Anti-Piracy...

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Fatboy12345236, Jul 7, 2009.

Jul 7, 2009

Anti-Piracy... by Fatboy12345236 at 9:41 AM (2,793 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Fatboy12345236
    OP

Member Fatboy12345236 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    So... Which game do you think went to its limits to protect itself from piracy?
    I'm putting my vote with Spore EA put a limit on number of times a serial can be used of course it was cracked this methed also needed internet which was inconvenient to some people.

Post what game it was and how it was protected

2. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    E.T. for the Atari 2600.

It was so bad that not only did people not buy it, but nobody wanted to pirate it either! Best Copy Protection = Make a Terrible Game xD

3. Fatboy12345236
    OP

Australia
    There that must have been horrible heres something that either people hav'nt bothered cracking or hav failed 2 crack Star wars Clone Wars 4 DS I still cant get that 250mb MAX SIZE game 2 work I think u can make it think u r using an action replay so it ignores code changes but it frezes up after the first turturial bit

Posts merged

LOL! Look at the gamespot user reviews LOOK AT THEM!

http://au.gamespot.com/atari2600/action/et...ial/review.html

4. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Recently, both R4 and DSTT have had unofficial firmware updates that make this game work.

5. Fatboy12345236
    OP

Australia
    Oh OK Well R4 is dead but it still does not work on my edge I hav not found a patched rom or anything so...

Posts merged

opps my bad you said there unoffical any do u hav a game which u think had a anti-piracy system? Whats ur vote?

6. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

NO that does not work look at all the damn IMAGINE/PETZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ(insert another million z's here)

games like that are out for ds and have still been dumped!

and E.T. has a .bin dump too so no! ....Bad games does not = good copy protection!

for the thread NONE all COPY PROTECTION no matter how hardcore it is they all get broken! **

even those with hardware dongles/accessories get busted look at GH DS they just brought out clone grips or cheat hacks!

...Wii fit say hello to Wü fit and other cheap spinoff hardware bundles just get cloned and sold cheaper!

disc protection like secure rom etc everyone knows where to get a no cd crack

software exists that do 1:1 copies or byte for byte and ignore errors can result in working backups of games of most pc stuff!

code wheels never worked thanks to scanners and photocopiers ... they even tried printing on PURPLE paper with black ink back in the day so they would not show under photocopies ... they just got hand written out and photocopied instead!

Subliminal messages in audio tracks don't work either (Nice try lotus esprit turbo challenge on Amiga suggest Google that one)

**Only copy protection as far as games go that's been proven to be effective mainly due to cost/size factor is PS3 and BLU RAY disks blanks are too expensive burners are too expensive and the dumps are way too big for people to be a$$ed to download! (although dumps exist no one to date has cracked ps3 to make them work!)

Hell even store demo games and partial buggy beta games are dumped not much use to anyone but the collections are out there!

I'm not a piracy advocate here but its a pointless battle ...even if they cost pennies and the consoles they are on they would still get dumped/copied its the world/society we live in of wanting to HAVE EVERYTHING yet pay NOTHING!

7. Fatboy12345236
    OP

Australia
    I have to go with both of u they would'nt hav bothered dumping = no need 4 coppy protection = best copy protection
    but if theres no dumping = no copy protection lol

lol works on oppiside levels

8. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    steel battalion for the original xbox, it required a twin joystick, 40 button, three foot pedal controller to play. (its actually a really good game, even if it cost more than the original xbox)

9. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Cartidge based systems back in the days of the SNES and N64 were effective against piracy. Of course the same can't be said of the GBA or DS due to flashcards, but I don't think piracy was as rampant o nthe older cartidge based systems.

I also haven't heard of any piracy on the PS3 due to it using bluray and the tight security the PS3 has. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. [​IMG] )

Not game specific I know, but I'll just say all the games on those systems. [​IMG]

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well, you can buy blank Bluray discs and probably, with a modchip or something, burn games onto the discs, but Bluray discs are more expensive than DVD's, not to mention you have to have something that burns to Bluray (IDK if regular CD/DVD burners can do it so). And IDK if there are any PS3 modchips.

Personally, the old clunky cartridges (like the SNES and N64 as you mentioned) were the best anti-piracy measure. Since the internet wasn't nearly as big back then and computers didn't have all the bells and whistles we have today (USB drives, DVD burners, SD card slots, etc), it would be pretty hard to pirate games. Anyway no one really makes modchips or flashcarts for them because you can just load them up on an emulator.

11. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    well, i was pirating SFC/SNES when i was young
    it was a device that allows you to dump games to 1.44" floopy disc, copy, read and write

i was able to play pirate FF5, Chrono Trigger,DQ 5 and many other great titles via those device
    basically all you need is get someone to dump the game
    and
    you go to a game shop and get them to copy those dumped games via device to the 1.44" floopy disc!
    a disc used to cost approximate 1.5 USD

off topic:
    usually we get early dumps [​IMG]

12. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    My friend had some kind of hard disk contraption back up unit for his SNES and N64 -- you put the roms on it via floppy disk and hook it up to the console -- I never did get them myself, too expensive -- demand was too small back then and prices were high...
    These days, if they still made them, I'm sure they'd be much cheaper and everyone could buy one...

13. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Make a digital distribution model that works and make high quality games at a lower/competitive price.

See also VALVe and Steam Client.

14. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

Sony are already trying that way but again = FAIL ... FFVII and PATAPON already dumped from PSN along with many other PSN released titles for PSP

DLC for Wii has been cracked ... Wiiware dumped etc etc the list goes on nothing is really that secure in the end!

15. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    wii fit, because you cant download a balance board [​IMG]

16. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    This may not hold true for steam, but I have noticed that games from other digital distributers can cost alot more then a physical copy of the game. There is really no excuse for this except for greed. They are cutting out the middleman, the costs for making the dvd,game case, manual and also transit costs.

I'd prefer to have a physical copy of a game anyway. There is nothing stopping Valve or other digital distributers going bust in the next few months and steam going down the tubes. You'd be left high and dry then. [​IMG]

17. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    game peripherals. GH and rockband come to mind. even if you download the game you cant really play them well on a stock controller.

TAGES protection, see anno1404. took a good 2-3 weeks or so before a crack came around.

18. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Probably make online features compelling enough to buy the game IE TF2.

19. iNFiNiTY

Member iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Starforce when used properly is probably the hardest software protection to crack on any game. Dongle protection used on Cubase 4 another one, thats not been cracked at all but dongles won't ever be used on games most likely, would be interesting if they did though.

20. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Didn't they take down the online component soon after release though because not many people bought it?