Hacking Anyone else bored?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
One thing I can say, is that power to the USB is not shut off when playing GC games, it just stops accessing them. Some part could be rewritten to access them, but that would be forcing the GC part of the Wii to act in a way it was never intended, so the number of bugs arising could be problematic. Could be done, but could also take lots of work.

Now back to topic... the scene's not that boring, since we've had cIOS13 not too long ago and 14 in the works. Whilst waiting, I'm just doing what I do best - writing books and stories that are more interesting than the ones I read/play in games ;p

JohnnyCheeks

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kosaic said:
I guess for now, we are stuck actually playing games on the darn thing
smile.gif

?_?

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Well, a gamecube loader that loads gamecube games from usb isn't going to happen, nor is any method that would use hardware you couldn't get on a gamecube.

Same thing was said about playing DVDs on the Wii at one point a while back. The Wii wasn't intended to play movie DVDs but it now does. So anyway, I don't buy that it can't be done...

It might be a while off in the future until one of the coders decides to tackle it, but eventually it will come. Once the GC USB loader comes then we will await an awesome loader that gives you a library of Wii/GCN/VC/NES/SNES/N64(when the current bugs are fixed)/Sega/etc games all from one place. That would be the awesomeness I'm lookin for.

I also hear there is slow work on WiiLinux which would be awesome.

I'd also like to get a better browser ported to the Wii. Firefox portable or a more feature rich Opera would be really nice.

Either way, I'm not incredibly bored and if I knew how to do the awesome stuff that you coders/hackers do then I'd be out helping right now. But alas... Keep up the awesome work and if you are bored then enjoy the fruits of everyone's labor!

Hideki-kun

Trophies
Website
techno-bite.com
XP
Country
Midnightzak said:
QUOTE said:
Well, a gamecube loader that loads gamecube games from usb isn't going to happen, nor is any method that would use hardware you couldn't get on a gamecube.

Same thing was said about playing DVDs on the Wii at one point a while back. The Wii wasn't intended to play movie DVDs but it now does. So anyway, I don't buy that it can't be done...

Actually, it was. the Wii originally was designed to play DVDs, but they decided against it. They left some code in. This is also the reason only DVD-Rs work IIRC, because DVD movies are only -rs or something like that o.o

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want "objectives"?

You want "goals"

Here are a few things...

1) Someone PLEASE update the Internet Channel. Teq was off to a great start but the damn channel could use some help BADLY

2) If #1 cant be fully accomplished then someone should port a different browser to the Wii

3) Instant Messaging! I was working on some artwork but with nobody interested in programing a messenger, why bother to continue? If I can find a programmer willing to work on a Yahoo Messenger channel with me I will be more then willing to provide the artwork I gave and new works to help things out.

4) We have a camera coming out in a few months. I'm sure somebody will ma a homebrew game or two that uses this camera.

5) I know its being worked on but the new GUI for MPlayer CE will be something to look forward to

6) Wii64 and the PS One emus are still being worked on. That will spike some interest.

7) Would be nice if someone could make a custom home menu that we could patch into our future games. One that supports a clock and message reading/sending from it. Its lame to have to exit a game just to check a message. Not sure if this can be accomplished but if so I would be more than happy to patch my games with the new home menu.

...Well that's all of my ideas for now. Somebody get working! *chuckle*
wink.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
LightyKD said:
4) We have a camera coming out in a few months. I'm sure somebody will ma a homebrew game or two that uses this camera.
Wouldn't it be handy if we had the camera for developement? Maybe good for when it releases
wink.gif
But an eye-toy game would be great.

7) Would be nice if someone could make a custom home menu that we could patch into our future games. One that supports a clock and message reading/sending from it. Its lame to have to exit a game just to check a message. Not sure if this can be accomplished but if so I would be more than happy to patch my games with the new home menu.
Very difficult. The home menu gets loaded from the game itself. I don't think it accesses the wii nand.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
LightyKD said:
Wouldn't it be handy if we had the camera for developement? Maybe good for when it releases
wink.gif
But an eye-toy game would be great.

Very difficult. The home menu gets loaded from the game itself. I don't think it accesses the wii nand.

What about games like Guitar Hero, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. They are able to get some bits of info from the nand. Im no expert on it but they might be good places to learn from.

MakoBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno why does everyone keep wanting a damn Game Cube USB loader, i mean what's the damn point?, go get a real GC and play the damn game there, without any problems or compability issues. To those that say they can't "find" a GC anywhere
wacko.gif
, go to ebay they go for $8-$10 each WITH controller
blink.gif

BlackEnigma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found one under my bed so I decided not to go to ebay.

I also found a NES, SNES, Genesis, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, and PlayStation 2 under there.

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
MakoBlue said:
Dunno why does everyone keep wanting a damn Game Cube USB loader, i mean what's the damn point?, go get a real GC and play the damn game there, without any problems or compability issues. To those that say they can't "find" a GC anywhere
wacko.gif
, go to ebay they go for $8-$10 each WITH controller
blink.gif

I don't think getting the GC is the problem (as there is a GC in your Wii) but probably getting the games.

GC games can be really expensive and sometimes really hard to find.
Easily backing up your original GC games like you can with Wii games would be great as well.

nknave

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Unfortunally for my broken GameCube, and my only game
frown.gif

My hacked wii refuses to play Luigi's Mansion Backup. Original Runs Fine, but I love the whole runing backups deal.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midnightzak said:
QUOTE said:

I don't think you quite understand why I stated it isn't going to happen.

The Wii has a dvd drive, and Nintendo planned on letting it play DVD's but scrapped it and left code in that helped hackers to enable it.

The MIOS is designed to ONLY enable hardware used by the Gamecube. The modifications made to it now enable it to play backups from burned discs, something you could do with a gamecube when modified.

But, USB was not something the gamecube had, nor was it planned by Nintendo.

This is very similar to people who ask why you can't load PS1 games from the PS2's usb like you can with PS2 games using the right software. And, not surprisingly, the PS2 does not have a PS1 usb loader of any kind despite the system being available for a very long time.

wiiztec

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nagnose said:
what ever happened to bootmii opening the floodgates of the wii to hackers
Exactly, wouldn't it be possible with MINI for someone to to code their own custom GC mode with USB support?

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiztec said:
nagnose said:
what ever happened to bootmii opening the floodgates of the wii to hackers
Exactly, wouldn't it be possible with MINI for someone to to code their own custom GC mode with USB support?

Yes, but it would take a HIGHLY expierianced coder like Waninkoko to develop something like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...