Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shaunj66 said:
Armadillo said:
Booo , means the update that fixes it will probably be on mario kart
frown.gif
But as long as we don't update our Wii's then we should be able to hack out the update in MK Wii and play it as usual, no?

Guess so , but I don't have modded wii yet , was planning on getting a wasabi soon (no money or time to fit it at the moment) ,so if it's got the update , it's either buy the game and take the update , or order a chip in sooner than i was planning and make time to fit it
frown.gif
. Also wanted to buy original mario kart anyway.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hate to break this to you but the IOS updates are the ones that are needed to run to make newer games work.
In other words these are the updates why MP3, SMG and SSBB do not run when you just brickblock them.

I still don't know how the freeloader gets around these...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't there an odd game here or there that freeloader doesn't run unless you update or at least partial update. I'm sure there was a topic somewhere on this forum that even with freeloader ssbb has to do some sort of update. So it would seem it may come down to either , signing your own stuff or mario kart , but not both.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
bailli said:
Hate to break this to you but the IOS updates are the ones that are needed to run to make newer games work.
In other words these are the updates why MP3, SMG and SSBB do not run when you just brickblock them.

Then we'll just use Freeloader forever then!

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
shaunj66 said:
Armadillo said:
Booo , means the update that fixes it will probably be on mario kart
frown.gif
But as long as we don't update our Wii's then we should be able to hack out the update in MK Wii and play it as usual, no?

Not if it's the same as Brawl, Metroid, etc. and requires a firmware update on the disc to be installed. Which I can bet your ass it will.

Although...
A new Wii System Update has been released, containing a new version of the firmware (IOS37) with a fix for the signing bug. The firmware will not become active until a new System Menu release is made to use it; be forewarned.
If ONLY the IOS update is required for the game to run (ie. the 'future system menu update' is not required), then you could potentially hack the ISO to include only the firmware update(s) without the system menu update. I have no idea what the chances are of this working however (did SSBB require the system menu update in addition to the firmware one?)

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bailli said:

According to the Freeloader manual, inserting the disc, ejecting, and then inserting it again, will cause the upgrade program to be selectively loaded. I believe, in these cases, it just blocks the firmware update. So, if the IOS updates are different from the firmware updates, does that perhaps mean that even the FreeLoader won't block them?

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
g4jek8j54 said:
bailli said:

According to the Freeloader manual, inserting the disc, ejecting, and then inserting it again, will cause the upgrade program to be selectively loaded. I believe, in these cases, it just blocks the firmware update. So, if the IOS updates are different from the firmware updates, does that perhaps mean that even the FreeLoader won't block them?
You've got it the wrong way around. The IOS updates are the firmware updates - the freeloader allows these to run when you insert it the second time, but blocks all the unneeded channel updates etc.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dirtie said:
If ONLY the IOS update is required for the game to run (ie. the 'future system menu update' is not required), then you could potentially hack the ISO to include only the firmware update(s) without the system menu update. I have no idea what the chances are of this working however (did SSBB require the system menu update in addition to the firmware one?)

Hm well the problem is that a game can "select" which IOS version it wants to run and I guess/fear a "patched" mario kart could identify itself as patched and refuse to run even if the fix is not "activated by the system menu".
Ofcourse you can take this cat and mouse game one step further and patch the IOS version the game wants to run to a lower version, but that version might lack a functionality the game needs...

J

Jackreyes

-sigh- i'm too tired for all this.
I'm going to bed

Hopefully we'll know by the morning.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro