AMD Catalyst Control Center Issues

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by uberpubert69, Aug 29, 2013.

1. uberpubert69
    OP

uberpubert69 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    United States
    I just got a Toshiba 32L1350U 120Hz LED TV and have been trying to get my desktop to run at 120Hz but have been unsuccessful at every turn. I have an AMD A10 APU and my catalyst control center wont even load to allow me to make such changes. I have used the AMD cleaner utility and driver sweeper and other programs to clean my PC of all prior installations and after wiping my PC clean and doing a fresh install it still does not want to load when I open it. The Generic PnP driver for the monitor does not allow me to choose 120Hz.

I have also tried to read the TVs manual. The 120Hz mode is constantly enabled. My pc just wont recognize it with the PnP windows display driver. I just want to get CCC working so I can change the refresh rate.

2. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Your TV may have an internal 120Hz refresh rate, but it will only accept up to a 60Hz input signal. It's is a filthy trick and it boggles my mind how they can get away with it.

The 120Hz comes in when the TV interpolates a second images between two frames to allow for a "smoother" look to the source being shown. OEM's all have different names for the tech involved in doing this, but it all works under the same principle.

Obviously, this raises the question of how accurate the "new" frame is (in cases of fast movement, not very) and of how much lag is introduced by having to calculate that middle frame.

Most TV's now have a "gaming" mode to turn this feature off, and from what I've read and experienced, this can reduced the lag from ~70ms to ~16ms. So pretty significant.

CCC is pretty useless nowadays unless you have a Xfire setup, and I'm pretty sure you may not even need it then. One thing you may need it for, however, is to adjust for overscan.