AKAIO or Acekard?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Yusuky, May 17, 2009.

May 17, 2009

AKAIO or Acekard? by Yusuky at 2:53 AM (1,761 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Yusuky
    OP

Newcomer Yusuky Advanced Member

Brazil
    I use AKAIO ever since I bough my ak2.1 cart, and the reason to do that was solely because of Rune Factory that didn't run and because of the save type selection (to run JUS translated & cia), but now I'm having a BIG doubt:

And now? Has Acekard turned out to become better than AKAIO?

That's because I'm having slowdowns in some games like DB Origins and CoD WW (but in the end I think it's just my class 4 SD).

Long story short:

How is the situation of Ak2? Has solved those problems I quoted that made me choose AKAIO? Is now faster? How is the compatibility list? Does the team keep updating frequently?

Sorry the disturb and the engrish =D

LOL WITCH, HAUhAUhAUHAuAHuhuHUah WHICH SORRY

2. MUDjoe2

Newcomer MUDjoe2 Advanced Member

United States
    AKAIO is always the better choice 99.999999999% of the time. ESPECIALLY for a 2.1. I literally have had NO problems with AKAIO. Great compatability, load times, 3in1 support, fantastic firmware.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    akaio is updated daily, public loaders come out all the time. the loaders fix issues as they are found. norm was the first with the gta fix, actually he has been first with a few of the recent fixes. your slow down is due to a lack of using the panasonic formatter and the slower class4 card. once the game is patched and running, its all up to the msd.

for more information please read the akaio wiki.

the official firmware is never updated. sometimes the "loader" found in the akmenu4.nds is updated. they may fix 1 or 2 games every few months but the firmware itself has remained the same. akaio is constantly tweaked, updated, recoded, adjusted, optimized, etc.

-another world

4. Camshi

Newcomer Camshi Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Acekard for the card to run happy, smoothe and easy for most. AKAIO when you want continual updates and an even smoother edge [​IMG]

5. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    If I may ask?
    What's so damn important about using the panasonic formatter anyway? Is the windows formatter not sufficient?
    I mean the Panasonic formatter doesn't let you choose the file format or the allocation unit size.

Edit: Read the wiki.
    So, it basically adheres to the SD card specification, gotcha.

6. Camshi

Newcomer Camshi Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    If you have just purchased the card and are about to use it, don't worry about formatting it in my opinion. Just do if if your planning to switch from flash carts teams [​IMG]

7. Another World

Colombia
    if it was formatted at the factory they used a bulk station formatter. its basically a computer interface designed to format multiple cards at one time. those are o/s formatters, usually, and do not format to the specific sd specifications. keep in mind that the windows formatter, for example, was designed many years before sd was even thought of. the panasonic formatter will format to the correct industry standards thus providing the best performance for your card. this is something that is extremely important when we are dealing with roms, due to the exact timing that some roms require. changing the cluster size is a trick for cards 2gb and smaller. it allows some files to execute more quickly as more info is in that cluster. it really only appears to help with large files, like the quake pak files, etc. cluster size adjustments is something that isn't needed on the larger capacity sd cards.

feel free to run bench tests on various cards to see what format style helps the performace the most. if you do please report your findings back to us =).

by choice you can do whatever it is you wish. but when you complain about slow down and you haven't tried the panasonic formatter, you have not truly debugged the issue. at that point you really can't put the blame on anything.

there is more info on the sd specifics here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

-another world

8. Yusuky
    OP

Newcomer Yusuky Advanced Member

Brazil
    I already formatted with panasonic, another world, and even cleaned, so I guess the problem is just the class, anyway. Thanks for the answers =D

9. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    This is an interesting point, I have used the Panasonic formatter (though my last format was with the Windows formatter), and both times I was having slow down issues with Pokémon Platinum.

BUT, the issues were resolved by changing the AKAIO configuration. I had the cheats disabled and that somehow slowed the game down, so I enabled cheats, and even with no cheat list the game ran a lot smoother.

Point being, speed issues aren't always related to the card, it could be a software issue.

10. Another World

Colombia
    the dma methods used in akaio are far superior to the antiquated version used in the official firmware. they make a huge difference inregards to speed and compatibility.

-another world

11. Findecanno

Member Findecanno GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ive always used gparted on linux for all my formatting is that any worse than panasonic? or do they make panasonic for linux?

12. Xarsah16

Member Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

I love AKAIO - I remember when I ran Pokemon Ranger with the official firmware, it would get stuck on saving, and with AKAIO there was no problem at all. Such a simple fix, wow.

And the best thing was that I, myself haven't noticed any interface changes. I might be wrong, there might be a small few things, but it's so easy to use that a monkey could do it. I was actually looking for a topic on the differences between the two, and I found my answer here =)

13. Martiin

Member Martiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    deleted