Gaming An another overlooked...well, not quite a gem.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When a drought hits and I've teetered out on everything else that's just come out, I zip on over to IGN and just scroll down various lists of DS games until something perhaps catches my eye. One game I never gave a chance -- due mostly to the lackluster reviews it received -- was Battle for New York. Ultimate Spider-man was a really cool game, I thought, so in my boredom I grabbed Battle for New York.

spider-man-battle-for-new-york--20061004062945006_640w.jpg
spider-man-battle-for-new-york--20060923023603494_640w.jpg
spider-man-battle-for-new-york--20060923023607181_640w.jpg

If you've played Ultimate Spidey, this is basically more of the same, being a brawler-type game. If you haven't yet checked out Battle for New York, then it's one to look into, I say. Very slick presentation -- comic-book geeks like me should really dig it -- and the graphics are some of the best 3D I've seen on DS. Speaking of which, the game could perhaps offer an idea of what GTA: Chinatown Wars could possibly look like on the DS, should Rockstar opt to do the cel-shaded thing (which I hope they do).

Anyway, some of the timed challenges can be a bit frustrating, and the boss battles are more tedious than fun, but the rest of the gameplay is otherwise very enjoyable. A lot of that, too, is due to the lightning-fast frame-rate, which makes web slinging with Spidey really fun.

Why am I creating a topic about a game that came out almost two years ago? Well, I do that when I discover a game that seems really good but was paid no attention. So, if you're feeling the summer drought like I am, check it out...before September hits and we're buried knee-keep in other relevant titles.

knipri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
El Salvador
I'm not interested in this game.

I do think it's cool that you made a thread about your discovery though. I felt like telling you that. That's the kind of guy I am.

PanzerWF

Trophies
Website
zetta.l4rge.com
XP
Country
Canada
There was a sequel to Ultimate Spider-Man?

Dude, you've made my day =D

And for those who haven't played it, I think it's a good game regardless of whether you like Spider-Man. I love how it is drawn and how the game is presented. Very solid, and I hope this one lives up to my expectation.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's an endless list of spider-man games on the DS, and theres a another coming pretty soon (web of shadows, I think it was called that) I managed to get around to playing Spider-man:friend or foe and spider-man 3, spiderman 3 was much better in my opinion, making good use of the touch screen and better graphics

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imz said:
...I managed to get around to playing Spider-man:friend or foe and spider-man 3, spiderman 3 was much better in my opinion, making good use of the touch screen and better graphics

Yeah, I agree, but Ultimate Spider-man and Battle for New York kind of fall into their own little category of Spider-man games. And between Spider-man 3 and the other two, I personally prefer the latter. The touch-screen control in Spider-man 3 was a bit awkward for me, though I still had fun with it, and I also think these other two games look and run much better. I actually need to go back to Spider-man 3 too sometime, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: yawn