Alien Vs predator ban overturned in australia.

Cermage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
he game was initially banned due to graphic gore, but the Board has given it an MA15+ rating with the warning "strong science fiction violence".

The Board explained in a statement that the violent scenes – originally deemed too graphic for Australia due to the lack of an R rating for games – can be allowed at an MA15+ level as they "are not prolonged and are interspersed with longer non violent sequences".
"The violence is fantastical in nature and justified by the context of the game, set in a futuristic science-fiction world, inhabited by aliens and predators," the Board said.

"This context serves to lessen its impact."

"The more contentious violence is randomly generated and is not dependent on player selection of specific moves."

Earlier this month, the game's UK developer had refused to modify the game after the initial Australian ban.

"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices," Rebellion Developments told gaming blog CVG.

"Our game is not suitable for game players who are not adults."

Australia is one of the only developed nations in the world without an R18+ rating for games.

This month, the Government called for public input on the matter after seeing research that shows the average Australian gamer is aged 30.
source: Heraldsun
Lets hope this can pass for some future games as well
grog.gif

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No. This game should be banned. It is not suitable for persons under 18 years. It is possibly the most graphic game out and by getting this classified, we are giving Michael Atkinson ammunition.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The whole violence in videogames deal already came to a saturation point, anyway... now everything has realistic blood and bla, bla, bla... I hope a lot of these games get released one after the other so that people can finally get bored with this sort of deal (my game is more violent than yours! lololol n00b!) and start caring about "trivial" things like GAMEPLAY again.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Edgedancer said:
No. This game should be banned. It is not suitable for persons under 18 years. It is possibly the most graphic game out and by getting this classified, we are giving Michael Atkinson ammunition.
are you being serious?
doesn't matter to me i was gonna download still get the game anyway
tongue.gif

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:

That better be sarcasm.

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
it is not.
he is right this game should not be provided to people under the age of 18.
if we manage to get 18+ rating maybe we will see quite a few games with a 18+ rating in the future.

mb01

Trophies
XP
Country
Edgedancer said:
IDIOT!!
Its only a game mate, people like you are the reason we dont have an R18 rating and games get banned. Maybe there should just be more interest in parents and retail outlets actually making sure 10 year olds are not buying games like this.

Edgedancer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mb01 said:
Edgedancer said:
IDIOT!!
Its only a game mate, people like you are the reason we dont have an R18 rating and games get banned. Maybe there should just be more interest in parents and retail outlets actually making sure 10 year olds are not buying games like this.
Believe it or not but I am a major advocate for the R18+ rating being implemented in Australia. I commend Rebellion for their refusal to censor their game but when the game is available to persons older in the rest of the world, in its original form, it can be seen that we are currently behind the times in this regard.
That said, it can be seen as a double edged sword. It's great that it's getting a local release, but less than great that it's being released as MA15+. I really think this will end up reflecting very badly on the classification board, and really give Atkinson some iron-clad defense for his arguments. This is absolutely a perfect example of why the R18+ category is necessary, but you just know it's going to be used to further attempt to block it's introduction.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Gaisuto said:
You're not familiar with the Facehugger are you.
It's the bad kind of hugging
ph34r.gif

What's the rationale behind banning games that would be rated R? Why don't they have that classification? "We can't effectively enforce a ban on sales of R-rated games to minors, so we'll ban those games altogether", most likely. But they can't openly admit their inability to prevent kids from buying adult material, so I'm sure there's an "official" explanation. I would love to hear it.

Edgedancer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Veho said:
Gaisuto said:
You're not familiar with the Facehugger are you.
It's the bad kind of hugging
ph34r.gif

What's the rationale behind banning games that would be rated R? Why don't they have that classification? "We can't effectively enforce a ban on sales of R-rated games to minors, so we'll ban those games altogether", most likely. But they can't openly admit their inability to prevent kids from buying adult material, so I'm sure there's an "official" explanation. I would love to hear it.
Direct quote from Atkinson. "We're doing it for the children." He believes that a R18+ rating will give us titles like Rapeplay, which is in direct conflict with the official discussion papers.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Meh...I'm surprise you people are celebrating about that this game can be release to your country; however, the government is trying to take measures to prevent children from playing games that aren't their age. Seriously, how many Xbox live matches that had you played where children teach like pricks and idiots while playing rated M game? Too many freakin times!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Edgedancer said:
Direct quote from Atkinson. "We're doing it for the children." He believes that a R18+ rating will give us titles like Rapeplay, which is in direct conflict with the official discussion papers.
But that's why it's 18+. Sure, banning it altogether it's to prevent minors from getting their hands on such material (which endeavour is doomed from the start; internet), but it's also pretty much an open confession that the legislation couldn't enforce a ban on selling 18+ material to minors.

QUOTE(Canonbeat234 @ Dec 21 2009, 11:49 AM) however, the government is trying to take measures to prevent children from playing games that aren't their age.
Wrong, the government is trying to take measures to prevent anyone from playing games that aren't appropriate for children. Any game that would get an 18+ classification is refused classification and so de facto banned. Left 4 Dead 2 is banned in Australia.

Edgedancer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
driverzx said:
Why the hell doesn't Australia have a 18+ rating? Anyway, the people who really want the game can always get a copy imo.
But is it certainly becoming riskier. I know of a couple of people that imported the uncut version of Left 4 Dead 2 who got it taken by customs and fined $1000.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Why are you guys just complaining about this being let through? If you can't handle the gore, then don't buy it and go play Hello Kitty Island Adventure. However, for those who can handle it and who want it, now they can get it without paying ridiculous amounts for imports and having it be fined by customs. Also, couldn't they just require people to be carded before buying a game? It's like alcohol. I'm pretty sure that's required for M-rated titles here in the States (although not a lot of people care since odds are, if you're under 18 and going to buy the game, you'll have an 18+ guardian). And yeah, parents will buy the game for their less-than-18 kids, but who cares? That's the parent's decision, and that's what the whole MA18+ thing should be. Letting parents choose if a video game is appropriate for their kid.

And, Mr. Atkinson, Rapeplay is my favorite games! Don't be hatin'!

That was sarcasm, buttholes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel