Hacking Anyone else getting notifications about a System update?

Slegiar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i know we got that update a while back that was related to GDPR and just some minor menu tweaks and stuff, but didn't change anything. Unfortunately I can't remember if I bothered with undoing CBHC, switching the dns blocking, and letting the update install. It had been a while since i played much on the system, and I noticed it was trying to download an update, but of course couldn't because of the network settings. Have there been any other updates since the last one, or is this just my lazyness to blame?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The wiiu sporadically checks online to see if a new update is available. When you are blocking updates with dns this check can't take place and that is why your system looks like its trying to update. It's not it's just trying to check for updates.

Slegiar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wiiu sporadically checks online to see if a new update is available. When you are blocking updates with dns this check can't take place and that is why your system looks like its trying to update. It's not it's just trying to check for updates.

Ahhhh, alrighty, so it's safe to just continue to ignore it than. Thank you! ^vvvv^

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Unfortunately I can't remember if I bothered with undoing CBHC, switching the dns blocking, and letting the update install.
No need to do that - in fact reinstalling the Wii U Menu, as the 5.5.3 update will do, will automatically "uninstall" (= disable) CBHC

Remember, CBHC is a two-part effort - effectively replacing a DS game with an homebrew, and forcibly setting said DS game as the default app;
and when something that officially declares itself to qualify as a valid default app (which for retail consoles is only Wii U Menu) is installed, the default gets changed to it (and similiarly the CBHC installer only reverts the change to the default)

Slegiar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to do that - in fact reinstalling the Wii U Menu, as the 5.5.3 update will do, will automatically "uninstall" (= disable) CBHC

Remember, CBHC is a two-part effort - effectively replacing a DS game with an homebrew, and forcibly setting said DS game as the default app;
and when something that officially declares itself to qualify as a valid default app (which for retail consoles is only Wii U Menu) is installed, the default gets changed to it (and similiarly the CBHC installer only reverts the change to the default)

So basically if by some chance we ever do get another update, CBHC just gets replaced normally and just needs to be reinstated afterwards.....at least, as long as nothing in the update changes stuff, so, obviously, caution should be applied beforehand......Thank you as well for that, details like this are the sort of thing that i sometimes miss or forget, yet give me the most headaches of worrying if i'm missing something important, so many thanks!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
CBHC just gets replaced normally and just needs to be reinstated afterwards....
Yep - if anything the problem may be in what the update DOESN'T change (for example, if you modified a critical system title and now don't have an autobooting CFW to make it pass)

Slegiar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep - if anything the problem may be in what the update DOESN'T change (for example, if you modified a critical system title and now don't have an autobooting CFW to make it pass)

Pretty sure i should be okay then. i think i just followed the "GUIDE" website to do a standard setup, and then have been sticking to installing things to my 2tb external. if i remember, the only program used differently for that besides the verified DS VC title was the mii channel, right? and the steps set things back to normal after everything is in place......i dunno, it's been a while so, obviously, i'm a little fuzzy on it. suffice to say, i don't think i've modified anything else, so, should be all good ^_^

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pretty sure i should be okay then. i think i just followed the "GUIDE" website to do a standard setup, and then have been sticking to installing things to my 2tb external. if i remember, the only program used differently for that besides the verified DS VC title was the mii channel, right? and the steps set things back to normal after everything is in place......i dunno, it's been a while so, obviously, i'm a little fuzzy on it. suffice to say, i don't think i've modified anything else, so, should be all good ^_^
Yeah, nothing on Vwii is critical to the WiiU mode (except for updating and factory resetting which require a working Wii Menu, IOS80, and BC-NAND kernel), and the Mii Channel isn't critical for Wii/Vwii anyway

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tl;dr I believe the system detects out-of-date tickets, possibly from the version.bin. you don't necessarily need to be on the latest, rather outdated. correct me if I"m wrong, but doesn't the 3ds do this also?

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the console will always be notified if an update is out or if its been released, so when something is changed on the gamepad's firmware and the wii u's it detects if it needs a system update even if it doesn't need one because of Nintendo's Intergrated Servers.

Its better you don't update, just stick with CBHC.
So even if a application needs to be updated 9pirated or not) Nintendo has a fail safe to let people know if the content is pirated or sustainable software reminiscence to the other consoles that have come before it including the NES, SNES, Wii, Wii U, and 3ds + switch consoles.

There is one exception to this where the information might display on the gamepad, in that case, (it downloads to the Wii U either way.) 9.9 cfw was made so if the system ever updated the FW will tell or autoboot somewhere else in theory but it hasn't been tested well enough...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
tl;dr I believe the system detects out-of-date tickets, possibly from the version.bin. you don't necessarily need to be on the latest, rather outdated. correct me if I"m wrong, but doesn't the 3ds do this also?
Yes and no: the update system does indeed work by downloading a list of what Nintendo considers standard system titles and their version, compares it with what's installed, and if something is missing or of insufficient version you will be asked to update (or in the WiiU's case it's automatic)

The difference from the 3DS is that, due to automatic updates, the console will try to download the list relatively often and report any trouble as an "update failure" regardless if any titles were going to be downloaded (which it can't even know due to the list not being available!)

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if something is missing or of insufficient version you will be asked to update (or in the WiiU's case it's automatic)
Its not fully automatic unless its already downloading software or its being booted up for the first time. Every time you power on and off the console it stays in one mode all the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end