ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

Reckitech

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have a question on this subject ...

How I can change the image of the title screen?

(The wooden background or letters Animal Crossing New Leaf)

So far I could only edit the 'Welcome to' in the 'opng_title.arc' file

In that file there is a sheet, the edited but never appeared in the game, so I do not think this reacionado with the title

How did you export these files in the .arc file? I've tried a lot of methods but can't figure out how to edit them.

Roxerism

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like I'm gonna be out of ACNL ROM Hacking for quite some time
My Hacked 3DS' SD Card slot decided to break and not lock SD Cards
My N3DS XL is on 11.0.0-33U so I can't really hack it without hardmodding (lets not tinker with a 200 dollar toy)
Hope yall figure out how to make custom models xoxo

Reactions: deishido

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I'm gonna be out of ACNL ROM Hacking for quite some time
My Hacked 3DS' SD Card slot decided to break and not lock SD Cards
My N3DS XL is on 11.0.0-33U so I can't really hack it without hardmodding (lets not tinker with a 200 dollar toy)
Hope yall figure out how to make custom models xoxo

Thats a shame; I'm still testing with the SDK, but there are basically no instructions or info for making things work. Theres still a chance we might have a breakthrough while you're gone, so we hope to see you back by then!

Roxerism

Trophies
XP
Country
Thats a shame; I'm still testing with the SDK, but there are basically no instructions or info for making things work. Theres still a chance we might have a breakthrough while you're gone, so we hope to see you back by then!
the 3ds I was using is still functional for doing this, what was the process of importing the wolf head that went invisible?

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 3ds I was using is still functional for doing this, what was the process of importing the wolf head that went invisible?

I exported a wolf villager using Ohana and edited the model to be just the head. (Its been a while, obj I think was the only supported model type) Imported it over a player head model to be sure the sizes and orientation matched up then exported it using the nw4a Maya plug in. From there, there are a variety of options, including mapping graphics and exporting to a variety of different formats, Making sure downsized were exactly the same, etc. I was unable to get any of them to show up as anything other than invisible. Interestingly, using just the wolf villager's completely unedited votes file resulted in a crash, as did literally any other official animal crossing bcres file. I'm not sure what's different, but I have noted that my edited files show up normally in programs that official votes files show up incorrectly. Old Ohana, efe, etc. I'm sure I'm missing something important, but I don't know enough about 3d modeling to know what it is. What I do know is that its not the model itself as exporting and reimporting the player head file yielded the same results. There seems to be either a specific encryption method or an additional part of the file that needs to be included. Sorry I don't have more useful information, but hopefully this is helpful to someone as I'm unable to commit the time to researching 3D models right now.

Edit: I realize you may have simply meant importing the model into the game. I used ntr's layered_fs function. I wrote a tutorial a few posts back. You could also go through the process of creating a hans patch or an entire new cia file, but that's excessive given the capabilities of NTR layered_fs

Last edited by deishido,

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Hey everyone, sorry for posting twice in a row, but I've got some info for everyone!)

I'm noticing a LOT of changes and additional files so a lot of things need to be adjusted to work. I've created a new layeredfs.plg file and I'm testing everything right now. I'm having mixed results with the plugin, but this should get everyone off to a start. The LayeredFS file is time consuming and tedious to make, so I'll share mine with whoever want it. To get started with it, just unzip it to the root of your card and run NTR. (You wont see changes until you add edited files, of course)

LayeredFS files are legal to share, as they don't contain any ROM data so here's a link to mine and my research notes. I hope it'll be useful to everyone!

Edit: I realize I've made a mistake. Give me a minute to fix it
Edit2: File re-uploaded. Please download this one instead.

Attachments

• UpdatedlayeredfsACNL.rar
    6.1 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by deishido,
Reactions: Noroxus

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
(Hey everyone, sorry for posting twice in a row, but I've got some info for everyone!)

I'm noticing a LOT of changes and additional files so a lot of things need to be adjusted to work. I've created a new layeredfs.plg file and I'm testing everything right now. I'm having mixed results with the plugin, but this should get everyone off to a start. The LayeredFS file is time consuming and tedious to make, so I'll share mine with whoever want it. To get started with it, just unzip it to the root of your card and run NTR. (You wont see changes until you add edited files, of course)

LayeredFS files are legal to share, as they don't contain any ROM data so here's a link to mine and my research notes. I hope it'll be useful to everyone!

Edit: I realize I've made a mistake. Give me a minute to fix it
Edit2: File re-uploaded. Please download this one instead.

Which region is this? EU/NA?

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which region is this? EU/NA?

Oh, sorry! Its NA, I didn't even think about the updated being unique to each region. I'm not getting the layeredfs show changes but it does seem to be loading into NTR fine even on o3DS, so I think I may have done something wrong in making it. (I'll test on n3ds later tonight just to be sure that's not the problem) all problems aside, the text file linked in there has info that will be useful to everyone who doesn't want to deal with the hassle of dumping and decrypting the update.

I feel like the issues come from this being an exefs update. When the retail version drops I'll probably buy it to see if its all one set of files inside or if its two (for the game and one for the update) if its all on one it should be as easy as running dumping it and rebuilding it from there.

Last edited by deishido, , Reason: A word

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, sorry! Its NA, I didn't even think about the updated being unique to each region. I'm not getting the layeredfs show changes but it does seem to be loading into NTR fine even on o3DS, so I think I may have done something wrong in making it. (I'll test on n3ds later tonight just to be sure that's not the problem) all problems aside, the text file linked in there has info that will be useful to everyone who doesn't want to deal with the hassle of dumping and decrypting the update.

