Any flashcart that can run emulators?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by pedro702, Aug 12, 2018.

1. pedro702
    OP

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    Like the title suggests is there any 3ds mode flashcart that can run retroarch emulators directly? without having to install retroarch emulators on your 3ds?

and i mean 3ds mode not ds mode emulators.

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Your best bet is to install CFW and 3ds flashcart can not run hombrew

3. pedro702
    OP

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    wierd that no 3ds flashcart can run homebrew very wierd imo.

Doesnt stargate 3ds says it can run emulators?

4. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Any 3ds flashcart that claims to run emulators are doing so through DS Homebrew.

5. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Startgate3ds = Gateway3ds so they r running an emunand to do so

Last edited by Shadow#1, Aug 12, 2018
  6. pedro702
    OP

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    it sucks i cant have a flashcart full of roms and emus so i can change it around from one 3ds to another :S

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    There are 2 kinds of flashcards: those that do accurate card emulation (Sky - and therefore require signed roms, unless the console is modded in the first place), and those that are a random piece of hardware requiring proprietary drivers (Gateway and clones)

In either case you need to have CFW in the first place, and there are already not one but two formats that can be used to run homebrew on CFW

(Nothing forbids you from trying to convert RetroCrap.cia to RetroCrap.3ds - the newest versions of makerom have such a feature - but results are not guaranteed)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh, you're doing this for the saves? Then you will definitely need to mod the emulators (in the source code) to adapt them from loading arbitrary files on the console's SD to roms from their romfs and saves to a standard 3DS save (the latter part has never been done in any homebrew, to the best of my knowledge)

8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Don't waste money on 3DS flashcarts, majority of the good features still require a CFW to be installed. You are better off being R4i Gold Plus, installing a CFW, and running your emulators that way.

9. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Kid now, squid now

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    For starters, RA has been broken for quite some time and newer versions don't even boot. Not to mention that homebrew doesn't like running from flashcarts, and gateway needs an emunand anyways, so it isn't worth it for transferring saves.

10. pedro702
    OP

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i already have cfw bs9 but i wanted a flashcart that could store the emulators,roms and rom saves themselves since i have 2 3dss and havint to transfer saves between them is a mess.