ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

probablygay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New HANS update released by smea, if you create a romfs without removing the first 0x1000 bytes it will now work and this should also make romhacking for AC:NL possible. It did make Professor Layton romhacking possible which had the same issue as AC:NL.

Yes! Nice. Now if we can export and import villager models, I could get started on my overhaul project.

Reactions: Shrinefox

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
As has been reported, the rom hack appears to work now. My Notepad++ changes to script files to replace all instances of "Mayor" with something else, however, has broken the game. Probably because these "script" files have other data I can't read which is important and gets screwed up when the file is modified. lol Isabelle just kept saying " town. Never mind." Over and over after she welcomed me and I couldn't start the game. :P
Use a hex editor instead of notepad++ and it will work. You're on the right track, I've tried that with other games (i.e. Persona 4) which use similar text processing formats. The bytes between words, letters and strings are very important to leave intact and notepad++ doesn't account for them when you save the file.

For instance, there's a [00] byte between every letter and without it the game will probably crash, thinking that you input a character that isn't in the font table.

Reserved

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not home right now so I can't check for it myself, but where is the dialogue stored and what is the file extension for it? Along with that, are emotions that happen during dialogue controlled in the same dialogue file, and inputted into the dialogue's coding itself?

Reactions: ZoNtendo

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
Ooh, I understand how the old ohana3ds works now. I was being dumb and assumed that if I can't open models then I can't read the textures either, but the "open" button between the two tabs does in fact do different things.

Thank you so much for being patient with me, you have indeed been very helpful!

Reserved

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have reported, modifying any of the files results in freezing as soon as the main menu loads.

As a side note, is there anything out there to (properly) edit the UMSBT files found in the script folders? I resorted to using Notepad++ to modify them. There is a lot of jumbled information not readable in NP++, but editing via HxD (or other hex editor) isn't very ideal.
Has any work gone into the UMSBT filetype yet? As @Shrinefox said it doesn't seem too complicated, but I don't have the knowledge to make one myself. I know the Wii used .msbt, so it may be easy to convert similar to how the bcstm/brstm works.

Ar7ific1al

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a hex editor instead of notepad++ and it will work. You're on the right track, I've tried that with other games (i.e. Persona 4) which use similar text processing formats. The bytes between words, letters and strings are very important to leave intact and notepad++ doesn't account for them when you save the file.

For instance, there's a [00] byte between every letter and without it the game will probably crash, thinking that you input a character that isn't in the font table.
Yeah, I know. Trying to figure out how to get past the bytes though. It's super annoying having to deal with the bytes in between characters, plus I can't replace "Mayor" with anything longer.

Has any work gone into the UMSBT filetype yet? As @Shrinefox said it doesn't seem too complicated, but I don't have the knowledge to make one myself. I know the Wii used .msbt, so it may be easy to convert similar to how the bcstm/brstm works.

I haven't got a clue. I haven't ever messed with modifying Nintendo games before, so I'm still figuring out a lot of things myself.

I literally just found this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-msbt-editor.401354/ Perhaps it will be useful. Going to try it out right now and rebuild my ROMFS and test. :D

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I know. Trying to figure out how to get past the bytes though. It's super annoying having to deal with the bytes in between characters, plus I can't replace "Mayor" with anything longer.

I know what you mean, what trips me up is that the 00 bytes aren't actually periods so you can't search and replace that way.

Also, I'm noticing that inserting bytes to make strings longer offsets all the other strings so you end up with garbled text in-game for the rest of the script. It seems that they all have a beginning address hardcoded in a table somewhere (perhaps that's the stuff at the beginning of the umsbt?) If you can figure out where that is and change the values accordingly you should have no problem writing longer lines than usual.

It'd probably be easier to program a simple editor that formats the bytes that way than to do it by hand.

Cilerba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced Victoria the horse with Isabelle so she's a regular villager!
CS7lmTOVAAET8TW.jpg:large
CS7lmTGVAAA2av2.jpg:large

I also added in City Folk's OST. https://twitter.com/cilerbaa/status/661630330919497728/video/1 (Ignore the tweet. I did end up getting the looping to work)

Reserved

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced Victoria the horse with Isabelle so she's a regular villager!
CS7lmTOVAAET8TW.jpg:large
CS7lmTGVAAA2av2.jpg:large

I also added in City Folk's OST. https://twitter.com/cilerbaa/status/661630330919497728/video/1 (Ignore the tweet. I did end up getting the looping to work)
Ooh, that's really cool!

Did you add in the entire City Folk OST, or just a couple songs at the moment? I'm not totally sure, but if City Folk's music files are .brstm, it'd probably only take 30 minutes or so to get the entire soundtrack in New Leaf.

probablygay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear, is there anything that we can do with model editing besides swapping existing models around? I'd love to do up some alternate bridges/fountains/structures etc.

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear, is there anything that we can do with model editing besides swapping existing models around? I'd love to do up some alternate bridges/fountains/structures etc.
Ohana3ds rebirth exports and imports obj/smd files, so you can probably use old ohana3ds alongside it to change the textures since the new one lacks that functionality. It will probably get messy and complicated though, and I'm sure that method has its limitations until ohana3ds rebirth updates.

Omegaa Veigar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hans crashes when I try to load my .romfs
I just edited a texture and a theme, someone knows what im doing wrong?

Attachments

• CS_6INgXIAAO3zm.jpg
    CS_6INgXIAAO3zm.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 370

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you use the romfs rebuilder in the packhack to make the new romfs? That works for me so if you're using something else I'd suggest switching
Also keep in mind if you're using the latest hans you don't need to remove 1000 bytes from the header, if you're not using the latest hans or you're not sure re-download smea's starter

Reactions: Omegaa Veigar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?