Hacking Another Banner Brick - Help

Dannckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, I'm kind of a noob, but not the type who does stuff he doesn't know.
Thing is, I tried using the latest version of PimpMyWii to "fix problems" and update stuff on my girlfriend's japanese softmodded Wii, since it had last been updated in 2009. It is 4.1U and I think it's using cIOS250.

I let the program finish the work and then I returned to System Menu - to be welcomed with the classic black screen and Corrupted File Message, also known as Banner Brick. I have BootMii installed as boot2 so I have access to homebrew channel, fortunately.

I have been reading a lot in the internet for some hours, and I understood that it might be some wad which has been badly installed. People say you should uninstall the malfunctioning wad and everything will be sugar 'n honey again. But I don't have the faintest idea of what I should uninstall, since PimpMyWii did all the work for me.

Does someone have any advice for me? I do have AnyTitleDeleter, but don't know what I should delete. Should I try some different homebrew, like WiiMod? Is there any way I can recover my System Menu? Should I stop using PimpMyWii? You need some more information?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm kind of a noob, but not the type who does stuff he doesn't know.
Thing is, I tried using the latest version of PimpMyWii to "fix problems" and update stuff on my girlfriend's japanese softmodded Wii, since it had last been updated in 2009. It is 4.1U and I think it's using cIOS250.

I let the program finish the work and then I returned to System Menu - to be welcomed with the classic black screen and Corrupted File Message, also known as Banner Brick. I have BootMii installed as boot2 so I have access to homebrew channel, fortunately.

I have been reading a lot in the internet for some hours, and I understood that it might be some wad which has been badly installed. People say you should uninstall the malfunctioning wad and everything will be sugar 'n honey again. But I don't have the faintest idea of what I should uninstall, since PimpMyWii did all the work for me.

Does someone have any advice for me? I do have AnyTitleDeleter, but don't know what I should delete. Should I try some different homebrew, like WiiMod? Is there any way I can recover my System Menu? Should I stop using PimpMyWii? You need some more information?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like it's totally fucked by layering mods over mods over mods. You can use ModMii to download all of the original unmodified IOS files as if they would have come from Nintendo, and then install them. One of them probably got screwed up.

For future reference, you don't need tons of crazy shit done to your Wii to hack it anymore. Basically all you need is the Homebrew Channel installer, and the d2x cIOS. That'll let you do pretty much everything. No need to use those huge, weird sounding packs that are doing God knows what to your Wii.

Dannckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sounds like it's totally fucked by layering mods over mods over mods. You can use ModMii to download all of the original unmodified IOS files as if they would have come from Nintendo, and then install them. One of them probably got screwed up.

For future reference, you don't need tons of crazy shit done to your Wii to hack it anymore. Basically all you need is the Homebrew Channel installer, and the d2x cIOS. That'll let you do pretty much everything. No need to use those huge, weird sounding packs that are doing God knows what to your Wii.

Thanks, I've been checking around the forums, and I found out - too late - that using PimpMyWii is not the best of ideas. I'm really sorry. I thought I was updating the files and making the Wii better overall.

If I do what you are telling me to, is there anything I should know? I'll have to install IOS files again later? If that doesn't work, is there any other option, like reinstalling my wii system menu?

I'll look for a noob-friendly tutorial now, thanks a lot.

Dannckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I finally fixed it. Since the Wii was softmodded a long time ago, it seems PreLoader 0.29 was installed and it caused the brick when I ran PimpMyWii, which changed some IOS files (I really don't understand how all this works too well). I reinstalled Preloader and it fixed the brick. Unfortunately now I have problems with some IOS, I can't block IOS reload, some games aren't working, and I'm too afraid to play with IOS again. I've made a NAND backup this time, so I think I'll be fine.

Dannckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
IIRC Priiloader is the most updated version, and that's something ModMii gives you as well.

That I know, but can I just install Priiloader over Preloader? Do I need to follow any steps to remove/uninstall Preloader first? I'm afraid to screw it up again. Thanks!

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That I know, but can I just install Priiloader over Preloader? Do I need to follow any steps to remove/uninstall Preloader first? I'm afraid to screw it up again. Thanks!

If you want to return your Wii to stock and start over (seems like a good idea for you) and IF you can read and follow instructions well, you can use a program called ohneschwanzenegger created by someone here at the site. What this tool does is create a new, completely unmodified NAND image for your console that you can then flash back to you Wii to return everything to pristine condition without any hacks at all. DISCLAIMER - I have never used that tool before, so I can't vouch for it. However, if I was in your situation it is the tool I would go to.

After you do that, fully update your Wii to 4.3 or whatever the Japanese equivalent is. Many on the forum advise against doing that as it blocks some hacks, but to me it means you won't accidentally update and screw up your Wii in the future as that was/is the last update Nintendo released.

After that install the Homebrew Channel, BootMii (both in the same installer, I believe), priiloader, and the d2x cIOS. Then you're done. Just load your apps on the SD card and go from there.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't make a new nand image for it, there's no reason.

