Anything I need to know before I start using HDD?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by jchillin111, Aug 27, 2018.

1. jchillin111
    OP

jchillin111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    I am planning on using an external hard drive for some games.
    I was planning on storing some Gamecube ISO's in there for my Nintendont only vWii.
    I was also planning on storing some Wii U/Virtual Console games on the external hard drive.
    Finally, I was planning to maybe store some Wii games on there as well with USB Loader (which I don't have prepared yet).

Do I need to install any type of software or format it a certain way? Is there a certain type of HDD I should buy? Do all HDD's work?

Thanks again.

2. Franciscop98

Franciscop98 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    Venezuela
    Before anything, your HDD needs to have either a Y cable or an external power supply. The Wii U can't power a HDD with only one USB port.

Now, some things about your plans: The optimal (and mostly used) way of playing Wii U games is by installing them on either the Wii U system memory or a HDD, but for it to work with the HDD it needs to be formatted to the Wii U format. This means you can't have wii games or Gamecube games in the traditional way.

However, you can inject them as Wii VC titles and install them that way, wich covers your need except for the USB loader (wich you won't need anyway). It also comes with the benefit of being able to play with the Wii U Gamepad as a Wii Classic Controller. Ican't link but there are a couple of guides about Wii VC injecting wich includes Nintendont games.

Hope it help!

3. jchillin111
    OP

jchillin111 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2018
    United States
    How do I format it to the Wii U format?

And I also you're saying I cant store GCN games and Wii games on my HDD for Nintendont and USB Loader GX which would be ran on the vWii?

Last edited by jchillin111, Aug 27, 2018