PS1/2 Any Ps2 Modbo 5.0v modchipping tutorials?

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I want to mod chip my ps2 slim scph 90004 with a Modbo 5.0v,but i couldn't find enough information.So first of all,i guess i will need a diagram for the modchipping.And there i have 2 questions.What wires should i use for the chipping?And is it too hard?If i connect something wrong,can i cut the wire and replace it?Also,what should i do when i modchip it?Can i just run games on DVD that i install,or i need something more?
Thanks.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I want to mod chip my ps2 slim scph 90004 with a Modbo 5.0v,but i couldn't find enough information.So first of all,i guess i will need a diagram for the modchipping.And there i have 2 questions.What wires should i use for the chipping?And is it too hard?If i connect something wrong,can i cut the wire and replace it?Also,what should i do when i modchip it?Can i just run games on DVD that i install,or i need something more?
Thanks.
There are some old diagrams in the download section, although it says they are for the Matrix chip; you should find out if they use the same points or not.

AWG 30 should suffice to wire the chip. No need to cut the wires if you do it wrong, simply add heat and remove the wire and solder.

It is difficult, there are a lot of small points you need to solder. That is to say, it is not impossible -- my first solder job was when I installed a matrix chip in my PS2, and if I could do it, you can too. I don't know if you have any experience or not, but if you don't, be sure to watch some guides, and remember that flux is your friend.

After you have installed the chip, you can run burnt DVDs and CDs on it (i.e. backups). It is also an entry point for FMCB, which lets you run homebrew on your PS2, run games through USB (although it can be buggy, it is limited by USB 1 speeds) and through the ethernet port and SMB sharing (with e.g. a raspberry pi or computer), which is neat

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Thanks for the reply!But is there any difference between Modbo 5.0v and any other modchip?I want to buy it from Ebay,and all of the deals are for Modbo 5.0v,and if there is diference,do you recommend me to look for a specific chip? .And also just to be sure,will the awg 30 wire be ok for the whole chipping?I just saw on a tutorial that you'll need 3v wire for few of the connections,and a 5v for the other connections.And last two questions.First,can i play online (i know the servers are down,but you can still play Battlefront 2),and second,as I say on a few videos,the start screen will be another,can i do something with it?Really love the original start up.
Thanks for you reply!

Last edited by Jah-coin,

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the reply!But is there any difference between Modbo 5.0v and any other modchip?I want to buy it from Ebay,and all of the deals are for Modbo 5.0v,and if there is diference,do you recommend me to look for a specific chip? .And also just to be sure,will the awg 30 wire be ok for the whole chipping?I just saw on a tutorial that you'll need 3v wire for few of the connections,and a 5v for the other connections.And last two questions.First,can i play online (i know the servers are down,but you can still play Battlefront 2),and second,as I say on a few videos,the start screen will be another,can i do something with it?Really love the original start up.
Thanks for you reply!
The Modbo chips are Matrix clones, so if you haven't bought one yet, I would reccomend getting a Matrix Infinity v1.93 (the latest Matrix firmware). If you still want a Modbo chip, I would go for the 4.0 version (if I recall correctly, 4.0 still uses the original Matrix v1.93 firmware, but 5.0 included some updates to said firmware that may have compatability problems).

Personally, I have AWG 30 for most of the points, except for GND and VCC, which are slightly larger (maybe AWG 24 or AWG 28, I don't remember), so if you want to be sure the wires can handle it, you could do that too. However, my first PS2 was installed with only AWG 30, and that worked well for a couple of years until the DVD drive died (from unrelated causes).

I am sorry, but I don't know about the splash screen and online play, but maybe someone else here knows

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
The Modbo chips are Matrix clones, so if you haven't bought one yet, I would reccomend getting a Matrix Infinity v1.93 (the latest Matrix firmware). If you still want a Modbo chip, I would go for the 4.0 version (if I recall correctly, 4.0 still uses the original Matrix v1.93 firmware, but 5.0 included some updates to said firmware that may have compatability problems).

