Hacking Anyone else having major problems?

ignite339

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, after having an R4DS for about a year and LOVING it, I lost it
frown.gif
So I needed to get a new card, and saw the M3DS Real. I heard a lot of good things about it, so I picked it up. Unless I'm doing something wrong, there are a LOT more problems than I had on my R4. The menus are really slow, DLDI doesn't work all the time (at the root of the card), a few games that worked with my R4 (The World Ends with You, Advance Wars) have had graphical glitches or, in the case of TWEWY, doesn't even work at all. Does anyone have this any problems with the card? I may try to Cyclos or the Acekard, but I don't know if there was something wrong with my M3DS?

Also, first post, hey everyone, etc.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most likely you have bad rom dumps or a bad MicroSD card
all those game work fine for me

the menu ...
well moves decent, not really slow though

RevLTD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My M3 works fine on TWEWY and AW. Menus are really slow unless using the default theme. I don't run homebrew, can't comment on the DLDI. Maybe try formatting your card again? Or try another SD card. All I can say.

ignite339

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RevLTD said:
My M3 works fine on TWEWY and AW. Menus are really slow unless using the default theme. I don't run homebrew, can't comment on the DLDI. Maybe try formatting your card again? Or try another SD card. All I can say.
Did you use a certain Allocation size when formatting? I tried the default, and changed to the highest (64k) because I know that fixes Portrait of Ruin. I'll try different sizes though, and pick up a 2GB card tomorrow.

ignite339

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kingston Sandisk 4GB. This is the first time I've used an SDHC card, and I was iffy about it, but it seems to be okay writing and reading. Of course, with the R4 I used a 2GB card, and I never had any speed problems, even with Portrait of Ruin. Right now I'm going to try to format it to FAT (as opposed to FAT32) and see what happens.

EDIT: Sorry, it's a sandisk memory card. I just ordered a Kingston Japan memory card, since I've heard those are a lot better (and it was only 20 bucks).

EDIT 2: Ew, the Sandisk is a Class 2, maybe that is causing problems =P

ignite339

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post, but Joe88, or anyone else who has no problems with TWEWY, could you try Advance Wars, and see if you get the same graphical glitches I'm getting. Basically, when you choose a mission (this happened suring the first 5 missions), the screen flashes black a bunch of times right before someone starts talking. It flashes black sparingly during the game, too.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've been playing TWEWY. Freezes on the cinematic, but the open/close solution worked around it (opening/closing the DS until the cinematic is over). Joe suggested in a different topic to run TWEWY from "My Card" instead of the NDS games menu. Haven't tried it, but I've heard that solution works for many problems that involve game patching. I'm going to test it on Zelda: Phantom Hourglass later.

I've never had a problem with any of the Advance Wars that I've played. They all work fine, even with soft-reset enabled.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hi! ignite339, I'm sorry to hear you have such problems..

I've used SanDisk microSD 4 GB class 2, with any of those problems except lag in GUI..
Advance Wars works just fine, never had any problems with graphics or anything..
And DLDI patching works flawlessly..you either have a faulty M3 Real or your micoSD is corrupted (maybe the ROMs you have are corrupted, try to re-download Advance Wars!!)..

I don't know what else could it be..

ignite339

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I've been playing TWEWY. Freezes on the cinematic, but the open/close solution worked around it (opening/closing the DS until the cinematic is over). Joe suggested in a different topic to run TWEWY from "My Card" instead of the NDS games menu. Haven't tried it, but I've heard that solution works for many problems that involve game patching. I'm going to test it on Zelda: Phantom Hourglass later.

I've never had a problem with any of the Advance Wars that I've played. They all work fine, even with soft-reset enabled.
Yeah, I tried it through MyCard but it still froze at the same place. As for Advance Wars, yeah, I think the ROM might be faulty, so I'll try to re-download, or just dump it from my own cart. I have a Kingston on the way, I'll see if that patches anything up (I just wish I could find my stupid R4DS to test it).

