An another overlooked...well, not quite a gem.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Aug 5, 2008.

Aug 5, 2008
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    When a drought hits and I've teetered out on everything else that's just come out, I zip on over to IGN and just scroll down various lists of DS games until something perhaps catches my eye. One game I never gave a chance -- due mostly to the lackluster reviews it received -- was Battle for New York. Ultimate Spider-man was a really cool game, I thought, so in my boredom I grabbed Battle for New York.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you've played Ultimate Spidey, this is basically more of the same, being a brawler-type game. If you haven't yet checked out Battle for New York, then it's one to look into, I say. Very slick presentation -- comic-book geeks like me should really dig it -- and the graphics are some of the best 3D I've seen on DS. Speaking of which, the game could perhaps offer an idea of what GTA: Chinatown Wars could possibly look like on the DS, should Rockstar opt to do the cel-shaded thing (which I hope they do).

Anyway, some of the timed challenges can be a bit frustrating, and the boss battles are more tedious than fun, but the rest of the gameplay is otherwise very enjoyable. A lot of that, too, is due to the lightning-fast frame-rate, which makes web slinging with Spidey really fun.

Why am I creating a topic about a game that came out almost two years ago? Well, I do that when I discover a game that seems really good but was paid no attention. So, if you're feeling the summer drought like I am, check it out...before September hits and we're buried knee-keep in other relevant titles.

2. knipri

Newcomer knipri Member

Svalbard
    I'm not interested in this game.

I do think it's cool that you made a thread about your discovery though. I felt like telling you that. That's the kind of guy I am.

3. PanzerWF

Member PanzerWF GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    There was a sequel to Ultimate Spider-Man?

Dude, you've made my day =D

And for those who haven't played it, I think it's a good game regardless of whether you like Spider-Man. I love how it is drawn and how the game is presented. Very solid, and I hope this one lives up to my expectation.

4. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    I played all the spidey games for DS, not satisfied by one. If the graphics are gonna be 3D, then the whole fucking game should be 3D!

5. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    There's an endless list of spider-man games on the DS, and theres a another coming pretty soon (web of shadows, I think it was called that) I managed to get around to playing Spider-man:friend or foe and spider-man 3, spiderman 3 was much better in my opinion, making good use of the touch screen and better graphics

6. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yeah, I agree, but Ultimate Spider-man and Battle for New York kind of fall into their own little category of Spider-man games. And between Spider-man 3 and the other two, I personally prefer the latter. The touch-screen control in Spider-man 3 was a bit awkward for me, though I still had fun with it, and I also think these other two games look and run much better. I actually need to go back to Spider-man 3 too sometime, though.