Are new 3DS title release slowing down?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Kawaii, May 10, 2015.

1. Kawaii
    OP

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
    Do you think that new title release for 3DS are slowing down? Im quite new to the 3DS console and dont really know how the trend of new game release is with this console. It seems pretty slow to me. Is it always like this?

Considering that the 3DS is probably 4-5 years old since its first release. The DSi have +5000 titles but the 3DS only have +1000 titles. Wondering if 3DS would able to reach as much as DSi

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Quality>Quantity New 3ds is still well... New

3. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    At least two thirds of the DS library was also shovelware garbage, so if anything, it should be compared to the PS2 or Wii, because they're the only two consoles with as much, if not more, garbage budget games.

4. storm75x

storm75x Remember that thing I don't remember? Yeah, that!

Jan 3, 2015
    __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲͡ ̲__
    I would love to see more good New 3DS RPG like Xenoblade. Even if it takes time.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    No they are not slowing down. To do that they would need to have sped up in the first place and the 3ds library is far smaller, and for my money also far poorer, than what came before.

vbkun likes this.
  6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It might take some time for the games to be released, but I would rather wait for a good game, then have a rushed crap game.

7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Yes, it has slowed down. It has gone from tortoise pace to snail pace. People here seem too elitist and impatient to appreciate the subtle movements of nature.
    (Also, anything will be tortoise pace if you compare it to the glory days of the DS)

8. Arkansaw

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    most of the game developers left for other platforms...in a way nintendo has been abandoned by its competitors

9. InfoFront

InfoFront Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2015
    United States
    I believe the number of quality titles is comparable to the DS, especially with regards to first party titles.

I have noticed the lack of Square Enix support for the 3DS in comparison to the DS though. And there are some other holes in the library, such as having no Mortal Kombat game, sports games, WarioWare, etc.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Well, they did make Bravely Default which is the best new Squeenix game I have played since the PS2, and the only Squeenix game I have thoroughly enjoyed since Final Fantasy X. :)

11. InfoFront

InfoFront Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2015
    United States
    I actually haven't gotten around to playing Bravely Default yet, but I loved the remakes of the old FF games on the DS. And The World Ends With You was one of the coolest JRPGs I've ever played.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you liked the Final Fantasy remakes you will love this. It's like Final Fantasy used to be at its height. Even the plot is similar :P

13. Canadacdn

Canadacdn GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2007
    Canada
    Canada
    -snip-

Last edited by Canadacdn, Jun 16, 2015
  14. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    If they went for the FFI/II/IV look they used for the PSP games, I wouldn't mind. Heck, even a FFIV DS wouldn't be a big deal in my opinion. As long as we never mention the phone version of VI, I'll be fine.

15. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I've found the 3DS release schedule to really be lacking pretty much since launch. The Nintendo method of game releasing seems to be releasing all of their major releases as close together as possible, then forgetting that their systems are almost entirely supported by their first party titles, and then floundering to release kind of meh titles in the copious amounts of downtime between quality releases. Everything else about Nintendo aside, their pacing for releases is absolutely atrocious. It would work fine if they had active third party support, but they don't. Not even a little bit. They don't seem to be able to look ahead and see 2+ month gaps in notable releases to organize a major release for that time. Instead, they just hope that you're still playing Smash and Mario Kart and won't notice that they aren't releasing much of anything at all.

16. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Well, considering that the DS had a handful of great first party titles and a lot of awesome third party titles, I think taking third parties out of the equation is not the right way to compare.

17. elcravo

elcravo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Doesn't need to be any faster. I have still so much to play. :yaysp:

18. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Theres a good few im looking forward to but the releases do seem pretty spaced out. And some of those are just 3D ports of Sega games which others might not be excited for.

19. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    The DS got over 5000 games over an eight year span. Keep in mind though, that about 4500 of them were complete shit.

The 3DS hasn't nearly as much, though it is only four years old. Generally, it's done much better avoiding shovelware than the DS. Probably because piracy isn't driving game sales into the ground yet.

20. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I think the days of DS style hits after hits after hits is no longer possible. If you look at this, around 2007-2011, the amount of DS games beling released in the West by Nintendo wasn't high and that was before the 3DS was announced and released. Nintendo was relying on third party developers to pad out their releases.

Now with mobile/tablet games being more profitable, a lot of third party developers are moving to that platform which is why the 3DS (and the Wii U's) release schedule suddenly looks a little more bare.

Personally I think it's nice that they're going for quality over quantity.