Hardware Another PSP Go, another hardware problem?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boy, this has been really frustrating.

First PSP go I get, was nice, white, and stuff... and then not even two days after I find and get the official Sony PSP go cradle, and the component video cable, and that one refuses to charge from any method whatsoever.

Luckily I was able to get it replaced at a gamestop from having their in-store warranty. I had to pay a bit more since this one was a 're-manufactured' model, and it was in black... but I was just fortunate I was able to find another one at all. At least the downgrade + CFW worked (mostly) without a hitch.

But now this one seems to not want to charge from the official cable that was provided with it at all. Not to mention that unlike the first, this one is being rather finicky about when it's time to connect it to the PC. :( It will still charge from the cradle, though.

So, I'm really at a loss of what to do. Assuming I can find another PSP go at one of these to replace it with, what if I just keep finding one busted one after another? :(

So, I'm asking you gents... Should I pursue gamespot to find me another one that actually works? And if so...
  • Should I try to go for it? I like being able to use the bluetooth to hook up a PS3 controller and play on the system, which helps in particular for those PSX games that use more of the controller.
  • Should I just give up and get a 2000/3000 series model? It'd probably feel better in my hands, but then I'd obviously miss the bluetooth... and I'd need to hunt down an MS Pro Duo to use in it, since nobody, anywhere local to me would even carry that magical adapter that would let me use two microSD's in one spot. This would also mean that I would lose the ability to use the cradle and video cable I have meant for the Go...
  • Swear off the PSP altogether?
  • Hope and Pray that I could get my hands on a used Vita with a 'sploitable game installed on it? Kinda don't want to do this because of obvious money issue, but...
Just kinda stumped and not sure where or how to proceed right now.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Personally haven't had any problems with the PSP Go and would recommend it. I do have a PSP-1000 for fiddling around. First thing first, I'd test the cable you're using. If it has problems both charging and connecting to the computer, it sound like a problem with the cable than the console.

I'd go for the PSP Go just for the fact that it has 16 GB internal + possibility for more via M2. If you do want the PSP-2000/3000, go for the adapter from DX.com for example: http://dx.com/s/microsd+pro+duo
They have it (Photofast up to 32 GB) for a few $ and it's free shipping.

The PSP has a great library of games and the PSVita is way more expensive compared to a (used) PSP regardless of the model being 2000, 3000 or Go. If the problem persists with the PSP Go after trying another cable, go to the store you bought it from and try complaining about it.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Get a 1000, 2000 or 3000....then you have less worries about battery issues (since you can switch them easily), a standard USB input and standard power adapter and fewer problems with form factor quibbles.

You lose Bluetooth (which would impact upon the Go's battery anyway) but gain a more gaming friendly console.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not answering your question but, do you use the gbSP emulator on the go. I am pretty sure when the battery runs flat with this emu running it kills the charging circuitry on the go.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the second Go unit that I've had already. The first one would not charge via either cradle or the Sony cable it came with, so I returned it under gamestop's warranty. I also bought the warranty on this one too... but now the problem I see is actually finding another one to replace it with. Even though I have the warranty so I could exchange it, it's if the store will even carry it at all to let me go do that.

I do use the bluetooth, particularly when I have it on the cradle. This is handy when I play the PSX games in particular, such as those that would support dual analog controls. Down the road, I was hoping to also put it to further use by getting a stereo bluetooth headset to use with it. I also have the component video cable, because it's nice to then have it there so it can charge up and I can keep playing on the TV... disappointed with how it decides to stretch PSX games full screen and puts the PSP games in a smaller letterbox, but still better than not being able to do so at all.

The in-built 16GB of storage is nice, but boy does it get small when using the homebrew. As it is, I'm currently at like 700MB's left of what's on the internal memory. And finding M2 cards for the PSP Go is impossible. Nobody carries them anymore. The official Sony store @ the Millenia Mall near me carries M2 adapters, but carries no cards whatsoever. The thing that I get hung up on with the standard PSP's is that if I pick one up I will need an adapter immediately... and nobody anywhere around me has any such adapters for SD to MS Pro Duo. Even what few still carry Pro Duo cards, they want like $25 for an 8gig card, when I could turn around and buy a 32gig µSD for $30 on some weekly sales.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It sounds more like you've already made up your mind and just wanted reassurance about it....Nothing much you've mentioned would make me consider a Go a wiser choice than an alternative model, but it seems you've already bought into the proprietary peripherals.

As for memory....horses for courses...a 4GB stick does me fine! It sounds like you're using the PSP in a home environment so what's the difficulty just swapping out content whenever you want? Surely at least some of it isn't ESSENTIAL?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the way I see it, it'd be a lot easier to roll with a 3000 if I could find the appropriate adapter(s) for at least one SD card in it. It'd mean giving up the cradle and the video cable. Just that I've come to enjoy this little go once I got my hands on some of the homebrew out there; know what I'm saying?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Just get a Pro Duo. They perform better anyway. Having stuff on your MS, using it and then replacing it isn't so hard.

If a Photofast adapter is something you can't live without there's Amazon or even DX.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if I get a 3000, I'm going to need it right away. And even with some regular PSP games, a 4gig card isn't enough. The first go I picked up had both discs of FF Type-0 and that was about 3.5GB by itself. Nevermind the system data and save data it creates. That's just one example. :o

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I disagree of course, mainly because i've used 4GB sticks for the last 6 years, and playing through games and then replacing them when you're finished isn't that much of a hardship.

Surely Sandisk Pro Duo's or even the Photofast adapter shouldn't be that hard for you to source immediately?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree of course, mainly because i've used 4GB sticks for the last 6 years, and playing through games and then replacing them when you're finished isn't that much of a hardship.

Surely Sandisk Pro Duo's or even the Photofast adapter shouldn't be that hard for you to source immediately?
Sadly, around here, it is kind of a problem. It's even just a problem finding a place that carries memory stick cards at all, or anything other than SD's if at all.

Then you have gamestops that basically don't want to stock devices and want to push you to preorders or something all the more expensive and that really doesn't suit you. I only wish I had a smartphone and could have recorded this one phone call I had from one of their store managers who simply could not understand why I would prefer a BC-enabled PS3 instead of a neutered unit. It's honestly embarrassing how many of these MBA snobs are able to get into such entitled positions like they know a damn.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally haven't had any problems with the PSP Go and would recommend it. I do have a PSP-1000 for fiddling around. First thing first, I'd test the cable you're using. If it has problems both charging and connecting to the computer, it sound like a problem with the cable than the console.

I'd go for the PSP Go just for the fact that it has 16 GB internal + possibility for more via M2. If you do want the PSP-2000/3000, go for the adapter from DX.com for example: http://dx.com/s/microsd pro duo
They have it (Photofast up to 32 GB) for a few $ and it's free shipping.

The PSP has a great library of games and the PSVita is way more expensive compared to a (used) PSP regardless of the model being 2000, 3000 or Go. If the problem persists with the PSP Go after trying another cable, go to the store you bought it from and try complaining about it.
Well, a somewhat pleasant end.

Went today, expecting to go replace the PSP go for either another go, or just biting the cost of the accessories and getting a 3000 series. I went over and described the problem, and their attend was like "well, why don't we try the other cable then?" And at least unlike the one I got with the unit, this other one charges fine, and would even recognize properly on PC. Didn't even have to do any transaction or spend any money - just a cable swap and got to be on my way.

In a way, I'm almost relieved... an 8GB Pro Duo card over @ the closest Best Buy to me (one of the few places that still sell 'em) and they want $40 for it.:wacko:

Reactions: Qtis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE