OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Helloo!
My friend managed to brick his wii by uninstalling the menu with a wad manager.
He had 3.1 installed, and he uninstalled 4.1 with a wad manager. He didn't think it would do anything, as he didnt have 4.1 installed.
When the wii is turned on, all there is is a black screen. It can be turned on with a wiimote, and the disc drive still operates.
Is there any free way to get it working? And would a Savemii help?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uninstalling any version of the system menu likely uninstalls the IOSes it associates with, many of which are integral to all versions of the system menu (IOS60, anyone?).

Unfortunately at this point, not even Preloader can help (it depends on IOS60), so you're going to either need BootMii Boot2 or something more drastic to boot into HBC.

If you can get into HBC, reinstalling the system menu using AnyRegion Changer should bring the Wii back to life.

devonodev

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't get into HBC...
Bootmii was (stupidly) not installed, and preloader is gone.
Is it possible to run bootmii without it being installed?

HellFireXS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tell your "friend" to send it to Nintendo, tell Nintendo the power went out while he was updating, if it is under warrantee they will fix it for free if not it will cost (Don't know how much in Australia)

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
devonodev said:
I can't get into HBC...
SaveMii time!

If you already have a SaveMii dongle lying around, awesome; get yourself a game disc with a system menu update (I think ExciteBots has one and is fairly recent) and give it a shot.

No SaveMii dongle? Funnily enough, a Gamecube controller can be used to do the same thing. Simply plug the controller into port 4 and hold Up, Down, Left, and Right on the D+Pad all at once while booting up the Wii with the disc in the drive (yes, all four directions at once. Grab a screwdriver.)

If you can't get those to work, then your friend gets to come up with ideas for his new shiny paperweight, or he can shell out $75 for repairs plus a potential surcharge for having "user modifications" installed.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
devonodev said:
I can't get into HBC...
SaveMii time!

If you already have a SaveMii dongle lying around, awesome; get yourself a game disc with a system menu update (I think ExciteBots has one and is fairly recent) and give it a shot.

No SaveMii dongle? Funnily enough, a Gamecube controller can be used to do the same thing. Simply plug the controller into port 4 and hold Up, Down, Left, and Right on the D+Pad all at once while booting up the Wii with the disc in the drive (yes, all four directions at once. Grab a screwdriver.)

If you can't get those to work, then your friend gets to come up with ideas for his new shiny paperweight, or he can shell out $75 for repairs plus a potential surcharge for having "user modifications" installed.
Sadly even a SaveMii won't work. SaveMii uses the System Menu, which is gone.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Szalkow said:
Uninstalling any version of the system menu likely uninstalls the IOSes it associates with, many of which are integral to all versions of the system menu (IOS60, anyone?).

Unfortunately at this point, not even Preloader can help (it depends on IOS60), so you're going to either need BootMii Boot2 or something more drastic to boot into HBC.

If you can get into HBC, reinstalling the system menu using AnyRegion Changer should bring the Wii back to life.

Uninstalling any system menu, uninstalls the system menu that is installed. Without BootMii and without preloader, you need a (partly) working system menu and a 100% working system menu IOS to do anything. Without system menu, you can forget savemii and modchip stuff to repair.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If your friend has his Wiis keys you can recover it with an infectus and betwiin. Otherwise it's time to send it to Nintendo.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
devonodev said:
My friend managed to brick his wii by uninstalling the menu with a wad manager.

Your friend was you, wasn't it?

I think you are going to have to get Nintendo on the horn!

devonodev

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
aha no it wasn't me. It was my sd card with the files on it though.
If we were to send it to nintendo, would they see that there were 'backup' VC and wiiware games on there?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo won't be able to see anything but the same black screen you're looking at. Chances are they'll just replace the mobo or give you a new Wii with your old account transferred to it or whatever.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
no they will not see, they willnjust try to format and reinstall everything back...or as simply as giving you a new unit...!!
smile.gif

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yea nintendo doesnt even look at your wii so dont fall for any "extra charges for wii modification" bullshit.

next time dont leave system menu wads on your sd card guy.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is your friend a noob to system homebrew maybe he should not touch his wii anymore...

Mr_Boo_Berry

Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL. This kind of thing seems to happen way too often.

Some tips for your friend (or anyone else who doesn't know)...

1) Never uninstall the System Menu.

2) Never uninstall any IOS' or MIOS.

3) Never, ever pull the power or turn off the console when making changes to IOS' or System Menu.

4) Don't play around in WAD Manager unless you have an absolute need to.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
King Of Chaos said:
LOL. This kind of thing seems to happen way too often.

Some tips for your friend (or anyone else who doesn't know)...

1) Never uninstall the System Menu.

2) Never uninstall any IOS' or MIOS.

3) Never, ever pull the power or turn off the console when making changes to IOS' or System Menu.

4) Don't play around in WAD Manager unless you have an absolute need to.

never EVER do this stuff during a thunderstorm or it's going bite you in the butt real hard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...