Android Android device administrator activtivation

pmk010

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A friend of mine has email connected through his Android phone. The server uses outlook exchange. The people running the server want administartion control over his phone if he wants email to come to his phone. They want control over everything from the wallpaper and camera to his password and ability to wipe the device. Anyone know how to get aroung this and keep his email?

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant he just use his email like normal with a password he already set, and use the email somewhere else without even bothering to tell whoever wants to control his phone?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Who are these people that want the control? Are they a random server company? In which case: HELL NO! Are they his bosses trying to make sure the device is secure? Then maybe but ask them if it is really necessary given how much access this gives them to his phone, his contacts, etc.

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
re-reading the OP, they wont let him get ANY email unless they get control? FUCK THAT. tell him to get a different email from another place.

pmk010

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It is his school email. And his personal phone. The school wants control of his phone, they run the server. Dont know what the school wants to keep secure?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Systems administrator here. We do that because that's part of ActiveSync, a protocol that allows simple synchronization of your email to mobile devices. It's just a security measure, and the main reason we would enforce such a thing is so if your phone gets stolen we can get rid of any sensitive information on it. We would never wipe your phone without your consent. ActiveSync also allows us to enforce it so you have to put a password/PIN on your phone, further enhancing the security.

In short, it's just a security measure. Don't worry about it.

However, there is one email app that might allow you to bypass this. Look up K-9 Mail. Don't come crawling to me to learn how to set it up though.

Reactions: 2 people

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It is his school email. And his personal phone. The school wants control of his phone, they run the server. Dont know what the school wants to keep secure?
Its a blanket thing run by most councils. If it goes through the council's server it is deemed "confidential mail" so that they have a standard system for all mail, even student e-mail. I remember any and all mail I sent from my old school e-mail had a council statement at the bottom about confidentiality.
Why the hell does he want his school e-mail on his phone anyway? I remember school e-mail for me in Secondary School, never got anything worthwhile through it.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its a blanket thing run by most councils. If it goes through the council's server it is deemed "confidential mail" so that they have a standard system for all mail, even student e-mail. I remember any and all mail I sent from my old school e-mail had a council statement at the bottom about confidentiality.
Why the hell does he want his school e-mail on his phone anyway? I remember school e-mail for me in Secondary School, never got anything worthwhile through it.

To be honest, OP would be best off just checking it through OWA from time to time. I'm sure his school has a web frontend for checking email.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1