Apple TV......

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by lukands, Sep 5, 2012.

Sep 5, 2012

Apple TV...... by lukands at 12:20 AM (752 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. lukands
    OP

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    Thinking of buying a already jailbroken apple tv.......can anyone give any advice on what I need or what questions I should ask the seller. I am a newb when it comes to apple tv!

2. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    Make sure to get a Apple TV 2 or below since they are the only ones that can be jailbroken. Just look at the model number and if it says A1427 it is 3 and cannot be jailbroken so he is trying to rip you off or is a expert coder. Even if it isn't Jailbroken it isn't to hard they will most likely have XBMC installed.

3. lukands
    OP

Estonia
    Any real difference between ATV 1 and 2 (besides the obvious....USB, Composite Video, internal HDD). Pros and/or cons?

4. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The Apple TV 1G's software is based off of an old version of Mac OS X, and no longer receives updates. It also runs MUCH hotter.

The Apple TV 2G still receives updates, since it runs a modified version of iOS and it's a fairly recent device. You can AirPlay content from most iPad/iPhone/iPod touch devices to an Apple TV 2G. (For newer ones, you can also use AirPlay Mirroring to project your device's screen onto your TV.)

On a semi-related note, I find the aluminum remote (the one that came included with the 2G) more comfortable than the plastic, white one (the one that came with the 1G).

5. lukands
    OP

Estonia
    AirPlay......got to look Into that.

Can you get anywhere the same content on a jailbroken iPad as you can on apple tv, more specific to plugins/addons, xbmc, live tv, movies

6. lismati

Member lismati Speedrunner in practice

Poland
    No AppleTV serves a pretty different purpose. And even if an iPad could do what AppleTV can, you'd have pretty much no way to connect it to a TV. (That HDMI connector sucks big ass)
    AppleTV opens it's wings when you own some more Apple products, and when you live in America. So much features are blocked, here, in Poland, and American prices are so much better. Even with those cons, I'm really glad I bought an Apple TV 3.

And remember that ATV2 can't display 1080p content (720p is the cap here), but on the other hand, ATV3 can't be jailbroken (yet, but I've heard that pod2g has an entry point). Can't have everything ^^