Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by ChaosBoi, Sep 2, 2009.

Sep 2, 2009

Am I screwed? by ChaosBoi at 1:01 AM (769 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. ChaosBoi
    OP

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Okay, I was recently infected with something called Windows Police Pro or whatever, but I managed to fix it with some instructions on the site. However, when I try to open any files or something, I get all these errors! This includes the sfc.exe, System Restore, and even Add/Remove Programs! I did multiple Spybot S&D and Avast scans, but it wasn't able to solve this issue. Avast has found suspicious files and stuff (In which I deleted) but that also didn't help. It also said something about a virus or whatever in the operation's memory. I allowed it to scan before startup when it prompted me to restart, but that also didn't help at all.

Does anyone know how I can fix this, or am I screwed?

2. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Malwarebytes.org

If you cant shut it down by deleting, rename the executable [​IMG] .

With spybot (advanced option)you can show the startup list and there by you can remove those.

But malwarebytes is pretty much something that gets the job done.

3. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Run all the anti-virus programs you have, in safe mode. Or possibly do a system restore from a few days/weeks ago.

4. ChaosBoi
    OP

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    Okay, I managed to solve the problem but now I have discovered another issue. Whenever I move a file from one drive to the other, the audio playback from my computer lags. It's not just a specific sound, it's pretty much anything that comes out of the speaker! Does anyone know what may be causing it, and/or how I can fix it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I solved it myself. Turns out it was a DMA/PIO problem with the hard drive.

5. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    In future you could have avoided all of these problems by doing regular full system backups using drive imaging programs such as Acronis True Image or Drive Snapshot.

I see so many threads with people spending hours trying to recover from system problems or virus/trojan issues when a system image would have saved them so much time.

6. rctgamer3

Member rctgamer3 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
  7. Whipple

Member Whipple GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lodis, you are so right!

No one really realizes how important a back-up is until they lose everything.
    The programs and O/S can be reloaded, it is your important data that often is lost.

No one really realizes how much effort can be saved with a drive image until they use one.
    At the suggestion of a friend I use Norton Ghost to an external USB drive on a weekly schedule.

Something happened, I picked up something nasty, there was drive corruption, whatever.
    My system was hosed. Two clicks to restore the drive to the last backup. No pain, no strain, and back in business.

It is always easier to listen and learn from the experience of others, than to have to experience it all for yourself.

8. Acetic Orcein

Member Acetic Orcein GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Just curious, what's the preferred back up program/tool people use?
    Drive Snapshot looks quite interesting...