Hacking Another Emulated NAND thread

MrWindblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear I've searched and searched for this problem and I've never seen anyone else with it, so here goes:

Using a White Wii 4.3u
USB Loader GX v3.0 (Rev 21008)
d2x v8 final base37

I have a 500 GB Seagate Backup Plus, formatted into two partitions:
100 GB Partition - NAND (Fat32 32k cluster)
400 GB Partition - NTFS

Formatted using EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition

I used the USB Loader application's built-in NAND dump method, and attempted to load Mario Kart 64, which was loaded onto my real NAND using the Nintendo Shop Channel, from where I purchased the game.

I select the Emunand channel option in category view (so that it only shows channels installed on my emunand), ensured that all related paths were correct (USB1:\nand\ for both Emu Save and Emu Channel), enabled Full emulation for both channels and saves, and choose to load Mario Kart 64.

The game loads just fine, so I remove it from my real NAND, using the Wii System Menu, not using any homebrew managers or anything of the sort.

Go back to USB Loader GX, attempt to load Mario Kart 64 (from the EmuNAND, as it no longer shows up on Real Nand channels), and after clicking to load Mario Kart 64, the system reboots the USB Loader GX software (or Wii System Menu, if that's selected to return to).

I can't figure out why the loader is targeting my real nand when I select EmuNAND channels in the loader, but it is this way for all channels and games.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you remove it from your real NAND if it was working fine? Do you somehow have another copy of MK 64 that you want to load through your hard drive instead of as a channel?

The loader is supposed to target your real memory. Your USB device becomes a part of the real memory when you plug it in. Why don't you just keep it as a Wii Shop Channel download instead of this weird... stuff...

MrWindblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running out of room on the Wii's NAND, so I figured I could save a lot of room by moving the channels, and it also makes the whole thing more portable. If I can get everything on the HDD, I can dupe the whole thing so my wife can have one for her Wii, and I can have one for mine.

I don't want to have to purchase 2 of everything just so that my games will work on my two consoles that are less than 10 feet away from each other.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah. Hmm, I think, well, you could try putting everything on the SD card, plugging it into your computer, and copying the files to the USB device. I didn't try this with my virtual channels, but I know it works with regular games. You might try putting a "private" folder in the USB root too just in case.

MrWindblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the files installed to the emulated NAND, they appear when i examine the NAND in showmiiwads. The problem seems to be that the loader is ignoring the emunand and is instead looking only at the real NAND. The loader shows all of the channels and content that i have on the emulated NAND, but nothing will load from it.

MrWindblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I've updated to r1217 (and confirmed the revision on the credits screen, as I didn't think dragging and dropping the boot.dol could possibly be so easy) and everything looks good. Got some new options on the options screen, paths are all still set up...
However, still no dice. So I go and check out my other USB loader (CFG USB Loader) and it does the exact same thing. However, CFG gives me an actual error message, which says "CFG cannot find boot.dol!"
Something's clearly wrong with my NAND backup. The channel (which I'm going to assume is a forwarder) for Mario Kart is present and operational, but none of the game's files are, so when the forwarder looks for my game, it can't find it.
I opened back up ShowMiiWads to make sure that the game was present, and Mario Kart 64 consumes ~120 blocks on a real NAND, and Mario Kart 64 takes up the correct number of blocks on my EmuNand. The content exists.

I tried packing Cave Story as a wad from my wife's Wii, and used USB Loader GX to install it to my Emu-Nand using the included method. It claims to have successfully installed, and the channel shows up, but then it also cannot load.

I can't figure out what I don't have configured properly. Something to do with custom path support? Should my NAND not be in a folder called "nand"? Am I missing some software or a plugin? The entire point of the emunand is not having to have this stuff installed on the real nand, and it kinda sucks that it doesn't work.

I'm pretty stumped.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If the NAND doesn't work with other loaders it means the problem is your NAND dump.
maybe something went wrong when you created it, or when installing a file to it. Maybe you used USBLoaderGX to add a Wad ?
the internal Wad installer menu had a bug from revision 1203 to 1210 (bug fixed in r1211) which didn't extract the files correctly and could corrupts the NAND.
Or maybe you installed a corrupted WAD with ShowMiiWads.

I recommend to dump your NAND again.
if you have enough space on your SD, you can keep the current dump in another folder, in case you want to merge your deleted game to the new dump.
(rename nand1, dump nand2, extract deleted game from nand1 (the one you deleted from your real nand), install it back to nand2. Of course, hoping it doesn't contains the corrupted files)

In USBGX:
- Select a path for your NAND ( /nand/ or /nand/01/ and /nand/02/ if you want to number them), in both path (NAND path and NAND Channel path)
- Features > dump NAND > full
without installing anything, try to launch one of the channel from emuNAND to see if untouched dump works fine.

- then install Wads with either USBGX or ShowMiiWads.

Also, one things : it seems drives with 4k/sector are not working with EmuNAND. if you bought it recently it could be the problem.

MrWindblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, a couple of weird things happened. When I redumped the NAND, it still included forwarders for Cave Story and Mario Kart. These games are NOT on my real NAND. I figured that the problem was in caching, so I deleted the titles cache and the bnr cache, deleted the new NAND, and redumped it again.

No luck, deleted games still showed up.

I think that there may be something wrong with my softmod, so I plan to clear everything and try it again, but...

I'm afraid that my Wii has become sentient.

(I checked the Sector size and I'm at 512 bytes/sector, so I'm good there.)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it could be because you still have the Title's ticket on real NAND (if you use the official Channel manager to delete, it keeps a ticket to download it again for free), but you shouldn't have the banner anymore on your real NAND.
If you deleted the bnr cached, the loader shouldn't find any banner.

The cIOS shouldn't matter when dumping the NAND, it only copy the files from NAND to SD. (and sometime rename them if there are incompatible FAT characters)

MrWindblade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh! I didn't know that!

Alright, well... in that case... everything seemed to work just fine when I redumped it. Of course, I still couldn't install anything to it. I think things were actually running from it. That's progress.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought