PS1/2 Any Ps2 Modbo 5.0v modchipping tutorials?

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Another valid alternative is a boot/swap disc, though you will probably get bored of using it after 5 uses :P

If you're reasonably sure the motherboard wasn't replaced - 100% chance it doesn't support updates

We Europeans never got the "full" PS2 hardware models (cech-A and B)... and they use more than double the electric power!

Modded ps2 uses more power?And i can change motherboard?But i think that the processor and all the hardware stuff is there,so it would cost like full ps2.And what is boot/swap disc?
It would be nice if you answer,because i am looking for alternatives.
Thanks for your reply anyway.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Modded ps2 uses more power?And i can change motherboard?But i think that the processor and all the hardware stuff is there,so it would cost like full ps2.And what is boot/swap disc?
It would be nice if you answer,because i am looking for alternatives.
Thanks for your reply anyway.
A PS3 (all of them I think - but especially the ones with full or partial PS2 hardware) use more power than a PS2 :)
A PS2 with a running HDD (whether internal (not for your model) or USB) uses a little more power than a PS2 without disk ;)
A PS2 with a chip uses just a little bit more power than a PS2 without a chip ;) ;)

It's not practical to put a 7xxxx motherboard in the case of a 9xxxx console and you would have little gain, if you want to really upgrade your console get a fat model with original network adapter and HDD :)

Some commercial discs (that run on an unmodded console) and allow you to run homebrew from USB exist, like Swap Magic Coder and certain cheat discs; of course, you would need to use them every time you reset the console...

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
A PS3 (all of them I think - but especially the ones with full or partial PS2 hardware) use more power than a PS2 :)
A PS2 with a running HDD (whether internal (not for your model) or USB) uses a little more power than a PS2 without disk ;)
A PS2 with a chip uses just a little bit more power than a PS2 without a chip ;) ;)

It's not practical to put a 7xxxx motherboard in the case of a 9xxxx console and you would have little gain, if you want to really upgrade your console get a fat model with original network adapter and HDD :)

Some commercial discs (that run on an unmodded console) and allow you to run homebrew from USB exist, like Swap Magic Coder and certain cheat discs; of course, you would need to use them every time you reset the console...

I guess i will have to stay with the modchip.Ps2 from ebay is expensive and i could get scamed.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but not for nothing wasn't HDLoader made on retail disc and allowed you to hook up a HDD and copy your games to it no mod needed and you could add iso to the drive

also, I hope you have good soldering skills the ps2 gets a little tight nowhere near the ps3 level but very little room for error

swap disc trick yeah those were the days

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
but not for nothing wasn't HDLoader made on retail disc and allowed you to hook up a HDD and copy your games to it no mod needed and you could add iso to the drive

also, I hope you have good soldering skills the ps2 gets a little tight nowhere near the ps3 level but very little room for error

Can you tell me more about HDLoader?You mean that i could download ISO games on a HDD without hacking my ps2?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So i guess i have no other choice besides chip modding?
Reminding that my Ps2 slim is scph 90004.
an R-chassis, which matters more than just being a 9xxxx :)

Chip, swap disc, or replacement console...

A good chip will do the job fine, and if you install it yourself (or with some other source of free labor) it's also the cheapest option

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
an R-chassis, which matters more than just being a 9xxxx :)

Chip, swap disc, or replacement console...

A good chip will do the job fine, and if you install it yourself (or with some other source of free labor) it's also the cheapest option
So i read a bit about swap magic,and if i am not wrong,i could play burned games without chipping?How is this working?
It would be nice to play ISO games without chipping,because still i don't want to chip it very much.
Are you sure swap magic could work on a scph 90004?
Thanks for the reply!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So i read a bit about swap magic,and if i am not wrong,i could play burned games without chipping?How is this working?
It would be nice to play ISO games without chipping,because still i don't want to chip it very much.
Are you sure swap magic could work on a scph 90004?
Thanks for the reply!
The console verifies (in hardware) each disc as it is inserted, and also verifies them (in software) as they are started

Chips solve the first issue by simulating an original disc, and mostly solve the second by overriding the software that does the checks as it is loaded (hopefully said software conforms to the kind expected by chip makers, which is true on an otherwise unmodified console, but starts breaking once mods, official and unofficial, like FMCB/FHDB/HDDOSD/PSBBN are added)

Swap discs, combined with some method that prevents the console from knowing that the disc was removed (flip-top case replacement or jamming the cover-closed sensors), solve the first issue by being equivalent to original CDs or DVDs (you will need the appropriate type of swap disc matching the backup) and the console not knowing better when you swap it; and the second one by starting the game themselves instead of letting the console's firmware do that

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
The console verifies (in hardware) each disc as it is inserted, and also verifies them (in software) as they are started

Chips solve the first issue by simulating an original disc, and mostly solve the second by overriding the software that does the checks as it is loaded (hopefully said software conforms to the kind expected by chip makers, which is true on an otherwise unmodified console, but starts breaking once mods, official and unofficial, like FMCB/FHDB/HDDOSD/PSBBN are added)

Swap discs, combined with some method that prevents the console from knowing that the disc was removed (flip-top case replacement or jamming the cover-closed sensors), solve the first issue by being equivalent to original CDs or DVDs (you will need the appropriate type of swap disc matching the backup) and the console not knowing better when you swap it; and the second one by starting the game themselves instead of letting the console's firmware do that

Well thanks for the reply!As i said already,i ordered a swap disc.
Also wanted to ask,is there any way that the ps2 could look better on a FullHD screen?I want to play on a FullHD TV,but the games are kinda pixelated,any adapters or something?

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well thanks for the reply!As i said already,i ordered a swap disc.
Also wanted to ask,is there any way that the ps2 could look better on a FullHD screen?I want to play on a FullHD TV,but the games are kinda pixelated,any adapters or something?

ps2 should support rgb 480p I think, your not getting any more out of that

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First, make sure you are using a quality (shielded) YPbPr component cable, not a $7 china special

Then, assuming your TV (which admittedly is not the best for the PS2 generation - ideally, match hardware that was common in the same years) has poor upscaling, you may try software upscaling with GSM (a standalone homebrew for disc games, built into some versions of OPL for backups via USB/SMB, far from 100% compatibility) or a dedicated hardware upscaler (you usually get what you pay for)

ps2 should support rgb 480p I think, your not getting any more out of that
The console can technically pump out 1080p (D5), with only a few commercial games pushing it to 1080i (D3) - but remember, mo' megapizzas (especially when upscaled) don't equal mo' quality

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...