Appreciation for depth

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by rufus83, Mar 30, 2011.

Mar 30, 2011

Appreciation for depth by rufus83 at 4:56 AM (934 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. rufus83
    OP

Newcomer rufus83 Member

United States
    This may seem like a strange topic, but I had to see if anyone may be experiencing the same thing.
    Has anyone else here noticed, after playing the 3DS for a while, that the excitement of 3D has had you paying more attention to depth in real life?
    It's strange. Depth is obviously something I see every day, but it happens so often that I've taken it for granted and now that I've become excited about it again it seems to stand out more? I've almost even started to imagine it on 2D surfaces... I've caught the text on my monitor almost seeming as if it's popping out of the monitor.... Maybe I should stop playing this 3DS so much... [​IMG]

2. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    may just be you. i think it's a psychological "choice" which you subconsciously activated.
    your eyes must be just very tired, and there are a lot of other different factors to consider.

3. RocketMBA

Newcomer RocketMBA Newbie

United Kingdom
    I've definitely experienced this! Perhaps it's the way we're forced to focus with both eyes constantly with the 3DS that's getting us into the habit of focusing with both eyes all the time?

But it might be down to getting new glasses on the same day as getting the 3DS...

4. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If you have to focus your eyes consciously on the 3ds screen that means you have the 3d turned up too high and you'll likely end up damaging your vision.

It's tempting to leave it high for the maximum 3d depth, but you'll end up doing harm to yourself in the long run. Much better to find a level that's comfortable.

5. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    rapidly switching focus on 2 screens ALONE stresses the eyes, how much more if you're rapidly switching focus on 2 screens, 1 being 3D???

(The World Ends With You gameplay forces you to alternately switch looking at 2 screens during battles)

6. mikehammerX9

Member mikehammerX9 GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Hahahaha, no way! Happens to me all the time after I quit playing my 3DS! It's so weird that I was a little scared when it happened for the first time LOL.

7. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States

Show me an article stating this as a fact and I might believe it otherwise this is just your own personal opinion. Optometrists and such have been stating the contrary as there has been no study done yet afaik.

8. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Agreed. On the contrary, the American Optometrists Association has said that the 3DS is actually beneficial:

“The 3DS could be a godsend for identifying kids under 6 who need vision therapy,” stated Michael Duenas, the associate director for health sciences and policy for the American Optometric Association in an interview with USA Today.