fire as quickly as you could push the fire button.

Regarding the battery issue, you could always invest in 12 rechargeable AA batteries and have 6 in the SS6, keep 6 more charged and ready to go and rotate them out as needed.

9. eggmanfat120
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2014
    Canada
    I decided to get the super scope anyway. :) I like it.

10. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Yell it is great if only for display (it is badass IMO)