Personally, I have AWG 30 for most of the points, except for GND and VCC, which are slightly larger (maybe AWG 24 or AWG 28, I don't remember), so if you want to be sure the wires can handle it, you could do that too. However, my first PS2 was installed with only AWG 30, and that worked well for a couple of years until the DVD drive died (from unrelated causes).

I am sorry, but I don't know about the splash screen and online play, but maybe someone else here knows
Thanks for the reply!I will check few things and if i have more questiosn i will eventually ask you.

Reactions: Snomannen_kalle

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria

Still i think to buy the modbo because its a lot cheaper.

murdersbane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I don't see the point in a modded ps2... Cept maybe just for modding sake? PS3 can be bought for the same price as a ps2 nowadays and all can run ps2 games ._. just a madder of getting the right software to do so

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Honestly I don't see the point in a modded ps2... Cept maybe just for modding sake? PS3 can be bought for the same price as a ps2 nowadays and all can run ps2 games ._. just a madder of getting the right software to do so
You can say that about pretty much anything though -- as long as you have a powerful enough computer, you can emulate most systems and not need a single console

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I want to mod it because i already have ps2,but i don't know what to do with it.Games on ebay are 20$ or even more.I want to mod it so i can play exclusives i missed and to play some co-op games with friends.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can say that about pretty much anything though -- as long as you have a powerful enough computer, you can emulate most systems and not need a single console

I want to mod it because i already have ps2,but i don't know what to do with it.Games on ebay are 20$ or even more.I want to mod it so i can play exclusives i missed and to play some co-op games with friends.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I understand, I feel the same way. Besides, console modding is rather fun :P

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

A good guide for for your version 90004 (it have all Versions):

https://quade.co/ps2-modchip-guide/modbo/v17/

It also says:
Note that there are multiple versions of the Modbo modchips available, but the installation diagrams are all the same. Some example versions are Modbo 3.0, Modbo 4.0, Modbo 5.0, and Modbo 750.

Good luck.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Only PS3 launch models are hardware compatible to PS2, all others run PS2 games with emulation that has a whole bunch of issues. And even if that doesn't matter to you you'll still need a downgradable PS3 if you don't want to bother with the (IMHO) convoluted HAN method (tutorial).

@Jah-coin is your PS2 one of the SCPH-9000 models that's incompatible with FMCB? Or do you have a Slim model? Because while loading from USB is pretty inconvenient and slow I had a much better experience with streaming ISOs via network from a SMB share.

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I don't understand all you said in your last sentence (Because while loading from USB is pretty inconvenient and slow I had a much better experience with streaming ISOs via network from a SMB share).
I only understood that launching ISO games from usb is slow,but what is SMB share?And also,when i modchip my ps2,how can i run games with an usb?
Yes,my ps2 is 90004 that is incompatible with the FMCB mod.I can only modchip it.
Thanks for the reply!

Thanks!I will check it.

Jah-coin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Also i want to ask,how can i recognize,from which side is this diagram?I mean,is it on the left or the right side?For example,i am not sure where is CX and SX.Is there difference on the different sides?
My reply may be a little bit complicated,but shortly,where is CX,and SX?
And what wires should i use?

It is R.
Still is there any chance,that FMCB could work?
My ps2 is 1d by the way,so i think there aren't any chances,so i will have to use the chip.
But am i right?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess there are no alternatives besides modchipping,because my ps2 is not compatible with FMCB?
Another valid alternative is a boot/swap disc, though you will probably get bored of using it after 5 uses :P

It is R.
Still is there any chance,that FMCB could work?
My ps2 is 1d by the way,
If you're reasonably sure the motherboard wasn't replaced - 100% chance it doesn't support updates

Honestly I don't see the point in a modded ps2... Cept maybe just for modding sake? PS3 can be bought for the same price as a ps2 nowadays and all can run ps2 games
We Europeans never got the "full" PS2 hardware models (cech-A and B)... and they use more than double the electric power!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded