Another Memory Stick issue....

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Arm73, May 21, 2011.

1. Arm73
    OP

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I'm so fed up with all this fake Memory stick business .......So sick and tired.
    It's my fault I guess, but I can't help blaming Sony for choosing a different format when they could have put an SD slot in their PSPs....

Anyway, I got myself what I thought was a good deal.
    A SanDisk 8GB Ultra II Memory Stick PRO Duo off Amazon for a very reasonable price.
    First time I mount it, I get a corrupted data reading.
    I format it ( trough the PSP ) and I manage to read it.
    I check on the memory stick menu and it tells me MG supported. Good.
    I proceed to transfer some games, one at the time, and after 3 - 4 games I get an unreadable memory stick again.
    I reformat, transfer 4 -5 games all at once. The card has been working for a week or so but then......
    All of the sudden I start loosing SAVE files !
    Keep making them, but then , after unlocking SOTN on DraculaX, I loose everything again !
    I wanted to smash the PSP and everything in it all over the place, however, instead.....
    I returned the shitty Memory Stick to Amazon, and I checked for alternatives.
    Like original Sony memory sticks. All relatively more expensive then lexar and sandisks. Almost bought one but then I got wind that A LOT of the supposed Sony MS are merely fakes, and that it was nearly impossible to tell which store had wich.....Soooo.........

I went to the official Sony store on Madison Avenue and ask them if they carried original Sony memory sticks....but before I finished the sentence I thought myself " Shit, of course they should, it's the official, original Sony store here ! "...
    So I asked a sales girl about an 8GB Memory stick pro duo. She ran upstairs ( in the basement there is a huge section with lots of PSPs and PS3s on display with lots of playing games , very very nice space ) and she came back with a question: "I've got here an 8GB for $44 , but also a 16GB for just a few bucks more (around $49 ) which one would you like ? ".
    I went for the 16GB of course, even though I've read somewhere that larger sticks could have some problems while loading games, but on the other hand I though an original Sony MS should perform reasonably well.

I went home , put all of my games plus a couple of emulators on it and never looked back.
    I still have around 3GB free space , everything looks great and for the third time, I unlocked SOTN on Castlevania !

The moral is, when it comes to pick up a memory stick , stick to the original product and get it in a good store if you can.
    It ain't worth saving a few bucks online.