Anyone familiar with Hamachi?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Gaisuto, Aug 25, 2008.

Aug 25, 2008

Anyone familiar with Hamachi? by Gaisuto at 1:56 AM (1,411 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    It's a program used to simulate a LAN connection over the internet. To me it's main use is playing online PC games that were downloaded with friends. We've been doing this with Soulstorm. After a bitch of a set up for us, now I'm trying to set it up for another friend and we've come across a problem that unlike the ones we've had, we can't find any info on it anywhere else. Whenever he activates Hamachi, his internet just outright dies. It will only work if the Hamachi driver is disabled. Now knowing that it requires internet to even work, it's apparent something is wrong but we can't figure out what.

I was hoping that maybe somebody here was familiar with the program and possibly knows the fix? He's on XP if it matters.

2. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    I tried using hamachi but it gave me blue screens...

You could get cFosSpeed and set hamachi to minimal traffic shaping

3. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Honestly Hamachi is a really good and easy to use program
    I don't see how it could cause so many problems
    Have him try reinstalling hamachi or updating it

4. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    He has done both. Hamachi actually updated itself at first. If it helps, it happens when he sets it at the top of the priorities list for network connections, which in the Hamachi set up it tells you to do anyway.

5. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Not completely sure, maybe his network connects to the online connection instead of what is actually an internet connection if that's even possible
    I've never edited setting to use Hamachi, such as editing network priority

6. Sevael

Member Sevael GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I have a fair amount of experience with Hamachi, but I have never seen this before. I'm thinking it has to do with the network adaptor priority.

Usually, Hamachi needs to be the first priority in your network settings to enable you to see others connected to your Hamachi server. But when your other networks are subsequent priority, the internet from one of them should still pass through just fine. Perhaps there are multiple network adaptors and the internet-serving one becomes too low on the priority list when Hamachi is active.

Have your friend try this:[*]Go to Control Panel and open Network Connections.[*]Click on the Advanced menu and click Advanced Options.[*]In the Connections box, ensure that Hamachi is at the top (use the up and down arrows to move it) and the network adaptor that serves the internet connection is second.[*]Click OK and test it out.If that didn't fix it, follow the above steps again, but make Hamachi second and the internet-serving adaptor first. If it still doesn't work, try this:[*]Go to Control Panel and open Network Connections.[*]Right-click Hamachi and click Properties.[*]Click on TCP/IPv4 and click Properties.[*]Click on the Advanced button.[*]Uncheck Automatic Metric and type 10000 in the box.[*]Click OK on each of these windows, then test it out.If still not working, follow these steps again, but instead of the 10000 Metric, try 10.

If none of the above helps, then I honestly don't know. I would try the usual gamut of ensuring that Hamachi and all the drivers are updated to their most recent versions, all Windows Updates and Service Packs have been installed, check firewall settings, etc.

7. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Well setting Hamachi to the top of that list is what cuts his internet off in the first place. I wasen't aware you could get it to work with Hamachi set to second place period. I'll have him try it the next time I hear from him.

8. Sevael

Canada
    Hamachi may not necessarily work in second place, but it's worth finding out. I have a feeling it has more to do with the metrics than anything else. If putting Hamachi in second place causes Hamachi connections to disappear, put it back to first place and the internet-serving adaptor in second place before testing out the metrics.

9. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    The metrics? He did fiddle around with that in the first place. Maybe if he fixed it. I had him set them to what they needed to be on my Vista, maybe they don't need to be the same on XP? Could I get a quick refresher on what they should be? [​IMG]

10. Sevael

Canada
    Basically, the priority of Hamachi should be higher than all other network adaptors, but the Hamachi adaptor's metrics should be higher than the adaptor with the internet connection. (Higher metrics means lower priority.) It's tough to explain technically, so just go with it. [​IMG]

Exact numbers vary wildly when Automatic Metrics is checked, but you can take a look at your current numbers by typing "route print" at the command prompt. Focus on the middle section; you want to look at the lines where the Network Destination and Netmask are 0.0.0.0. For the rest of this post, we are going to completely ignore everything below that. ONLY focus on the ones with the Netmask of 0.0.0.0.

The one with the Gateway listed as 5.0.0.1 is the Hamachi adaptor. It should have a metric higher than the other(s). If it doesn't, that's your problem. Follow the instructions in my original post to change the Hamachi adaptor's IPv4 Metrics to a number higher than the other adaptor(s).

I'm not sure exactly how it determines the metrics numbers. I manually entered 10 for my Hamachi adaptor's metrics, but on the "route print" results, its has metrics listed as 266, while the other two adaptors (my wired and wireless LAN adaptors) are 20 and 25. Just play around with the metrics in the Hamachi adaptor until its "route print" results in it having higher metrics than the other adaptors in the 0.0.0.0 Netmask.

Clear as mud? [​IMG]

11. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Well we fixed it by reinstalling Hamachi and the drivers entirely, completely resetting everything he did. Currently in the middle of trying to get me to be able to ping him again. He's going through the most basic steps again at the moment. I really hope we can get this working...

I don't understand this at all. My friend Matt can ping him just fine, but I can't...
    *Alright great success! He can ping me, I can ping him, we can all ping each other. Now to try and get the game working.
    **And ahha! It works! Too bad his computer just sucks too much to even run the game with us. [​IMG] Thanks for the help. [​IMG]