Any PC Indie Gammers

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gamewizard, Mar 28, 2013.

Mar 28, 2013

Any PC Indie Gammers by gamewizard at 12:25 PM (646 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. gamewizard
    OP

Member gamewizard GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I almost exclusively play indie games on PC, Do not get me wrong I do play the occasional AAA title but it was indie games that got started playing PC games like I do. (I don't own any console outside of my Wii and 3DS both of which where gifts) Any one else play indie games a lot?

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    I do play indies game as well. Actually a fan if such game has "cartoon" graphics.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Indie, triple-A, or otherwise... Makes little difference to me. I play a game for its entertainment value. Terrarria has given me just as much enjoyment as smash bros has.

Magsor, Minox and Celice like this.
  4. matthi321

Member matthi321 GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    yes i play alot of indie games. but only if they are free

5. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    I say one thing.. Humble Bundles

Rydian likes this.
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I love gammes. Couldn't give 2 fucks who makes em.

Attila13 likes this.
  7. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I play whatever I end up enjoying. There are indie titles, many, which are shit and are made by people who have very little skill or knowledge as to what makes a game good. Then there are others which are sharp with their presentation and game engine, and create an enjoyable game to play.

This applies to indie and bigger dev teams with publishers; the difference is that almost anybody can fire up an indie project without a publisher, especially on the PC--the topic of this topic. Whereas when you have publishers in the mix, aside from shovelwares, there seems to be a certain degree of polish expected, which free-projects, like many indie ones, do not have to abide by.

8. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    >Guy asks anyone play indie games
    >Get response about how nobody gives a shit if they play indie games

9. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    I agree with your point, but a big plus about indies is also that the motivation behind the games isn't money, but in most cases, presenting their creative views to the audience. This can result in alternative games which can be completely different and, if executed well, make a big change in the gaming scene. This also applies to other art forms.

Celice and Rydian like this.
  10. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    I Do a fair bit aye

11. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I wouldn't go that far. I'm specifically thinking of the mass of shitty indie titles on Xbox Arcade or whatever it's called, and now it's coming on to Steam too (along with several of those indie-specific distributors). If you look at the overall quality of these games, you start to notice that they seem to want money more than prestige for their work.

Indies do not entail games with no money as a goal; and because games are still an entertainment industry, and it has yet to shake out of that (it's doing better though as technology has made development more open to a wider audience), making money is a pretty big incentive in the process, no matter how abstract or artistic the developer or development team is behind the product. True indie titles made without a budget, including several big mod projects, don't necessarily have to face this problem, but once you are in a public market, making money is the way you actually get reimbursed for your work. And very few institutions in the western world are about to go about financing or supporting an independent game for the mass market :/

Rydian likes this.
  12. gamewizard
    OP

Member gamewizard GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sometime the free ones lead to award winning remakes. For instance take treasure adventure game started as a freeware tittle is now being remade with better graphics and won several design awards at IGF.