EDIT: New ROM did nothing
frown.gif

ignite339

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update for anyone that cares:

I got my Kingston Class 4 SDHC in the mail, and it's confirmed: The World Ends With You problem is caused by low-speed media. Worked fine on the Kingston, froze on the Sandisk. So If you're TWEWY is freezing, and none of the methods of getting past the freeze are working, buy a Kingston. They're only like 25 bucks anyways.

Also: The GUI is a LOT slower for some reason on the new card, maybe I formatted it wrong >_

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ignite339 said:
Just an update for anyone that cares:

I got my Kingston Class 4 SDHC in the mail, and it's confirmed: The World Ends With You problem is caused by low-speed media. Worked fine on the Kingston, froze on the Sandisk. So If you're TWEWY is freezing, and none of the methods of getting past the freeze are working, buy a Kingston. They're only like 25 bucks anyways.

Also: The GUI is a LOT slower for some reason on the new card, maybe I formatted it wrong >_

ignite339

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I'm on day 4, and have had no problems. Meteos still skips a lot though, and Advance Wars still has graphical glitches, but I might try to re-download both and delete the .savs.

nekkutta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a m3real for a while now, when I ordered it there was a special for a sandisk class 4 6GB microSDHC with it for like $40 more. it always seemed kinda slow and buggish... I figured it was the firmware, so I never really thought much about it, I figured that eventually they would get the firmware straightened out and it would be better. after abstaining from the scene (and playing) for a little bit I came back, updated my firmware and it was still slow, and I don't know Why I didn't think of it previously since my m3 lite perfect needed to be formatted with a certain allocation size to even load the games with (A) instead of (start) so I formatted my card as FAT with a 64K allocation. originally I did get the TWEWY intro scene freeze, so I decided to test with it. after the format, it didn't freeze, unless I set the soft-reset key combo on... oh well....

so yeah, M3 seems to be touchy with the actual formatting of the card for it...

nekkutta

ignite339

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, 64K allocation is pretty much required for the M3 Real. I forgot I had done that on my old card, and couldn't figure out why the GUI was so slow.

MH_X7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, that didn't fix the glitch at all. My game still crashes on the opening scene after the first frog fight just as Neku runs past Beat. It always freezes at that same exact spot, I'm pretty sure that it's the card that's causing the problem. The card is the Sandisk 4GB Class 2 SDHC just as everyone who is experiencing this problem.

One more question:
What's the difference of having FAT vs. FAT32?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
FAT has 16bit clusters, FAT32 has 32bit clusters. Basically, FAT32 can run longer processing chains = faster but more strain on CPU = hotter. Since everywhere has been using FAT32 for so long, it's become standard to format into FAT32 for nearly everything (at least, everything somewhat new. Older things like MP3 players need FAT.

I haven't tried the 64k thing - I just keep it on the default 32. TWEWY freezes, as everybody has said, and I forsee no fix for it in the future. If you want to play it, the quickfix of opening/shutting the DS during the cutscene, right until the end of the cutscene, got past the freezing and allows the rest of the game to play fine (from what I've played at least, I'm on day 4 or 5).

MH_X7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
FAT has 16bit clusters, FAT32 has 32bit clusters. Basically, FAT32 can run longer processing chains = faster but more strain on CPU = hotter. Since everywhere has been using FAT32 for so long, it's become standard to format into FAT32 for nearly everything (at least, everything somewhat new. Older things like MP3 players need FAT.

I haven't tried the 64k thing - I just keep it on the default 32. TWEWY freezes, as everybody has said, and I forsee no fix for it in the future. If you want to play it, the quickfix of opening/shutting the DS during the cutscene, right until the end of the cutscene, got past the freezing and allows the rest of the game to play fine (from what I've played at least, I'm on day 4 or 5).

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I'll try that closing/opening of the DS method next since that's the only thing I can do other than altering the .sav data or buying a better SDHC card. I'm not sure how that method would work though, do you just close the DS as the scene where the game crashes is about to occur or do you close/open the DS multiple times really fast?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No matter the limit he always gives the tip