OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AmplituDS v3.1
Antialiasing, boot time halved, etc
%5B1870%5Damplitude.jpg

An update to one of the earlier released homebrew games for DS, a clone of the PS2 game of the same name. For those not familiar, you're basically flying in a space ship along a track, and have to shoot targets to the rhythm of the music. Download and a full list of changes below.

[title:Changes]# Approximately twice as fast start up time.
# Anti-aliasing used for 3D graphics.
# The targets are not missing sections anymore.
# The 'amplituds' folder does not need to be placed in the root of your media card anymore, it is searched for. Meaning you can have it as a subfolder of a "data" folder on your card for example.
# Max-Media Dock users should not have to set their clock to 00:00 anymore (untested).

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Homepage

Whiternoise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Amplitude is based a lot more on rhythm. The tracks are custom "designed" for the song (afaik) and as the music is midi or tracker based, this is relatively easy to do. As such, your timing is a lot more important. In audiosurf, the computer creates a track based on an mp3 file, so the track is less "on the beat".

IMO it's harder than audiosurf, but i love both!

tawal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, great! I am a huge, huge Amplitude fan. Curious to know how this controls, though... Amplitude without the PS2 shoulder buttons sounds not so great.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, great! I am a huge, huge Amplitude fan. Curious to know how this controls, though... Amplitude without the PS2 shoulder buttons sounds not so great.
There are a few control schemes available AFAIK, but the default config is to have L and R control the left and right parts, while X controls the middle part. Left and Right move you from track to track.

I just bought Audiosurf tonight and it reminded me heavily of AmplituDS. They're different, but both fun.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell yeah! It's been quite a while since the last update of this game.

This is my favorite homebrew game(and lets face it, most aren't that good at all, but this one kicks ass), and everyone should give it a try. It's just as fun as Amplitude on the PS2.

C3NTY64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.radio-ninty.co.uk
XP
Country

This is my favorite homebrew game(and lets face it, most aren't that good at all, but this one kicks ass), and everyone should give it a try. It's just as fun as Amplitude on the PS2.

What do you mean most arent that good at all I have about 30 homebrew games and programs on my Ds and all of them are brilliant stuff like AmplituDS, Pocket Physics, Colours, Warcraft TowerDefense, DSDoom, Quake 2, DSOrganise, Lemmings, WordUp!, GeoWars, DiceWars even testing programs like DiagnoSe are all brilliant and I say to the coders keep it up because even a game in Alpha with hardly any features probably has more originality and fun than anything Ubisoft have put out for the DS.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

What do you mean most arent that good at all I have about 30 homebrew games and programs on my Ds and all of them are brilliant stuff like AmplituDS, Pocket Physics, Colours, Warcraft TowerDefense, DSDoom, Quake 2, DSOrganise, Lemmings, WordUp!, GeoWars, DiceWars even testing programs like DiagnoSe are all brilliant and I say to the coders keep it up because even a game in Alpha with hardly any features probably has more originality and fun than anything Ubisoft have put out for the DS.
He said homebrew games. Half the ones you mentioned aren't games. I too agree it's one of the best hb games and yeah Ubisoft suck ass at making games for DS (and Wii). Telly Addicts for example.
cry.gif

C3NTY64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.radio-ninty.co.uk
XP
Country
Only 3 I mentioned arent games. I just don't like people criticising homebrew when they clearly know nothing about it and are not clever enough to make any themselves. It's like watching football and shouting at players as if you could do better.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone ever make any new levels for this?
I tried making a couple at one point, but it's very difficult. Someone said earlier that the use of a tracker format (.IT) makes it easier to create the levels, but in practice it really doesn't. Ultimately you still have to adjust the location of each target manually because where you actually want them rarely match up exactly with the beginnings notes in the tracker file. The only advantage the tracked music provides is that you can just repeat your manually created target pattern any time the matching pattern in the IT file repeats, but that's about it.

Like I said, I gave it a try a couple times, but even with the simple track I chose for my second attempt, it just ended up being too much work. Maybe someone else would have more luck than me, though. I don't have a very good sense of rhythm to begin with, so that probably made it a lot harder for me.

...word is boindage...

Devil_Spawn

Trophies
XP
Country
Did anyone ever make any new levels for this?

I tried making a couple at one point, but it's very difficult. Someone said earlier that the use of a tracker format (.IT) makes it easier to create the levels, but in practice it really doesn't. Ultimately you still have to adjust the location of each target manually because where you actually want them rarely match up exactly with the beginnings notes in the tracker file. The only advantage the tracked music provides is that you can just repeat your manually created target pattern any time the matching pattern in the IT file repeats, but that's about it.

Like I said, I gave it a try a couple times, but even with the simple track I chose for my second attempt, it just ended up being too much work. Maybe someone else would have more luck than me, though. I don't have a very good sense of rhythm to begin with, so that probably made it a lot harder for me.

...word is boindage...

to be honest, it sounds like you may have been doing it wrong, i am currently working on the tutorial on making a song, so hopefully that will clear a few things up!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended