any emulatable Magic: The Gathering game?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by concealed identi, Oct 17, 2008.

Oct 17, 2008
  1. concealed identi
    OP

Member concealed identi GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    I thought of this game today and felt like nerding out for a bit. I haven't played it in well over a decade and was hoping there was some video game version that came out at some point that might work in some emulator on my DS.

Anybody know?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    DS commercial. Nothing.

DS homebrew. A couple of card viewers, nothing more.

PSP homebrew: something got released a day or two back:
    http://wololo.net/wagic/

Other systems. Everything is either too new and/or merely set in the same universe.

Your best bet is to look for some web based (and couple it with something like DSHobro/DS2key or perhaps host your own server and use a conventional browser). Card games work best in real life so I am afraid you will have to wait for someone else to appear or go searching.
    Still: Java based:
    http://www.firemox.org/
    http://octgn.org/legacy/

3. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I know there is NO market for it, but damn would we kill for a Hecatomb emulator.

4. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Well isn't there the thing like YGO virtual desktop with magic cards for the pc?,of course it's manual and requires knowledge of the game.....

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    eh, i think there was a palm pilot application that did something like this..... but its been years since i have used mine

6. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No one has mentioned the commercial Magic:Online yet. It's pretty well polished, and is as real to playing the actual game as you can get.

Unfortunately... it also costs as much as playing Magic in real life. You have to buy decks and booster packs for Magic:Online just as you would in real life, and the prices are pretty much the same. This can get really expensive really quick, but if you live out in the boonies and have no one to play Magic with it might be worth your time/money.

Last time I checked, I believe there is a demo available.

7. Dark

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think I saw a magic private server.

8. concealed identi
    OP

Member concealed identi GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not really interested enough to pay a ton of money to get virtual "cards" or play online, I just wanted something to pass the time and relive my former (?) geekdom.

9. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    http://www.magicworkstation.com/

It doesn't have all the rules stacked and programmed like MTGO, but from what some of my MTG playing friends tell me it's pretty damn good, plus you can download picture/card packs(from other sites, it's a legal thing like roms cause of Wizard owning the art and such) so that you can have the actual card images and you can go as far back as Alpha and Beta(unlike MTGO where it only goes back to Ice Age).

10. fateastray

Member fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    There used to be a Magic: The Gathering PC game back in '97. I remembered it played pretty good. Fun way to learn the rules too.

11. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    That RPG style one where you walk around and do card battles with evil minions? Used to waste hours and hours on that...