Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Keylogger, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Keylogger
    OP

Keylogger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 3, 2006
    France
    i sold my Wii U to a guy on internet.

Before give it to that guy, I wanted to format it!

I had CBHC installed on my Wii U and I formatted it!
    I completely forgot to remove CBHC before formatting... Now my VC DS game is gone and my Wii U won't boot at all (stuck on Wii U loading screen)

Am I totally screwed now?

EDIT: damn we absolutely need a NAND backup restoring solution for Wii U

Last edited by Keylogger, Jan 20, 2017
  2. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    Yeah, Screwed. Didnt you brick the vWii side of your WiiU before actually bricking the hole system?

3. Keylogger
    OP

May 3, 2006
    France
    Yep vWii was bricked but that guy didn't care about vWii! But now the whole system is fucked up :/

4. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Your xml is now pointing to a deleted title. There's nothing you can do to fix this. I asked people on the wiiubru irc, and they agreed that your system is bricked.

5. Keylogger
    OP

May 3, 2006
    France
    Damn! I have a lot of NAND backups! Too bad there is no solution to restore them!
    Making NAND dumps is pretty useless

6. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    He'll defo be pissed now... Give him a refund & cut your losses I guess.

7. Whovian NineThreeSixNine

Whovian NineThreeSixNine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    United States
    If you do a HARDMOD, you could (at least theoretically) restore a NAND backup

Edit:

Thus making NAND backups 100% NOT USELESS.

Refund the guy and tell him what happened.

Last edited by Whovian NineThreeSixNine, Jan 20, 2017
  8. sTo0z

sTo0z GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2004
    United States
    USA
    RIP

Prmtymethegamer and Keylogger like this.
  9. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    How the fuck did you forgot about CBHC before formating your Wii U?

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    it's things like this that have made me not want to use coldboot hax. I have too much money tied up in the console since I bought everything digitally.

PTKickass and ItsKipz like this.
  11. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Don't worry about it, as long as you aren't stupid you'll be fine, CBHC bricks are 100% user error.

12. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Calling someone stupid for being forgetful is a little harsh, in my honest opinion a hack like this should have never been released to the public without some kind of protection. A user should be able to format without fear of bricking. Why everyone recommends to people\noobs to install it is beyond me. launching haxchi everytime isn't that hard. Just my 2 cents

13. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, i dont need CBHC and if i ever get haxchi i'll be fine with that, but if you look at how CBHC actually works it makes perfect sense why it bricks when you format.

14. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    FIX tried to disable formatting, but he couldn't figure it out. I don't think that he should hold back his work b/c noobs might brick. People need to recognize the risks inherent in messing with these things, and take responsibility when they brick because of user error.

ItsKipz likes this.
  15. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    Its not like on every boot it displays that cbhc is on the system and in the system menu it says its on version 99.99.99 and the title is called DONT TOUCH ME but ok I guess shit happens; and yes while I do already block against deleting, moving and overinstalling, whatever formatting does is different and in code I did not understand yet how it actually works and it'll probably take me a bit. that said I'm sure that it can be blocked eventually too with probably a very simple patch to cbhc.
    Oh and to the guy who said I shouldn't have released it, I dont want the wiiu to never get anything, also without any public testing things wouldnt just magically improve on its own, right now formatting is literally the only way to brick anyways, everything else is already accounted for.

Last edited by FIX94, Jan 20, 2017
    Tony_93, bostonBC, Risingdawn and 5 others like this.
  16. Zerok1ller

Zerok1ller Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2016
    United States
    Well, in my honest opinion.. a user shouldn't be installing stuff they don't know anything about... When they release stuff like that.. you can't blame the DEV, is all your choice if you wan it or not.. just know that if you do is your fault if you brick noone else... Fix94 doesn't release stuff so people can brick.. he just do it for the community and probably learning experience. so if you want a User to be able to format without fear of bricking... well.... don't install cbhc or better yet don't hack your system.

Tony_93 and ItsKipz like this.
  17. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    Also, formatting is 100% a brick, which makes perfect sense.