Yes, priiloader v0.8 (newest) can be installed over preloader.

You still have access to the hbc, correct? Your system menu does boot now? What system menu are you running, if that's the case?

Also, correct, using PimpMyWii is never a good idea. We have a strong tendency to call it BrickMyWii for this very reason. It is suggested that you just use ModMii, a Windows computer program, do download everything you need and create a guide tailored specifically for your Wii. It is a fairly straight forward program (just tell it that your Wii is virgin, even though it isnt) and if desired, have it update to 4.1 or 4.3. If you have any questions about it I can try to help you out. That program should set you right back up though, it just takes a slight bit more user interaction than BrickMyWii.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If you want to return your Wii to stock and start over (seems like a good idea for you) and IF you can read and follow instructions well, you can use a program called ohneschwanzenegger created by someone here at the site. What this tool does is create a new, completely unmodified NAND image for your console that you can then flash back to you Wii to return everything to pristine condition without any hacks at all. DISCLAIMER - I have never used that tool before, so I can't vouch for it. However, if I was in your situation it is the tool I would go to.

After you do that, fully update your Wii to 4.3 or whatever the Japanese equivalent is. Many on the forum advise against doing that as it blocks some hacks, but to me it means you won't accidentally update and screw up your Wii in the future as that was/is the last update Nintendo released.

After that install the Homebrew Channel, BootMii (both in the same installer, I believe), priiloader, and the d2x cIOS. Then you're done. Just load your apps on the SD card and go from there.

I've used it three times, and my non boot2 bugged wii, was clean, like a computer OS reinstall.

The fourth time, the Wii got bricked beyond repair, and I did the very same steps..

I now have another Wii, but the lesson is:

Don't do it unless you know what you're doing, extremely well. Or the doorsteep will be your wii from now on.

Dannckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't make a new nand image for it, there's no reason.

Yes, priiloader v0.8 (newest) can be installed over preloader.

You still have access to the hbc, correct? Your system menu does boot now? What system menu are you running, if that's the case?

Also, correct, using PimpMyWii is never a good idea. We have a strong tendency to call it BrickMyWii for this very reason. It is suggested that you just use ModMii, a Windows computer program, do download everything you need and create a guide tailored specifically for your Wii. It is a fairly straight forward program (just tell it that your Wii is virgin, even though it isnt) and if desired, have it update to 4.1 or 4.3. If you have any questions about it I can try to help you out. That program should set you right back up though, it just takes a slight bit more user interaction than BrickMyWii.

Thanks for the informations, guys. It seems the problem was that PimpMyWii updated IOS60, which is the System Menu IOS for 4.1, and it corrupted some files due to the old Preloader installed. I have BootMii to boot2 and I was able to reinstall the same version of Preloader, thus fixing the brick. Now I can access the System Menu normally. I have made a new NAND backup, since I didn't have one, but now some games (PAL games, I suppose) are not working properly, and NeoGamma shows some different messages ("unable to block IOS reload", stuff like that. I sincerely don't know what that means, but I'm getting black and white games that played normally before). I suspect some IOS got messed up after all this.

I'll install Priiloader0.8 over Preloader, then.
Is it ok if I simply use cIOS d2x to reinstall the right IOS, or would that worsen the problem?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would strongly consider just following the custom tailored, step by step guide that ModMii will produce for you, the program can be found here - http://modmii.zzl.org/

That will, literally, handle downloading and patching and IOSes and cIOSes you need, install a clean SM for you and set you up with the most recent Priiloader, as well as up to date revisions of some of the more popular USB loaders and other general homebrew.

Dannckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would strongly consider just following the custom tailored, step by step guide that ModMii will produce for you, the program can be found here - http://modmii.zzl.org/

That will, literally, handle downloading and patching and IOSes and cIOSes you need, install a clean SM for you and set you up with the most recent Priiloader, as well as up to date revisions of some of the more popular USB loaders and other general homebrew.

Thanks, I'll do that! Is it better to tell my Wii is virgin even if it isn't, you said?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. If you tell it that your Wii is virgin, it will assume that you are starting from scratch, so it will download ANY AND ALL IOS and cIOS files needed to make your Wii as homebrew/backup compatible as possible.

If you tell it that you are already modded, then it's going to skip a few steps and some files.

It may take you a few extra minutes by telling ModMii that your Wii is virgin, but the end result will be far more reliable.

Also, you do not need to worry about uninstalling any current mods, cIOSes, etc. Anything that ModMii tells you to do will have you overwrite any existing files that need to be replaced.

Edit - also, fur curiosity's sake, what System Menu are you currently on?

Edit 2 - reread your reply from two posts ago, I assume you're on SM4.1. At which point, tell ModMii that you are on 4.1 and wish to update to 4.3.

Dannckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Correct. If you tell it that your Wii is virgin, it will assume that you are starting from scratch, so it will download ANY AND ALL IOS and cIOS files needed to make your Wii as homebrew/backup compatible as possible.

