1. slaphappygamer

OP slaphappygamer GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Hi everyone, I’m talking about this type of surface

BDB7A99E-7CCC-494F-B7ED-85D855CDFB0A.jpeg
    EDA7C2E2-47C5-46AF-8888-EEA91347CC13.jpeg

I’ve tried rubbing alcohol and warm water with dish soap. Multiple times. I just can not get this surface untacky. It’s not just the leather-like textured bit, but all the hazy plastic too. Any suggestions? I’m thinking about printing a vinyl skin to cover it up.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Something I've seen recommended is to make a thickish mixture of baking soda and water (supposed to be about as thick as like toothpaste), run it above the surface and let sit for a minute or so, then clean off.

But honestly it's probably best to just put something over it, I've tried the baking soda mix a few times for the same kind of material and, while it did help a little bit, it still had a bit of that tacky feel.

3. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I vaguely understood that the problem isn't the rubber getting dirty; it's the rubber chemically breaking down.

I have a nice Logitech Harmony with a similar problem and wish there was a good solution.

4. m3inard

m3inard GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    you can use baby oil.

5. slaphappygamer

OP slaphappygamer GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Found the fix! I disassembled the keyboard. It was pretty easy. I used 99.9% isopropyl alcohol to strip the coating. There was a coating that was tacky. Now i just need to put it back together.

6. Redhorse

Redhorse Warehouse 13 Curator

United States
    I would/have use (cooking - vegetable) oil, it is also good at removing sticker residue, put a small-tiny amount on a paper towel, and rub firmly, repeat as needed. They dry with an alternate paper towel. I found this while researching a recipe for goo gone (never found it BTW)

slaphappygamer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - surface, Anyway, rubber