ROM Hack Anyone know how to fix weird CSEQ2midi errors?

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently trying to rip ACNL's sequenced files to midi. However, when I do
Code:
cseq2midi.exe *.cseq
it stops at a specific file and refuses to go on unless I kill the program and remove the file. When I look at the log, I find a ton of 'WARNING: Unknown Command" errors right before stopping, and indeed, littered throughout the log file.

Additionally, the files that it tends to stop at are larger and have multiple tracks, which I assume means they're KK files (which I'm trying to specifically mess with)

I'm worried about the integrity of this rip, but there are no help pages/documentation. Is there anyone that can help?

Last edited by ultramario1998,

KoopaStarRpad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Oh, look, someone else is also interested in playing ACNL MIDIs–
So well, I've converted every cseq to a mid some months ago, but don't have any type of "sound font" to make them sound even remotely normal…
Maybe, if you have one, couldn't we just trade your soundfont with my mids (By PM or something) and call it a day? Or do you want to get them yourself?
If so, I'd have to take a look at what I used at my computer, I think there was some newer, fancy tool that made cseq2midi obsolete for me, or I used it differently.

I remember I had to drag the cseq files into cseq2midi in smaller brackets of ~100, not all at once, and even then it skipped over some cseqs and I had to drag them there seperately to have the program respond to those cseqs, it was such a chore. Maybe your problem is that you drag too much cseqs in the program at once?
Or do you use cseq2midi in an entirely different way?

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember I had to drag the cseq files into cseq2midi in smaller brackets of ~100, not all at once, and even then it skipped over some cseqs and I had to drag them there seperately to have the program respond to those cseqs, it was such a chore. Maybe your problem is that you drag too much cseqs in the program at once?
I literally told it to 'parse every file with a .cseq extension' via command line, and had some weird crashing going on at times--dragging the affected files on individually doesn't seem to help. Maybe I'm using an outdated version?
Maybe, if you have one, couldn't we just trade your soundfont with my mids (By PM or something) and call it a day? Or do you want to get them yourself?
I wish I had one. From the very little I've seen, however, I THINK the soundfont is stored as bcwav files within the same GardenSound.bcsar file. (example) It'd be totally possible to make, say, a vst plugin using those files and something like this.

KoopaStarRpad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Regarding the Soundfont:
Yeah, I have tried to create a soundfont, but I couldn't figure it out and it didn't bother me enough to continue researching.
I have all bcwavs converted into wavs, but what should I do with them?
I really don't have any idea how to create a working sf2.

Regarding MIDIs:
Weird. I just drag the cseq files onto the program, like, the simplest drag and drop conversion ever:
File -> cseq2midi.exe in the directory -> .mid file located in the same folder where the .cseq was

Don't know if I can link cseq2midi here, and how, don't like MEGA too much since the justified download limit-thingy.

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. After about two hours of manually combing through the sound files, I believe I've found and copied all KK-relevant soundfont files. (why does Windows Explorer HATE hex? Why??)

Now to see how Viena works

KoopaStarRpad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Okay. After about two hours of manually combing through the sound files, I believe I've found and copied all KK-relevant soundfont files. (why does Windows Explorer HATE hex? Why??)

Now to see how Viena works

Neat! But how did you find the respective files? They don't have "human" file names, at least mine do not.
Example: 0x1A9AC0
But: When I open GardenSound.bcsar in iHEX (OS X Editor), I see filenames. They also seem to be in the same order–
though I don't think you can rename every .bcwav with the names in the .bcsar.

I wish I could distinguish the files…

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
iirc cseq2mid created by soneek is not support all command, so not all cseq file converted correctly to midi. you can use this for rebuilding bank files into soundbank but still need manual work on it. you need modified generated script and used SF2Comp to compile that script into sf2 sound bank.

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat! But how did you find the respective files? They don't have "human" file names, at least mine do not.
Example: 0x1A9AC0
But: When I open GardenSound.bcsar in iHEX (OS X Editor), I see filenames. They also seem to be in the same order–
though I don't think you can rename every .bcwav with the names in the .bcsar.

I wish I could distinguish the files…
I went through all the files manually and listened to each one. Not too fun.
iirc cseq2mid created by soneek is not support all command, so not all cseq file converted correctly to midi. you can use this for rebuilding bank files into soundbank but still need manual work on it. you need modified generated script and used SF2Comp to compile that script into sf2 sound bank.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Looking at the midi files, they appear to be pretty much boned by the conversion. (they appear to be playing four times faster than they should, and I suspect that several midi events are gone)

I'll keep trying stuff, but I fear this is over my head.

EDIT: ohohoho I think I found something. the csar file within the GardenSound archive (which I opened with this) contains a bunch of cseq's and cbnk's (soundfonts). Still no closer to getting anything to work, but I think this is worth looking into.

EDIT EDIT: yup, this should solve a lot of problems. thanks, @andibad and soneek

Last edited by ultramario1998,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU