Gaming AMD Athlon dual core

cheez203

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys. i have a amd athlon dual core processor and i know dual core means 2 proccesors and when i go to system settings it says my speed is 2.31 ghz. Does that mean per processor or for both of them combined?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Do not make the mistake of thinking that this means you have a 4.62GHz processor. You don't. You have two cores on one die each running at 2.31GHz.

cheez203

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
myuusmeow said:
Do not make the mistake of thinking that this means you have a 4.62GHz processor. You don't. You have two cores on one die each running at 2.31GHz.

Sorry im not really good at this so you mean my pc is still at only 2.31 so not 4.62 even though i have two cores?

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cheez203 said:
myuusmeow said:

Sorry im not really good at this so you mean my pc is still at only 2.31 so not 4.62 even though i have two cores?
It means they don't add together to equal a 4.62 ghz

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cheez203 said:
myuusmeow said:

For example I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz. That's a dual core but when I rate the core the combined performance is 3.795 or something like that.

I found out the speed of my cores on this website

Try to run the test on Batman Arkham Asylum. that one gives you your core speed. Not all game rate the speed of the core

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Each core allows you to do a task. Having multiple cores allows you to do multiple tasks at once.

Let's say that the task is baking a cake. You have to mix the batter, then bake the cake, then decorate it. These three steps cannot be done out of order, you cannot do two or more at the same time. You have to do the first step, then do the second, then the third... so more cores (more people cooking) wouldn't speed it up.

However, if the task was making spaghetti, then multiple cores could speed it up. You could have one person cooking the sauce, another cooking the meat, and a third cooking the noodles, all at the same time. Three cores are being used, the entire process is almost three times as fast as cooking them all in order one at a time.

So whether programs benefit from multiple cores or not is entirely up to the program in question.

http://rydian.net/myths/view.php?id=processors.txt

This explains more.

D

Deleted User

Great explanation Rydian. From: Virginia, just caught my eye...I thought it was a coincidence, but we're in the same state >_>. lol On another note someone might want to talk about the current state of affairs with multi-core optimization and hyper-threading.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Virginia Beach here.

What I meant was more that the task itself determines if there can be a speed boost from it, if it's a task that's not suited to parallel processing, then no amount of smart programmers can make it get a boost from multiple cores.

Take a browser, for instance. It has to request the data, get it, assemble it into the bones of a page, apply the stylesheet(s), and then whatever javascript processing needs to be done. That's a pretty linear task, so the only real speedups we've had consist of breaking down tabs into multiple windows (IE8 and chrome do it, firefox will be doing it soon) so that at least multiple instances of the browsing task can gain a benefit, though not a single one.

When you toss in plugins and such (which usually get their own thread in multi-thread browsing) there is a more noticeable benefit, especially for crap like flash, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."