1. Katcher

OP Katcher Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Now I understand how redundant this may be given that MHXX will be coming westward as Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate in August, however, I do believe an unofficial English translation would be a nice thing to have in the meantime for those who might just stick with XX or want to switch(Haha. Get it? Where's the door?) back and forth between both versions in case certain DLC is region exclusive, etc. Is this even possible to do on Switch at the current time?

Nudu likes this.
  2. shinyrocara98

shinyrocara98 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    Its definitly possible but may take a Lot more time to do than it will take until the official Version comes Out. Plus nobody would so this because its useless. When u want the japanese exklusiver stuff its Just easier to edit the game then and port the quests from XX to GU, this is possible in the 3DS versions of previous Games, so im 100% Sure it will be possible sooner or later on Switch too.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

lordelan likes this.
  3. chirogan

chirogan The Engineer

Philippines
    There are currently no team dedicated or interested in the project at all since the localization will come soon.

Aside from that, translation is not as easy as we think. It cant be done in days especially with the status of translation tools/ methods. By the time this has been fully sorted out, Generations ultimate is already released.

Also, august is not that far away.

4. ownedlol

ownedlol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wouldn't the time needed to translate be significantly shorter given that there's already a 3DS English translation?

5. chirogan

chirogan The Engineer

Philippines
    Like i said, there are no team interested to work in the game as the localization comes in few months. They are still going to do a lot of work porting the translation to the switch.
    The 3ds and switch are nothing alike in any sense. The rom structure are very much different in a lot of ways so we could not just bring something from the 3ds to the switch. The state of hacks and tools are also the hold point in your request. We dont even have proper backup loading at the moment except the one that Xecuter uses in their modchip which is currently unknown at the moment and is limited to physical copy cart roms. Let alone decrypting a rom, determining language and text files and patching it. There are no translating tools and methods and we still dont have any translation projects at all.

In short, translation in general is not possible at the moment. Does that makes sense?

Last edited by chirogan, May 23, 2018
  6. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Colombia
    Translating a game means two things. Decopilar the ROM, modify it and compile it. And load a backup, currently there is no way to load backup copies, to the exception of the Xecuter basofia and its SX

ownedlol likes this.
  7. Proto-Propski

Proto-Propski Legally Weird!

United Kingdom
    I'd certainly love to see this

8. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I doubt anyone will bother, its not a story driven game so it wont even matter if the official translation is 100% faithful. Now if they somehow change the game for the west, maybe we can just take the text from the english version and put it into the Japanese version.

9. Bastani

Bastani Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I'm going to give a swing at it once atmosphere comes out.
    And other than decompiling the game to see the file structure you don't really need to do much else.
    I believe layeredfs was announced to come out with atmosphere.

Assuming the file structure is the same as the 3DS version and layeredfs will work the same way as on the 3DS then it will be as easy as just drag and drop.

Yes MHGU will come out to the west in a few months but so what? I'm not dishing out another $80 for the game and it's not coming out to the 3DS so it's not cross-platform.

Katcher likes this.
  10. Katcher

OP Katcher Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I was meaning more along the lines of the UI elements. Like item names, quest names, monster names, etc. I can understand the NPC dialogue would be a pain in the tits to translate.

11. ukee

ukee GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    Not possible with the current state of Switch's homebrew/cfw.

12. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Colombia
    If possible, if you have an official version of the game installed in the console, it would not be a problem to modify it without altering the signature.

bomigoton likes this.
  13. rayman13579

rayman13579 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I'm working on an English Patch with Layered FS rn. NPC dialogues are already done. But I don't think if I'll be able to finish it as some things are trickier than others to translate.

bomigoton likes this.
  14. bomigoton

bomigoton GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    any update on this?

15. rayman13579

rayman13579 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I haven't worked on it since I ran into problems with Skill and Item translations some months ago, but Quests, Dialogue and Equipment names should be translated.

Zoiskiee and bomigoton like this.
  16. Zoiskiee

Zoiskiee Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Any updates? I neeeeed a patch!!! Can you PM what you have... Please...

17. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    Why you need it when there is official English version available? :? It's 2020, sell Japanese version already and buy English one.

Last edited by masagrator, Mar 27, 2020
  18. Zoiskiee

Zoiskiee Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I am NOT fixing to pay for another copy. I'm 600+ hours in, not gonna restart. I'm just requesting whatever he has made.

Plus I got a digital copy.

19. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Woof

Germany
    Sorry, but if you're 600+ hours in, you really don't need a patch...

20. Zoiskiee

Zoiskiee Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Its a pain distinguishing between all the skills.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - English, Monster, Hunter