I feel like the issues come from this being an exefs update. When the retail version drops I'll probably buy it to see if its all one set of files inside or if its two (for the game and one for the update) if its all on one it should be as easy as running dumping it and rebuilding it from there.
Yeah I was using a layeredfs plugin to simply replace the hourly music but the exeFS is completely changed and the game just crashes after boot.
Kinda interesting how they are using .cro files in the new update

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I was using a layeredfs plugin to simply replace the hourly music but the exeFS is completely changed and the game just crashes after boot.
Kinda interesting how they are using .cro files in the new update

Yeah, I noticed. I'm completely unfamiliar with the format though; Is it widely used in other games or is it something new?

(Also, I can confirm the layeredfs.plg fails on n3ds too in case anyone was hopeful)

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QQ; If I extract the romfs from (decrypt) the rom, will the update data be included, or will I have to extract the update seperately?

I believe the update is kept separate, so if you're wanting both you'd have to dump both. Or just the vanilla rom, the update has been pre-dumped and isn't too hard to find with the help of a file I linked a few posts above. As for the data being together or seperate, I've redumped the exefs.bin from the (post-patch) game and noted that it was unchanged. (And a new layeredfs made from it doesn't work at all) I didn't dump the romfs, but I can assume this game works the same as updates for other games as the exefs, and thus the code.bin, are loaded from the update's files (kept separate) I imagine the retail version in december may have the update pre-installed and could give us better insight.

rescribe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the update is kept separate, so if you're wanting both you'd have to dump both. Or just the vanilla rom, the update has been pre-dumped and isn't too hard to find with the help of a file I linked a few posts above. As for the data being together or seperate, I've redumped the exefs.bin from the (post-patch) game and noted that it was unchanged. (And a new layeredfs made from it doesn't work at all) I didn't dump the romfs, but I can assume this game works the same as updates for other games as the exefs, and thus the code.bin, are loaded from the update's files (kept separate) I imagine the retail version in december may have the update pre-installed and could give us better insight.
I see, thank you for the information , if I find out anything new ill be sure to report back here.

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, I noticed. I'm completely unfamiliar with the format though; Is it widely used in other games or is it something new?
(Also, I can confirm the layeredfs.plg fails on n3ds too in case anyone was hopeful)
.cro was mostly used in Pokemon games.
I hope they didnt change up the exeFS structure in order to break NTR....
Someone with more knowledge should probably look into this I suppose

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.cro was mostly used in Pokemon games.
I hope they didnt change up the exeFS structure in order to break NTR....
Someone with more knowledge should probably look into this I suppose

They definitely broke something, but I think I've fixed at least some of it. I've gotten edits to work with the NTR LayeredFS plugin. Notably the plugin from my earlier post will work, because the plugin wasn't the problem.

Heres what I did to get it to work:
I dumped the cias of both the game and the 1.4 update and decrypted them via Decrypt9.
I unpacked both sets of romfs folders and combined them, overwriting the old with the new.
I unpacked the exefs folders and replaced the code.bin of the original game with the .code.bin of the update. (Renaming it to remove that off first period)
I repacked all of the files into a new cia.
Uninstalled the old game, reinstalled the new one I made.
Kept the 1.4 update on the system, uninstalling it resulted in the game not loading. (As expected)
I progressed far enough to reinject my old save file and immediately noticed the plugin was working, albeit partially.

I'm not sure if all of those steps were necessary, But it worked well enough to say it was successful. My theory is that the old layeredFS couldn't access the old game after the update, likely because of changes to the game code. Updating the layered to fit the new code.bin got it to load the game, but locked it out of the games files somehow. I believe that linking the code.bin to the full set of files allowed the plugin to work again. Unfortunately my knowledge of the subject is very, very simple and this is probably all wrong. But I'm just very glad to see my villagers back in the right bodies, even if their names are wrong. I'm sure simply using hans would have worked just as well (probably better) but the convenience of NTR makes me regret not using it sooner, and I'm very happy with these results. I hope that they will lead to a much easier solution.

Marth_x3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, I have a little problem:

Yesterday I updated my ACNL (v1.5 EU) and after the update, I wanted to start the romfs via. hans. The problem is, that it loads a different save file from what I have, when I start the game normally. And hans loads the previous version of the game without the update.

So what can I do, to load the updated version with my current save file via. hans?

Last edited by Marth_x3,

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a little problem:

Yesterday I updated my ACNL (v1.5 EU) and after the update, I wanted to start the romfs via. hans. The problem is, that it loads a different save file from what I have, when I start the game normally. And hans loads the previous version of the game without the update.

So what can I do, to load the updated version with my current save file via. hans?

Unfortunately, hans simply can't load the update normally, however if you purchase the retail version, the update comes preinstalled and hans will work again. I believe that Jinglefruit wrote up a guide on their tumblr blog not too long ago. i'm on mobile so I can't link you, unfortunately. (For anyone wondering, NTR works with the retail version as well.)

There is a messier and much more complicated method involving combining the update with the rom, but it doesnt have 100% compatability and isn't worth the hassle since nintendo has graciously done that for us.

Happy holidays everyone!

Reactions: RyDog

Marth_x3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jinglefruit said, that there are no way to load the updated version via. hans. I need the preinstalled version of the game :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1