Almond Eggs.

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by The Teej, Mar 24, 2008.

Mar 24, 2008

Almond Eggs. by The Teej at 11:42 PM (1,244 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. The Teej
    OP

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Hey all. On my degree course we get to learn some stuff in 3DS Max, so I'm currently in the process of doing just that. Along the way, we get shown various techniques and tutorials. One of my latest ones was a "Bowl and Egg" tutorial, where the point of the tutorial was to teach you about texture properties for surfaces and the different types of lighting. I finished the tutorial, and I ended up with a glass table and a bowl with some... really gone off looking eggs. So I searched around on the internet for eggs and made a quick-and-easy egg texture in photoshop. The only problem was, no light was getting to the inside of the bowl. Great :/

In the end I moved my main light source to the top of the bowl, and shoved an omni light to where the main light source was, and the final thing turned out great! The only thing is, as I've shown it people, due to the size of the eggs a lot of people have said they actually look like almonds [​IMG] Hence the name Almond Eggs, hehe. Here it is:

[​IMG]
    (thumbnail, of course).

What do you guys think? Feedback, comments? It was just a random tut and nothing progressive, bear in mind.

If anyone really likes it, I'll gladly re-render the image into your wallpaper size, although you'll have to give me a few days because I don't have 3DS Max at home.

2. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Hm, not bad, not bad at all. I really like the texture of the bowl. Also, the the others are right, those do look a bit small to be eggs; calling them almonds seems like a pretty solid fit. There's some rough edges around image and the "almonds" could look a bit more almond-y (a line or two, here or there). However how the image itself is done in such a way that your eye is caught by the bowl and the table, so it's not immediately noticeable. Nice work. [​IMG]

3. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Maybe people thought they were almonds because of the shape? I ain't seen no eggs that look that shape... ( that I've eaten )

4. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ah well, they're actually designed to be eggs, so I'll probably scale them up instead of retexturing them. Also, what rough edges? If you mean the bowl, that's due to a bad welding situation before I applied the NURMS sub-division. It looked worse without, though.

EDIT: shaun - yeah, the eggs are a pretty weird shape, actually. I'll probably resize and then rerender [​IMG]

5. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    looks good, i've done some texturing in 3ds Max before

and yeah they do look like almonds.

6. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    Looks like something I ate once ( Not eggs) or like stones that you find near water usually , Great stones for water skipping ... or like eggs , But I find them more like eggs if it was white [​IMG]

Great job with the lights , shade and the effects you made with the glass REALLY liked it.

7. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks all for the comments [​IMG] I'll definitely take them into consideration, I might even do a retouch.

8. drock360

Member drock360 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    WOW! Thats sick homie! Keep making those!

9. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    it looks good, but why eggs in a bowl?

Just wondering, the first thing I'd put in the bowl would be fruit or cereal.

10. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    The tutorial I followed was to put eggs in a bowl, I really don't know why [​IMG] I just followed it at the time [​IMG]

11. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    that's hot