If you tell it that you are already modded, then it's going to skip a few steps and some files.

It may take you a few extra minutes by telling ModMii that your Wii is virgin, but the end result will be far more reliable.

Also, you do not need to worry about uninstalling any current mods, cIOSes, etc. Anything that ModMii tells you to do will have you overwrite any existing files that need to be replaced.

Edit - also, fur curiosity's sake, what System Menu are you currently on?

Edit 2 - reread your reply from two posts ago, I assume you're on SM4.1. At which point, tell ModMii that you are on 4.1 and wish to update to 4.3.

Yes, Iam on 4.1U in a japanese Wii. Really, updating to 4.3 is better?
I'm only afraid to brick my Wii again due to the Preloader corruption if I change my SM IOS. I should install Priiloader first, right?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I (and some others here) say to move to 4.3 because if anything got messed up from preloader (or PimpMyWii) that you didn't notice and doesn't impact the operational status of the Wii (both of which are unlikely if it turns on and runs fine), updating to 4.3 will give you a whole new SM installation free from any modifications (until you install priiloader, that is).

4.3 runs on IOS80, while as you noted, 4.1 runs on 60. If you wanted to be double safe, before progressing with any of the ModMii steps, you could download a clean wad of IOS60, IOS70, and IOS80 off of ModMii (respective SM IOS for SM 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3), then either download a new wad (still from ModMii) of SM 4.1U or 4.3U and install that. You will have all of your bases covered as far as current SM IOS slots go, and then the choice is yours - 4.1 retains BannerBomb functionality, whereas 4.3 removes it, yet the new exploits LetterBomb/Wilbrand Launcher have replaced BannerBomb, as long as your Wii has connected to the internet at least once. Functionally, however, SM 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 are the same.

Since your current setup does run fine, I would hold off from installing priiloader just yet.

But in reality, especially since you have bootmii@boot2 and you just made a NAND backup, you will be fine just progressing with ModMii's steps.

Edit - so to cut a long story short:

SM 4.1 and 4.3 are functionally the same, except for which exploits work.

If your Wii has never connected to the internet and you are unable to do so, stay on 4.1. Just download and install a new IOS60 and SM 4.1 off of ModMii before continuing if you are paranoid about anything going wrong, though the likelihood of anything going wrong is slim to none.

If your Wii has connected to the internet at least once, you can update to 4.3 (should you desire) without any issues, and just follow the ModMii instructions to a T.

Reactions: Dannckles

Dannckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I (and some others here) say to move to 4.3 because if anything got messed up from preloader (or PimpMyWii) that you didn't notice and doesn't impact the operational status of the Wii (both of which are unlikely if it turns on and runs fine), updating to 4.3 will give you a whole new SM installation free from any modifications (until you install priiloader, that is).

4.3 runs on IOS80, while as you noted, 4.1 runs on 60. If you wanted to be double safe, before progressing with any of the ModMii steps, you could download a clean wad of IOS60, IOS70, and IOS80 off of ModMii (respective SM IOS for SM 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3), then either download a new wad (still from ModMii) of SM 4.1U or 4.3U and install that. You will have all of your bases covered as far as current SM IOS slots go, and then the choice is yours - 4.1 retains BannerBomb functionality, whereas 4.3 removes it, yet the new exploits LetterBomb/Wilbrand Launcher have replaced BannerBomb, as long as your Wii has connected to the internet at least once. Functionally, however, SM 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 are the same.

Since your current setup does run fine, I would hold off from installing priiloader just yet.

But in reality, especially since you have bootmii@boot2 and you just made a NAND backup, you will be fine just progressing with ModMii's steps.

Edit - so to cut a long story short:

SM 4.1 and 4.3 are functionally the same, except for which exploits work.

If your Wii has never connected to the internet and you are unable to do so, stay on 4.1. Just download and install a new IOS60 and SM 4.1 off of ModMii before continuing if you are paranoid about anything going wrong, though the likelihood of anything going wrong is slim to none.

If your Wii has connected to the internet at least once, you can update to 4.3 (should you desire) without any issues, and just follow the ModMii instructions to a T.

I've done it with ModMii =)
Everything seems alright now.
I'm still getting Reload IOS block error on Neogamma, but that must be something else. With Priiloader instead of Preloader I guess I'll be safe for now on.

Thanks so much for your help, much appreciated!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That message is actually good if memory serves me correctly. You have it loaded with cIOS d2x v8 (or whatever the latest is) right? I know I am not explaining this as correctly as it should be, but when some games load, they go to re-load a different IOS. If it loads a different IOS (the one it wants), the game wills top running because the backed up game is no longer running on the cIOS but instead a genuine, unmodified IOS. When neogamma and USB loaders block the IOS reload, it's essentially forcing it to stay on cIOS 249 (or whatever the loaded IOS of choice is) so the backed up game continues to run.

As long as the game runs, then that's nothing to worry about.

for priiloader, you got your hacks_hash.ini file loaded, right?

Glad you got it working, mate. Cheers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool