Hacking "An error has occurred" when launching ANY game.

charlocharlie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just homebrewed my Wii that I case modded and when launching any title (Wii, GC, VC), I get an error along the lines of:
An error has occurred.​
Press the Eject Button, remove the Game Disc, and turn off the power to the console.​
Please read the Wii Operations Manual for further instructions.​
The exact message varies for each type of game. The games I am loading have been from USB hard drive, SD card, and a WAD stored on the NAND. I know the game files work because they worked on my other softmodded Wii.

I need to know if this is a software issue (related to IOS or something) or if my graphics chip is dead or something. The Wii menu, Hombrew Channel, and homebrew apps, all work correctly, but when booting games I get a black screen for a few seconds and then this error.

I used this guide to start, and after I got the error, I tried out the ModMii guide.

charlocharlie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you run any original games from disc?

I don't know if you saw the image I subtly linked above, but...
25jSiPy.jpg

Anyway, the Wii gets the error running Virtual Console games which don't even utilize the disc drive. My other Wii has a defective disc drive (though I didn't remove it) and it can play all games perfectly fine.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So in other words you hacked at your wii with a hacksaw and then glued some clear plastic to it??

Anyway to get on with your problem.... Have you tried running syscheck on your wii? If not then you should do so and then run the syscheck.csv that it puts on your sd card. Then give that file to ModMii on your pc and see if it tells you, theres anything you need to update your softmod.

charlocharlie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to be rude but.....
That's not a casemod, it's a massacre ._.

I don't know much about the Wii but isn't a disc drive required to run any form of games?

You don't need a disc drive for anything. My primary Wii that I use has a defective disc drive. I have never used it and I never will need to thanks to the magic of softmodding.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah it's a lame mod but it was easy and with the disc LEDs on it looks cool.

ModMii says everything is up to date from my SysCheck file. Here it is if you want to check out the IOS stuff: http://pastebin.com/X05ah0tN.

Thanks for the help.

Hmm yep everything looks good there to me, your syscheck looks just like mine does.

All i can suggest is to maybe rehack the wii from scratch using modmii.. or even do a system format from the wii system menu and then rehack using modmii... Bear in mind that if you do format then you will lose all your savegames, channels etc that are installed on your wis nand

Reactions: charlocharlie

charlocharlie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is too bad. I did a system format and went through the entire process again with ModMii, but after installing Smash 64, it still gets an error running the game.

Unless I'm missing something, it's probably a hardware issue. If anyone still has anything that would help, I'm up for trying it.

Thanks everyone.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
You need at least the control board from the drive to be connected.
All games still access the drive and expect something to be returned even though the drive is defective.

charlocharlie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need at least the control board from the drive to be connected.
All games still access the drive and expect something to be returned even though the drive is defective.

Wow that's really interesting. The system hacks in Priiloader don't actually prevent those checks? Like "remove diagnostic disc check".
I think I threw away the disc drive and cables which is unfortunate. But thanks for the info.

ilikegoldengrahams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii has to at least recognize the control board from the drive. I bought one a couple of weeks back with a shoddy drive and removed it entirely with the hope of case modding it in the future to find it won't play ball without the drive board recognition. Priiloader hacks didn't help me either so I had to go through putting the bloody thing back in again :hateit:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: